Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Fire Extinguisher In Cars

• Please log in to reply

TheGunner

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:17 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
In wake of AAM's new campaign on encouraging Malaysian's to equip their cars with fire extinguishers, I'm curious to know how many of you do keep one in your cars?

The following is an official press release from AAM on the launch of their new One Car-One Extinguisher Campaign.

DATE: 11 November 2009

ONE CAR-ONE EXTINGUISHER CAMPAIGN IN THE WAKE OF AN INCREASING NUMBER OF CAR FIRES

The Automobile Association of Malaysia (AAM), in collaboration with the Road Safety Department and the Fire Prevention Council of Malaysia (FIPCOM) today launched a campaign to promote the ownership and use of a fire extinguisher in every car in a move aimed at combating vehicle fires.

The One Car-One Extinguisher Campaign is introduced in the wake of the increasing concern of damages caused by vehicle fires.

According to the Malaysian Statistics Department, there are more than 11 million cars in Malaysia of which more than 95% are not equipped with fire extinguishers. An alarming 800 car fires were recorded in 2008 alone. In most cases, car owners were not equipped with an extinguisher to suppress the fire.

The initiative, under the purview of the National Fire Prevention Campaign, was officially launched by Deputy Minister of Transport Yang Berhormat Datuk Robert Lau Hoi Chew at the Tropicana City Mall in Petaling Jaya. Also present were the Road Safety Department Director-General Datuk Suret Singh, and FIPCOM National Chairman Datuk Dr Soh Chai Hock.

“An in-car fire extinguisher is the very first line of defense. It is important that car owners are able to take swift action in suppressing car fires in the crucial first few seconds to prevent excessive damage being caused to their vehicle,” said AAM Chairman Yang Mulia Tunku Datuk Mudzaffar Tunku Mustapha.

The new generation fire extinguishers produced by FIPCOM is a hand-held aerosol dry powder fire extinguisher. It is user-friendly, compact, multi-purpose, complies with Australian, UK and US standards, SIRIM tested and approved by the Fire Services Department.

The fire extinguisher is available from all AAM branches nationwide and is valued at RM59.90. AAM members are entitled to a 20% discount upon renewal of their membership.

For more information, log on to www.aam.org.my

The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

Gunnerzz

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:57 PM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Nov 13 2009, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In wake of AAM's new campaign on encouraging Malaysian's to equip their cars with fire extinguishers, I'm curious to know how many of you do keep one in your cars?

The following is an official press release from AAM on the launch of their new One Car-One Extinguisher Campaign.

I hav 3 portable fire extinguisher,
2 aerosol type,
1 normal small steel bottle one.
All are free gift when my dad send his waja for servicing at eon.

However only 1 of the aerosol FE is kept inside my dad Pajero coz the vehicle is used offroad and if a fire happen in the jungle,its going to be a long trip out.

The other 2 is kept in the house,one in the kitchen and the other one in the living room.

AC19

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

AC19

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 602 posts
the problem is that those on the shelf by DIY shops and shopping malls unable to take temp for vehicles park under hot sun... smile_disapprove.gif smile_disapprove.gif

Newkelisa

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

Newkelisa

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
I keep one in my car. Have not ever used it before and hopefully never will.

Keeping one is one thing but where to secure it is another thing. Some people bolt it on near the front seat or front passenger seat. I have not been able to find a good place to secure it.

I keep mine behind my seat. If I have passengers I keep it in my boot.

Jumpman23

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

Jumpman23

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
Can fire extinguisher withstand heat, will it explode?

toyowira

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:47 AM

toyowira

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
QUOTE (Jumpman23 @ Nov 15 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have one in each of my car,never use for my car but did help to put off the fire on a scooter in year 2005.

Newkelisa

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

Newkelisa

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
QUOTE (toyowira @ Nov 16 2009, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have one in each of my car,never use for my car but did help to put off the fire on a scooter in year 2005.

I believe the fire ext can withstand high temp. The metal casing is very thick. No point using a fire ext to douse fire if it will explode in a fire.

My fire ext is a freebie given by P2. But seriously is it really useful? Especially the small one? For a scooter fire ok but a car?

Logically if there's a fire the best is to get out quickly. Car's can be replaced but not one's life. And car fires can become big and hot very quick and unlike home fires, you have the presence of fuel to make things worse.

SplitFire

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:53 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
QUOTE (Jumpman23 @ Nov 15 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had one in my boot fo rmore than 7yrs. Never explode, but I'm not sure whether still can use or not. smile_big.gif
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

Gunnerzz

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
QUOTE (SplitFire @ Nov 17 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had one in my boot fo rmore than 7yrs. Never explode, but I'm not sure whether still can use or not. smile_big.gif

Go try lah,its fun too.
Then if u know it works,buy a new one as i'm sure u will finish the whole bottle just for trying.
trust me its fun.

If u are using the steel can one,it can be refill.
Aerosol one cannot.

Last time i tried an expired fe at my hostel.
Wahh.....like early morning at highland.thick fog.
Just remember not to inhale it,its irritating.
The sound is like NOS oso.

Along

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:42 PM

Along

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 963 posts
in my opinion, the fire extinguisher is only useful under the following condition:
1. Still in working condition - some (all?) model need to send for periodic checking / refill.
2. U know how to use it immediately. Reading the instruction only when it is time to use is no good.
Throwing it into the fire also no good.
3. Kept in a place where it's easy take out. I have mine in my boot, so if boot on fire it may be useless.
4. Fire is not in the engine compartment with the hood closed.
By the time you realize engine is on fire, it may already spread & u may be injured trying to open the hood & keep it open with heat & flame gushing twd you (especially in cars where you need to keep the hood open using the metal rod).