Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Sonata Nf Questions

• Please log in to reply

jackson

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

jackson

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
Good to hear there ARE some believers in Hyundai.

being a trajet owner myself, i too prefer not to say or boast what i'm driving. Let's keep this discussion as hyundai malaysia best kept secret.

I am just waiting for the sonata YF, ix35, facelifted santafe.

Wonder when and at what price they'll be.

Regards,
closet hyundai owner
It's easy when you know how...

kcfu

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:11 PM

kcfu

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts
They dump in some liquid for engine cleaning and another for the fuel tank. Cost me RM20 each, ATF cost me about RM100? Labour I dunno - I think it was a package or something.

Did some alignment at RM25 and installed my ICE unit at RM190 wz some additional signal cables. Next week, will be putting Autotexx leather in it at Rm1200. Then, a perfect ride! smile_approve.gif

I had a week in the 08 camry and a few test drives in the accord. Honestly, I think the NVH of the sonata is the best amonst all the heavily promoted marques. The handling is substantially better around corners with the multilink suspension. Could do better with HWL and 17 incher. So far no complains except the fabric seat is getting soiled easily by the mechanics. smile_thumbup.gif

BTW, the fuel tank capacity is 70 litres? Yet to check on FC. Have doubts if the FC is good.
I would have quoted someone smart here and make me look smart but not as much smarter as the smart one I quoted from. I'm smart, yeah!

Kevin

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (kcfu @ Nov 24 2009, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They dump in some liquid for engine cleaning and another for the fuel tank. Cost me RM20 each, ATF cost me about RM100? Labour I dunno - I think it was a package or something.

Did some alignment at RM25 and installed my ICE unit at RM190 wz some additional signal cables. Next week, will be putting Autotexx leather in it at Rm1200. Then, a perfect ride! smile_approve.gif

I had a week in the 08 camry and a few test drives in the accord. Honestly, I think the NVH of the sonata is the best amonst all the heavily promoted marques. The handling is substantially better around corners with the multilink suspension. Could do better with HWL and 17 incher. So far no complains except the fabric seat is getting soiled easily by the mechanics. smile_thumbup.gif

BTW, the fuel tank capacity is 70 litres? Yet to check on FC. Have doubts if the FC is good.

Those additional treatments are called "additives" and are totally unnecessary unless you have lots of money to throw around. I always opt out for those things. They cost around RM50 per bottle which explains why your charges are so "high".

Sometimes it is good to ask for more details when faced with a statement that something is "expensive". With just your initial comment, some Japanese car fan will pick it up and tell the whole world that Sonatas are "very expensive to maintain". When in actual fact, it isn't smile_approve.gif

Soiled seats equates to lousy mechanics and lousy service advisors who do not check and clean their cars before returning them to the customer. I do not get this crap from Hyumal Glenmarie where I send my car to.

Fuel tank is approximately 63 litres.

jayraptor

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Nov 24 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I drive a Korean car, I keep quiet. I only brag to everyone when I drive a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord!!! smile_tongue.gif

I bought the CBU unit from Sime but at the cheaper price. You should know what I am referring to. I won't be seen dead in the previous KB units with those stupid add-ons.

My FC is currently 9 to 10km/litre in 100% city driving. It improves substantially on the highways.

A fantastic car but don't tell anyone else.

No wonder not many know that Sonata NF comes with good FC. Because all Sonata NF owners tend to keep to themselves. People won't believe that Sonata NF is considered the 1st with perfected engine, gearbox and build quality. Whenever I tell tech-illiterate people on Sonata NF capability, they'll say that in my dream yes.

1 more thing that caused not many people to buy Sonata NF is due to kausikoon technique from local Jap car companies marketing & sales dept that kept spreading older generation Korean cars flaws around to give bad perception on the newer generation. 1 thing I found out is that they have never tried the Sonata FC and handling at all. That heavy Santa Fe's FC can beat CRV, RAV4, Fortuner, Hilux, Navara & Frontier, does any1 believe? Not many.

kcfu

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:32 PM

kcfu

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts
So, when is the next NF gathering? Should meet up and share info. smile_thumbup.gif
I would have quoted someone smart here and make me look smart but not as much smarter as the smart one I quoted from. I'm smart, yeah!

leongchai

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

leongchai

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
Ah finally found some nf owners. Am looking at the sonata as a replacement for my old wajunk.
Few questions
1. Anyone changed any major parts yet ? Reason is, not sure if this could be an issue later as there are not many units sold and sime may not keep any stock of the expensive and rarely used parts. Planning to keep this car for >8yrs
2. What's the cost of services ? 10k, 20k, 30k etc. For sure the camry even vios is blardy expensive.
3. Any more CBU ? Dealer said no more, all CKD, 2.0 selling at 110 now, 6k disc
4. What are the things to look out for in this car, ie known problems ?
5. Any other good stuff to mention.

thanks in advance

htan7

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

htan7

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
QUOTE (leongchai @ Nov 30 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah finally found some nf owners. Am looking at the sonata as a replacement for my old wajunk.
Few questions
1. Anyone changed any major parts yet ? Reason is, not sure if this could be an issue later as there are not many units sold and sime may not keep any stock of the expensive and rarely used parts. Planning to keep this car for >8yrs
2. What's the cost of services ? 10k, 20k, 30k etc. For sure the camry even vios is blardy expensive.
3. Any more CBU ? Dealer said no more, all CKD, 2.0 selling at 110 now, 6k disc
4. What are the things to look out for in this car, ie known problems ?
5. Any other good stuff to mention.

thanks in advance

This is base on my experience after ~ 20 months covering ~ 34k km.
1. No major part changed so far, infact no part changed so far except oil and filters. Kia Optima and Sonata share lots of parts - in case that make you feel better (or more comfortable) laugh.gif
2. Mine is service by Kah Bintang since day 1, and they insists on 5k interval even with fully syn smile_angry.gif For service by Kah Bintang, it's about RM120 for 5 liter (4+1) of semi-sync Castrol Magnetic. oil filter and washer for standard service, you can decline all the others add-on such as engine treatment, engine flush and etc. Labour charge is very reasonable (cheaper or on par with others). Other services - auto transmission fluid is slightly about RM100 if not mistaken, power steering (can't remember actual cost, but not expensive); have not done others such as brake fluid. Air con service is costlier, but I think it is still cheaper than other cars in the same segment from what I read. Service intervals are quite standard. Overall service cost is quite reasonable, in fact cheaper than my previous car (Sentra).
3. CBU? Yes, saw some second hand Sonata NF which are CBU. For new car, all are CKD.
4. The only things that may annoy you is the arm rest/center storage. It is not as solid as it should be and it does make some sounds, but nothing major. Another common issues (from other countries) is the sun visor which break easily - but I've not encontered this issue so far, not sure if other NF owner is Malaysia had this issue before.
5. If you don't care much about the look of the car and can find a good Kia service center, Kia Optima is another option that you can consider - they are pretty much the same car with different styling/shape, and much cheaper now - < $80+k. The other plus is - you don't have to worry that much on car theft since this is not a popular car. biggrin.gif

leongchai

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

leongchai

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
QUOTE (htan7 @ Nov 30 2009, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is base on my experience after ~ 20 months covering ~ 34k km.
1. No major part changed so far, infact no part changed so far except oil and filters. Kia Optima and Sonata share lots of parts - in case that make you feel better (or more comfortable) laugh.gif
2. Mine is service by Kah Bintang since day 1, and they insists on 5k interval even with fully syn smile_angry.gif For service by Kah Bintang, it's about RM120 for 5 liter (4+1) of semi-sync Castrol Magnetic. oil filter and washer for standard service, you can decline all the others add-on such as engine treatment, engine flush and etc. Labour charge is very reasonable (cheaper or on par with others). Other services - auto transmission fluid is slightly about RM100 if not mistaken, power steering (can't remember actual cost, but not expensive); have not done others such as brake fluid. Air con service is costlier, but I think it is still cheaper than other cars in the same segment from what I read. Service intervals are quite standard. Overall service cost is quite reasonable, in fact cheaper than my previous car (Sentra).
3. CBU? Yes, saw some second hand Sonata NF which are CBU. For new car, all are CKD.
4. The only things that may annoy you is the arm rest/center storage. It is not as solid as it should be and it does make some sounds, but nothing major. Another common issues (from other countries) is the sun visor which break easily - but I've not encontered this issue so far, not sure if other NF owner is Malaysia had this issue before.
5. If you don't care much about the look of the car and can find a good Kia service center, Kia Optima is another option that you can consider - they are pretty much the same car with different styling/shape, and much cheaper now - < $80+k. The other plus is - you don't have to worry that much on car theft since this is not a popular car. biggrin.gif

Thanks tan.
Someone told me the same story about the Kia and more. Seems that the optima is cbu with only couple of things like doors and stuff being fitted after it arrives. Not sure how true but malaysia boleh. Will definitely check it out. Wonder why naza can "kill" the optima while sime is reluctant to do it at least from my point. smile.gif

Kevin

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
leongchai,
My honest recommendation would be for you to purchase a Kia Optima instead unless you really want a 2.4 litre engine. Kia has been quietly clearing their Optima stocks from 2007/2008 and you can buy a full spec unit for around RM90k. The Optima looks better than the Sonata (IMO), has much better specs than the CKD Sonata, and has a dark interior trim (which I prefer).

The Optima is also SKDed (semi-knocked down) which is basically a CBU car stripped down at Port Klang and reassembled at Gurun by reattaching the doors and tyres. So essentially you can getting a CBU car.

Your price of RM110k is not worth it especially when the Kia Forte 2.0 is only RM93k.

My answers to your queries:
1. My car is 2.5 years old and has travelled 65k km. Major parts changed are:

- Both my sun visors (both changed under warranty). Common problem worldwide with a certain batch of sun visors where the internal tension spring will crack and the sun visor will flop around and refuse to remain in the fully closed or fully opened positions. Driver's side replaced on the spot at Hyumal and I had to wait a day for stocks of the passenger side unit. So parts are available.

- Windscreen. Cracked by a flying stone on the highway. Local windscreens are now available for the Sonata NF. I paid about RM1.5k for a local replacement inclusive of installation. A very decent price considering that the Camry windscreen costs in excess of RM3k.

- Side windows. Cracked by an over-enthusiastic thief who wanted to steal my bag containing my baby's items (hope he likes the nappies, toys and milk powder). Original replacements from Korea were available on the same day. RM643.62 for the front and RM409.07 for the rear. Acceptable prices for me.

- Stop lamp switch (under warranty). This is not what I would consider a "major part" but I really have nothing else to write smile_approve.gif This swtich controls the brake lamps and there was a recall of this switch for some Sonatas whereby the switch failure will cause the ESP system to generate a fault code and thus lighting up the ESP lamp. Not applicable to CKD Sonatas as they do not come with ESP.

- Front brake pads chnaged at 50k km. RM379.95

- Drive shafts changed under warranty (at 50k km) because I complained of a slight cracking sound that happens intermittently when I accelerate. Thought it was my steering links. Hyumal changed my drive shafts with no questions asked. Please don't be alarmed with this item change. I drive like a madman and also, I really do not think the problem was the drive shaft.

2. Cost of service.
Hyumal (not being such a pain like Kah Bintang - may they rest in peace) allows for 10k km service if you use fully-synthetic oil. Labour charges are not included as I found them similar to the rates charged by other distributors.

10k km
Oil filter RM15.30
Engine oil RM253.90 (5 litres)

20k km
Oil filter RM15.30
Engine oil RM93.00 (semi-synthetic as I forgot to remind them to use fully-synthetic)

30k km
Oil filter RM15.30
Engine oil RM199.00 (4 litres used - I don't know why but thanks to them)

40k km
Oil filter RM15.30
Engine oil RM253.90
Spark plugs RM42.16
Flush radiator coolant RM27.20
Flush power steering fluid RM185.25
Flush auto tranny RM285.00

50k km
Oil filter RM13.50
Engine oil RM267.00
Brake pads RM379,95

60k km
Oil filter RM16.20
Engine oil RM253.90
Spark plugs RM44.64 (yes, I changed them too early)
Alternator belt RM132.93
Flush brake fluid FOC
Flush radiator coolant RM27.20 (also changed too early)

3. No more CBU. All CKD now.

4. Yes, the arm rest has a slight squeak if you exert pressure on it. Not a big issue for me.

5. Good stuff? The price. The solidness of the car when compared to the Camry or the Accord. The quietness of the car when on the move. The almost non-intrusive engine note when you drive.

Start up a Camry in the morning and listen to the engine note before the engine warms up. Then compare this sound to the start up of a BMW and the Sonata - you will realise something very amazing.

kcfu,
We never had a Sonata gathering smile_tongue.gif

leongchai

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

leongchai

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
Thanks Kevin for your honest opinion. Did you mean that the sonata is also skd ? I really like the sonata but will keep and open mind and go check out the optima. Just that I have only heard horror stories about kia and have not come across any good words about the kia/naza. Other thing is to find a good kia SC.

Thanks biggrin.gif