Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Sonata Nf Questions

• Please log in to reply

kcfu

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

kcfu

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts
Been reading the threads but cannot find any answers.

1. Any good leather seats to recommend?

2. Is the Desa Tun Razak SA any good? Thought of changing the timing belt there. BTW, does the CBU 2.0 runs on chain or belt? I am not exactly sure.

Thanks.
I would have quoted someone smart here and make me look smart but not as much smarter as the smart one I quoted from. I'm smart, yeah!

Kevin

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:20 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (kcfu @ Nov 17 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Been reading the threads but cannot find any answers.

1. Any good leather seats to recommend?

2. Is the Desa Tun Razak SA any good? Thought of changing the timing belt there. BTW, does the CBU 2.0 runs on chain or belt? I am not exactly sure.

Thanks.

I cannot recommend any leather seat suppliers. I also cannot comment on the Desa Tun Razak service centre as I have not been there.

Both the 2.0 and 2.4 Sonata NFs run on a timing chain. At 60k km, you only change the following:
Engine oil and oil filter
Flush brake fluid
Air filter (if chocked full and unable to clean)
Air-cond filter (if you are the paranoid type and want clean air all the time)

kcfu

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

kcfu

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts
Thanks for info Kevin. You drive a NF as well? More questions! smile_clown.gif

How much does KB/SD charge for tuning the ECU?
Is the tuning set in KB/SD proprietary to only Hyundai cars or can I use other OEM set to do it?

Does KB/SD accept parts and lub brought by the client?

Would you recommend that the car be serviced by other mechie apart from KB/SD?
Why and why not?

Thanks.
I would have quoted someone smart here and make me look smart but not as much smarter as the smart one I quoted from. I'm smart, yeah!

Kevin

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (kcfu @ Nov 18 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for info Kevin. You drive a NF as well? More questions! smile_clown.gif

How much does KB/SD charge for tuning the ECU?
Is the tuning set in KB/SD proprietary to only Hyundai cars or can I use other OEM set to do it?

Does KB/SD accept parts and lub brought by the client?

Would you recommend that the car be serviced by other mechie apart from KB/SD?
Why and why not?

Thanks.

Yes, I drive an NF 2.4.

I haven't been charged for ECU tuning. I know that my ECU settings have been updated at least once with no charges.

The tuning set is proprietary to Hyundai/Kia but you can use other tuning sets to tune the common settings. I am sure there are some proprietary settings in the ECU that only a Hyundai tuning set can tune. Don't quote me on this though.

I have not tried bringing in my own parts and lube because I am happy with SD's pricing and I would think that they follow the general rule of not allowing outside parts and lube just like other distributors.

The NF is generally not a very complex machine. I see no issues with outside mechanics working on the car.

kcfu

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

kcfu

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts
How did you update your settings? Doesn't your ECU setting "run"? Does it not need to be reset say for example if it can no longer read the O2 sensor correctly?

How many airbags does the CBU 2.0 have? 2 on the front?
It does not have TCS too right?

The ICE looks wierd that come with a 2 din clarion. What about yours? What does it have in your 2.4 CKD/CBU? Can I expect 2 speakers infront of my 2.0 as well?

I have neither taken possession or really "seen" the the car yet so that explains my questions.

Thanks.

Kevin

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:04 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (kcfu @ Nov 20 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How did you update your settings? Doesn't your ECU setting "run"? Does it not need to be reset say for example if it can no longer read the O2 sensor correctly?

How many airbags does the CBU 2.0 have? 2 on the front?
It does not have TCS too right?

The ICE looks wierd that come with a 2 din clarion. What about yours? What does it have in your 2.4 CKD/CBU? Can I expect 2 speakers infront of my 2.0 as well?

I have neither taken possession or really "seen" the the car yet so that explains my questions.

Thanks.

ECU settings are always fixed and there will be updates to these fixed settings from the manufacturer from time to time, after taking into account feedback from service centres around the world or improvements from their technical side.

I think what you are referring to is the resetting of fault readings recorded by the ECU. Well, this is done with the same diagnostics machine at the service centre but from my experience with many marques, this is ONLY done when there is a fault to reset in the first place. There are many categories of faults. The minor ones are merely recorded for viewing by the service centre. The major ones will light up a warning on the dashboard asking you to bring the car in. So, I strongly believe that most service centres only reset fault readings when they are major.

Using your example of not being able to read the O2 sensor, yes, you can reset the fault reading but it will only come back again if the root cause of the problem is not fixed. It could be due to improper combustion or a missing/faulty O2 sensor.

2.0 CBU came with 6 airbags and 2 airbags depending on the year of manufacture. TCS is definitely absent in the last batch of 2.0 but I am not sure if the earlier batch had it.

All CBU Sonata NFss came with the Clarion 2 DIN HU with 6 speakers. All CKD Sonata NFs came with the factory HU and 7 speakers.

kcfu

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:16 PM

kcfu

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts
Thanks.

It's quite pricey to send the car to SD in Desa Tun Razak.

Engine oil semi syn, ATF, air and oil filter, s/plugs, reset the ECU + checks comes close to RM500.
Will be there only for majors.

Good service tho + free wifi. 3Hours spent where other w/shops could have me out in an hour.

BTW, the car is manufactured 2006 - so 2 a/bags?

Kevin

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:56 AM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (kcfu @ Nov 23 2009, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks.

It's quite pricey to send the car to SD in Desa Tun Razak.

Engine oil semi syn, ATF, air and oil filter, s/plugs, reset the ECU + checks comes close to RM500.
Will be there only for majors.

Good service tho + free wifi. 3Hours spent where other w/shops could have me out in an hour.

BTW, the car is manufactured 2006 - so 2 a/bags?

You're kidding right? Do you have the breakdown of the items? I use fully synthetic and I will never hit RM500 just by changing the items you changed.

Fully-synthetic oil 5L RM240
Sparks RM40
Oil filter RM16
Labour RM100 (from what I remember, need to check on this)
ATF RM?? but it was peanuts

Unless the air filter costs a bomb. I have yet to change mine.

jayraptor

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Nov 19 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I drive an NF 2.4.

I haven't been charged for ECU tuning. I know that my ECU settings have been updated at least once with no charges.

The tuning set is proprietary to Hyundai/Kia but you can use other tuning sets to tune the common settings. I am sure there are some proprietary settings in the ECU that only a Hyundai tuning set can tune. Don't quote me on this though.

I have not tried bringing in my own parts and lube because I am happy with SD's pricing and I would think that they follow the general rule of not allowing outside parts and lube just like other distributors.

The NF is generally not a very complex machine. I see no issues with outside mechanics working on the car.

Hi Kevin Bro,

Wow, u actually drive Sonata NF? How come you never mentioned b4? Is yours bought from SIME or Kah Bintang? How's your FC in city driving?

The company car here at HQ is 2.4L bought from SIME back in late '06 at RM160+k at that time. FC is incredibly good getting 9km/l under city traffic when got to drive it a plenty back then. It beats almost any car encountered in roominess, NVH, handling, performance & FC. My colleague's so called 16km/L Sylphy returns just 9-9.4km/L vs Sonata NF 2.4 at 9km/L.

Kevin

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:20 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Nov 24 2009, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Kevin Bro,

Wow, u actually drive Sonata NF? How come you never mentioned b4? Is yours bought from SIME or Kah Bintang? How's your FC in city driving?

The company car here at HQ is 2.4L bought from SIME back in late '06 at RM160+k at that time. FC is incredibly good getting 9km/l under city traffic when got to drive it a plenty back then. It beats almost any car encountered in roominess, NVH, handling, performance & FC. My colleague's so called 16km/L Sylphy returns just 9-9.4km/L vs Sonata NF 2.4 at 9km/L.

When I drive a Korean car, I keep quiet. I only brag to everyone when I drive a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord!!! smile_tongue.gif

I bought the CBU unit from Sime but at the cheaper price. You should know what I am referring to. I won't be seen dead in the previous KB units with those stupid add-ons.

My FC is currently 9 to 10km/litre in 100% city driving. It improves substantially on the highways.

A fantastic car but don't tell anyone else.