Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Putting BMW's Diesels To The Test...

• Please log in to reply

TheGunner

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:21 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (timberwolf @ Dec 31 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just 1 question, since the test involve the fuel consumption efficiency and you almost ran out of fuel in this test run. Why u didnt prepare a bottle of fuel with you just in case??

Is for safety reason you know, my friend ran out of fuel in the highway (Fuel meter rosak). Parked the car in the emergency lane, in 10min time he was robbed with a parang pointed to his neck.

A wise pre-caution, though one that didn't cross my mind. Thanks for pointing that out.

In any case, that's why I didn't go on after Pedas Linggi. That would have made it really marginal!!
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

timberwolf

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

timberwolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Dec 31 2009, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A wise pre-caution, though one that didn't cross my mind. Thanks for pointing that out.

In any case, that's why I didn't go on after Pedas Linggi. That would have made it really marginal!!

and thats really "Stretching It" smile_clown.gif

Btw ur driving a BMW, and tht risk of getting robbed is far more higher.

Cheers and Happy New Year

eiling

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

eiling

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
Yeah and then you tell them that that you have no money but I give you the BMW instead! Lol...

TheGunner

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
I just returned the 730Ld this morning after spending a weekend with it. Watch out for the report sometime the next two weeks. smile_wink.gif
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

nazirmz

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:19 PM

nazirmz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts
I've driven the 525d when it was initially brought in(later discontinued due to lukewarm response). It totally changed my perception on the refinement aspect of diesel cars. I've driven couples of Ford diesel sedan in EU but this 525d is really special. And the torque, oh just amazing(reckoned 530d or 535d is heavenly better).

However, good as the car maybe, I think and believe that Malaysia service centers, workshop and even authorised SC are not ready and familiar yet for this technologically advanced diesel angine yet. And this shows with the so far slow public response to the 320d and 520d.

And our Euro 2M diesel quality doesn't help in the perceived dodgy reliability and high maintenance of diesel cars.
Often wrong, never in doubt...

TheGunner

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:32 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (nazirmz @ Jan 4 2010, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've driven the 525d when it was initially brought in(later discontinued due to lukewarm response). It totally changed my perception on the refinement aspect of diesel cars. I've driven couples of Ford diesel sedan in EU but this 525d is really special. And the torque, oh just amazing(reckoned 530d or 535d is heavenly better).

I also test drove the 525d during one of BMW's public test drive events at Hartamas, but it didn't impress me a lot back then. The 530d certainly did.

However, good as the car maybe, I think and believe that Malaysia service centers, workshop and even authorised SC are not ready and familiar yet for this technologically advanced diesel angine yet. And this shows with the so far slow public response to the 320d and 520d.

Change takes time, but I was told that BMW has already sold 10 units of the 730Ld

And our Euro 2M diesel quality doesn't help in the perceived dodgy reliability and high maintenance of diesel cars.

A weird misconception, actually. Diesel engines are practically bullet proof. There's a reason why all heavy commercial vehicles run on diesel.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

ikhong

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

ikhong

6th Gear

• Members
  • 6 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Jan 5 2010, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also test drove the 525d during one of BMW's public test drive events at Hartamas, but it didn't impress me a lot back then. The 530d certainly did.

Change takes time, but I was told that BMW has already sold 10 units of the 730Ld

A weird misconception, actually. Diesel engines are practically bullet proof. There's a reason why all heavy commercial vehicles run on diesel.

it is evident in this thread responses that even after reading the blogs and articles, ppl are still skeptical and still harbour misconceptions about diesel engines, and euro2 diesel.

but kon, u doing a great job. keep up the good work.

Mikeong

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

Mikeong

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Dec 29 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks smile.gif

Yup. You got the intended message. I have been an ardent fan of diesel power for a number of years, having been closely following developments in Europe. I salute BMW for their audacity in launching 4 diesel models, and I certainly hope these models succeed, because it will pave the way for others to come in.

Yeah, and I'm not the first motoring writer to call for it.

Actually, some years back, Proton did come out with a diesel variant of the Wira, but it never really sold.

Driving the diesel wira those days are like sitting on a massage chair(vibration) and a fogging machine with black smoke.

TheGunner

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
I had just tested the 730Ld a couple of weekends back. Here's my take on it.

BMW 730Ld: Oil burning barnstormer
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

TheGunner

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
here's YS' take on the 320d: BMW 320 D – New Generation (Usable) Diesel from BMW
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner