Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Pps Teflon Coating

• Please log in to reply

br1

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (ckl050877 @ Jul 31 2012, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The boss of my current coating does not allow the user to use any wax as it will spoil the coating surface and thus the water not able to bead up and slip away from surface easily anymore. This is the main issue.

unless you do waxing on every 2 week or go back to your coating boss and let him do a maintenance job once every 6 months, (9 or 12 months, like what I did lazy and forgetful) and it shine again water marks gone. just my 1 ct.

vr2turbo

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,466 posts
QUOTE (br1 @ Jul 31 2012, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
unless you do waxing on every 2 week or go back to your coating boss and let him do a maintenance job once every 6 months, (9 or 12 months, like what I did lazy and forgetful) and it shine again water marks gone. just my 1 ct.

Yah! but in between water mark still there.... smile_blackeye.gif

jonlsl

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (ckl050877 @ Jul 31 2012, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The boss of my current coating does not allow the user to use any wax as it will spoil the coating surface and thus the water not able to bead up and slip away from surface easily anymore. This is the main issue.

I think the real thinking behind your boss not allowing any wax is because its not possible to control what kind of wax goes on the coating. If a coating that gets affected by a pure LSP carnauba wax with no cleaning ability is not worth the money being paid for (sorry to be blunt). If the coating cannot resist the contents of a pure LSP carnauba wax I don't know what to say lah. I have never seen a LSP pure carnauba wax which doesn't bead and sheet off the car.

The main reason coating detailers do not allow any thing to go on top of the coating is because they cannot control what is being put on top of the coating. Not all customers know how to differentiate between a wax, cleaner wax, AIO, polish with abrasives or polish with chemical cleaners, Polish, AIO with carnauba, polish with carnauba, LSP carnauba etc etc. So its easier for them to just put a blanket clause and say nothing on the coating as it may affect the coating. Not to mention products are some times called polish when they are in actual fact LSP products.

So as I said the best way to minimize water marks is to wash the car often and to have a layer of carnauba wax on the car or coating as a sacrificial layer. If that cannot be done for your coating then you will have to send the car back to the detailer for regular maintenance. Which basically boils down to regular maintenance, so as i said coatings have been marketed the wrong way, its not really easier maintenance, its more of a sacrificial layer.

Basically there is no short cut in detailing if there was a holy grail of coatings the manufacturer will be making big bucks and everyone will know about it including the sifus here and Megs, Opti, TW and all will close shop. Most coatings are over hyped and marketed believe me. But there are some really good coatings which are expensive and good but for me I still find a good coating with carnauba still the best way to go. Think about it even the latest really hard glass like ceramic clear coats still get water marks so does our glass and chrome metal in our toilets and cars. There's no running away from it, just minimizing it and the best way is through regular maintenance and a layer of wax or polymer slick oil (e.g. QD or spray wax) which has to be regularly topped up as its is worn and washed away.

But since this is a PPS thread, i have heard some good and some not so good reviews. For me since I'm a DIY detailer, I speak only from my experience and as always in detailing you have to slowly find what suits you best then keep on using it.

But many people do find it very very hard to swallow when I recommend a coating and carnauba wax (or at least a spray wax) for maintenance. Its always "Then why I use a coating if I need to wax?.............." Well I believe I have answered that question in the other thread which I posted.

br1

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:53 AM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
Better than without PPS done, sikit sikit water mark surely got lah, cos wash car once in every 3 - 4 weeks and no time to DIY waxing - so pay rm180 (for a SUV MPV sized vehicle) for maintenance once every 6-9-12 months still affordable and better put the times to better use making the $$$ than doing DIY waxing

vr2turbo

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,466 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Jul 31 2012, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the real thinking behind your boss not allowing any wax is because its not possible to control what kind of wax goes on the coating. If a coating that gets affected by a pure LSP carnauba wax with no cleaning ability is not worth the money being paid for (sorry to be blunt).
So as I said the best way to minimize water marks is to wash the car often and to have a layer of carnauba wax on the car or coating as a sacrificial layer. If that cannot be done for your coating then you will have to send the car back to the detailer for regular maintenance. Which basically boils down to regular maintenance, so as i said coatings have been marketed the wrong way, its not really easier maintenance, its more of a sacrificial layer.

Yah! but if market that way, that you still have to maintain then cannot sell already...... smile_big.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,466 posts
QUOTE (br1 @ Aug 1 2012, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Better than without PPS done, sikit sikit water mark surely got lah, cos wash car once in every 3 - 4 weeks and no time to DIY waxing - so pay rm180 (for a SUV MPV sized vehicle) for maintenance once every 6-9-12 months still affordable and better put the times to better use making the $$$ than doing DIY waxing

That is what bro. jon is trying to say. The coating is used as a sacrificial layer..... smile_thumbup.gif

jonlsl

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Aug 1 2012, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yah! but if market that way, that you still have to maintain then cannot sell already...... smile_big.gif

That's why must change marketing style and sell as added protection not added lazyness. smile_big.gif Its just like wearing condom, you wear for added protection, its not worn to keep you dry. hahahahaha......good example or not. As usual sex and cars go hand in hand.

vr2turbo

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,466 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Aug 1 2012, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's why must change marketing style and sell as added protection not added lazyness. smile_big.gif Its just like wearing condom, you wear for added protection, its not worn to keep you dry. hahahahaha......good example or not. As usual sex and cars go hand in hand.

But when comes to washing cars, to most, coating should be a way out of it...... smile_big.gif

auronthas

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

auronthas

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
I sent my new car for PPS treatment today at SNS, satisfy with their service, took me approx. 7 hours since 9am.

Final inspection with Raymond, he very honest and mentioned to me that they unable to remove the watermark at the car bumper as it is non-metalic (ABS), they couldn't remove the watermark by washing, polishing. He told me they can't apply heat onto the bumper with teflon coating as the bumper will get burnt. So I rest my case as the watermark is not that obvious (not so fussy).

Anyone facing similar problem? Better solution?

br1

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:39 AM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (auronthas @ Aug 22 2012, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sent my new car for PPS treatment today at SNS, satisfy with their service, took me approx. 7 hours since 9am.

Final inspection with Raymond, he very honest and mentioned to me that they unable to remove the watermark at the car bumper as it is non-metalic (ABS), they couldn't remove the watermark by washing, polishing. He told me they can't apply heat onto the bumper with teflon coating as the bumper will get burnt. So I rest my case as the watermark is not that obvious (not so fussy).

Anyone facing similar problem? Better solution?

I will check mine to see if there is water mark or not, if little little no eye see lor. anyway will need to send to SnS soon when free - cos now after raya maybe they are more free to bath my car and shine it up once again? after the last shine few months or lost count of when also?

Cheers!