Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Sprint Highway Kerinchi Link Accident Spot

• Please log in to reply

TheGunner

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
Below is just one of many forwarded emails I usually get in my Inbox. However, this one is a bit more interesting, because I know for a fact that the infamous stretch at Kerinchi Link is quite dangerous. There has been many serious accidents occurring around that sharp bend, where unaware motorists approach too fast and skid out of control

Please beware when using Kerinchi Link. This is a real accident which happened.

Dear Friends,

I had an accident at Kerinchi link yesterday at 630am, Im fine don’t worry I just want to warn every1 to avoid this highway especially on WET DAY!

Well, I was suppose to meet up some friends for a waterfall trip. So I was coming from RTM building, going towards to Damansara, I know there is a curve so I try to press on the brake to slow down a little. But I still lost control at the dangerous curve, the road was wet and just too slippery. See below photo, when I drove on this curve, my car got skidded and my tyre hit the right divider (bang!) Then I saw this wira which had the same accident before me, so I tried to avoid it and controlled my steering driving to the left, I kept trying to press on my car brake but my car just lost control, my god! After that, my car tyre hit the left divider (another big “bang”!) and it jus stopped and cant move at all, engine was still working.

After I get down from my car and crossed over to the right divider, 1 motorcyclist skidded and fell from his motor bike, everyone screamed at him, asking him to get up quickly before any car come and hit him L L L My heart nearly fell out! Huh………….. Then another car got skidded and hit the dividers, so I know how my car got skidded and hit the divider. In total I saw 3 cars and 2 motorbikes had the same accident with my own eyes, real scary, before me, another 3 cars had experienced the same accident! GOSH!!! 1 kancil lady said she only drive 60 per km!

I scream every time when I see any vehicle skidded and hit the divider, almost every car got skidded! Some so lucky because they were driving very slow or their car has good traction control feature, so jus skidded without hitting the dividers, must be slower than 60 per km I guess! GOSH! The 1st photo was taken at abt 645am.

Please don’t use that highway ON WET day, 2 of my friends were driving slowly at the same curve but their car got skidded too! But thank god they didn’t hit the divider. I was on average speed as I know this dangerous curve and I use this highway quite often but never on a wet day. L

Another fren told that his fren had the same experience few month ago, same curve on a wet day too!
Well, this is such a bad road condition! And I had to pay RM300 road compound! How can I complain about Kerinchi link??? I will spread this via facebook too! Can I write a letter to the star??? Im doing it for those car who drove slowly but still had the accidents! No motorcyclist was escape!! None of them! I only saw 2 motorbikes and both skidded and motorcyclists fell down in the middle of the road! How dangerous!

Anybody has any personal experience on this road to share?

Attached Thumbnails

• accident.JPG

The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

TheGunner

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:15 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
I've tried to mark the spot on Google Maps, but the marking has yet to be verified.

Until then, the Google Map coordinates are: 3.118676,101.663384
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

thedoc

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

thedoc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
Well.... the roadsigns did say speed limits are 60 km/h only ! The Kerinchi Link also has these electronic boards that tells you what speed you're going so drivers should slow down when they're approaching that curve.

I also had the same experience albeit on the opposite side of the road from Damansara coming down to Federal Highway going to KL. However, on that day, the weather was hot !!! There was no rain whatosever, even the days before and I was at around 70 km/h..... I still skidded. Luckily, didn't hit the barrier. Instead I saw a 3-series BMW had also skidded before mine and crashed into the barrier on the road heading to PJ.

I was just wondering....... Is it possible for a car to skid even on dry hot days (my car was a Honda City VTEC) ? Or is there something sinister going on there ?

TheGunner

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:56 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (thedoc @ Oct 14 2009, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well.... the roadsigns did say speed limits are 60 km/h only ! The Kerinchi Link also has these electronic boards that tells you what speed you're going so drivers should slow down when they're approaching that curve.

I also had the same experience albeit on the opposite side of the road from Damansara coming down to Federal Highway going to KL. However, on that day, the weather was hot !!! There was no rain whatosever, even the days before and I was at around 70 km/h..... I still skidded. Luckily, didn't hit the barrier. Instead I saw a 3-series BMW had also skidded before mine and crashed into the barrier on the road heading to PJ.

I was just wondering....... Is it possible for a car to skid even on dry hot days (my car was a Honda City VTEC) ? Or is there something sinister going on there ?

Yours was an oversteer skid, or understeer skid?

Oversteer skid could be caused by sudden and excessive mid-corner braking, or if your rear tyres has significantly less grip than your front tyres.

Understeer would simply be because you're going in too fast.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

cfa

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:06 PM

cfa

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts
I used to love speeding on the stretch of the Kerinchi Link. You could see your speed and I always wanted to go faster but balls not big enough. The key to these corners is slow in but fast out if you wish. You should brake before entering into the corner, gradually accelarate and then seed out from the curve.

Once, I wanted to race with a WRX on that stretch, I was on high double digit speed and had to brake entering into the corner but the WRX with all the gizmos did not even brake. That WRX must have been entering into the corner and more than 100 km/h.

Most people try fast in and fast out and thats how accidents happen. Of course, now that I am older, its slow in and slow out.

jepakazoid

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:48 PM

jepakazoid

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
QUOTE (cfa @ Oct 14 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to love speeding on the stretch of the Kerinchi Link. You could see your speed and I always wanted to go faster but balls not big enough. The key to these corners is slow in but fast out if you wish. You should brake before entering into the corner, gradually accelarate and then seed out from the curve.

Once, I wanted to race with a WRX on that stretch, I was on high double digit speed and had to brake entering into the corner but the WRX with all the gizmos did not even brake. That WRX must have been entering into the corner and more than 100 km/h.

Most people try fast in and fast out and thats how accidents happen. Of course, now that I am older, its slow in and slow out.

Although you know your car inside out, there are still a lot of external factors that you cannot control while entering and exiting the famous Kerinchi Link corner for this case. Of course water will reduce the coefficient of friction between your tyres and the road but there are also other factors such as a pasar malam truck taking 2 lanes to tackle the corner issue or mat rempit racing and swerving in and out. Be safe on the road.

TheGunner

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:21 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
I took a drive on that stretch today, and found that my tyres actually felt less grippy from the curve all the way to the toll booth. Even managed to wheel-spin without effort.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

rallychamp

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
not the tyre..not the car..not the driver...

but the towing truck culprit pouring oil onto that spot...even on small quantity but the effect was significant especially when wet as oil residue stay on top of the water....
smile_angry.gif

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

SplitFire

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
QUOTE (rallychamp @ Oct 15 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not the tyre..not the car..not the driver...

but the towing truck culprit pouring oil onto that spot...even on small quantity but the effect was significant especially when wet as oil residue stay on top of the water....
smile_angry.gif

There're bunch of these animal around. smile_angry.gif Wait la.... until their family is innocently killed by their foolish act of pouring oil onto road.
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

V406198

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (SplitFire @ Oct 19 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There're bunch of these animal around. smile_angry.gif Wait la.... until their family is innocently killed by their foolish act of pouring oil onto road.

Not suret about the tow trunk driver pouring oil on this curve road for more accident for their business...as i used this kerinchi link almost every days and nights and always like to enter the "S" bend cornering with fast speed and need some basic skill of drift to counter attached this curve., so far touch wood nothing happen... but until i saw an Evo high speed spinning and hit the concrete divider there before.. so now my ball also getting smaller to drive fast there...

and to SplitFire.....what your curse did happen as there is a dead case happen with the tow trunk driver son died on when jalan Istana flyover curve down to seremban highway as his car was spinning hit the divider...

2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.