Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Faulty Throttle Body & 60k Timing Belt

• Please log in to reply

momotaro

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:48 AM

momotaro

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Fellow Chevrolet owners,

My Chevy Optra 1.8 started to display engine error (yellow engine malfunction indicator) recently and the Cergazam service center says I need to replace the throttle body for RM1.4k.

As my car is approaching the 60k mark, and due for full service plus timing belt replacement, I would like to seek your advise on alternative service centers or parts suppliers where I can save some money and give the business to someone more deserving.

I will need the following:

1. replace faulty throttle body (sensor problem)
2. replace timing belt & full 60k service.

May I know from you how much this will cost at your recommended service center?

If I have their address and contact number I will proceed with setting up an appointment for service immediately.

Thank you kindly.

Best regards,
Chevy fan

jayraptor

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (momotaro @ Sep 16 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fellow Chevrolet owners,

My Chevy Optra 1.8 started to display engine error (yellow engine malfunction indicator) recently and the Cergazam service center says I need to replace the throttle body for RM1.4k.

As my car is approaching the 60k mark, and due for full service plus timing belt replacement, I would like to seek your advise on alternative service centers or parts suppliers where I can save some money and give the business to someone more deserving.

I will need the following:

1. replace faulty throttle body (sensor problem)
2. replace timing belt & full 60k service.

May I know from you how much this will cost at your recommended service center?

If I have their address and contact number I will proceed with setting up an appointment for service immediately.

Thank you kindly.

Best regards,
Chevy fan

Is your Optra already reaching 10yrs old? If yes, usually that's the lifespan of mass air flow sensor. If you could get just the sensor alone, it'll cost you less. Mostly come together as whole. Don't think of getting used mass airflow sensor unless it's very2 cheap as used mass airflow sensor is about as old as the one in your car that it is not far from its end.

wpchin

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:27 PM

wpchin

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Sep 22 2009, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is your Optra already reaching 10yrs old? If yes, usually that's the lifespan of mass air flow sensor. If you could get just the sensor alone, it'll cost you less. Mostly come together as whole. Don't think of getting used mass airflow sensor unless it's very2 cheap as used mass airflow sensor is about as old as the one in your car that it is not far from its end.

Our Optra just launched in Malaysia in Sept 2003, how to reach 10 years old?
<P>save the world</P>

ring

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:22 AM

ring

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
I would say it was an isolated case. Not many Optra 1.8 owners experience such problem. Perhaps, a Tech-II tools would be able to detect its flaws.
Ring

"IDEMITSU engine oil and YUASA Battery...A truely Japanese quality product"

Jumpman23

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

Jumpman23

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
Our Optra just launched in Malaysia in Sept 2003, how to reach 10 years old?

Refit from Daewoo Korean edition. The model is 10 years old. Those models no longer sell in US. That's the reason why ppl. seldom get Chevy.

tfazuin

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:33 AM

tfazuin

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
momotaro,
Sorry to hear that, your only shot for reduced parts prices is from the mychevyclub.net or mychevyclub.com forum by contacting Ahtap. Just PM him, all prices are cash and final. Parts are all original GM and not OEM.
The following are my current and my future rides:
2012: VW Sicrocco 2.0T (its a moving target...)
2010: Proton Saga SE 1.3
2009: Suzuki Swift 1.5
2005: Chevrolet Optra 1.8Lt

momotaro

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

momotaro

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
QUOTE (tfazuin @ Sep 25 2009, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
momotaro,
Sorry to hear that, your only shot for reduced parts prices is from the mychevyclub.net or mychevyclub.com forum by contacting Ahtap. Just PM him, all prices are cash and final. Parts are all original GM and not OEM.

thanks guys... the car is only 2 years old... not very high mileage (50k++)...

Cergazam told me I had to replace the throttle body, so I actually went to buy a spare part from an authorized GM parts dealer and installed it, and after 2 weeks, the engine fault warning light came on again! I am taking it back to the mechanic for another check, but it would really suck if Cergazam gave me false advise in order to get me to swap the whole part... it costed me RM1,xxx k... :'(

jayraptor

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:39 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (momotaro @ Sep 28 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks guys... the car is only 2 years old... not very high mileage (50k++)...

Cergazam told me I had to replace the throttle body, so I actually went to buy a spare part from an authorized GM parts dealer and installed it, and after 2 weeks, the engine fault warning light came on again! I am taking it back to the mechanic for another check, but it would really suck if Cergazam gave me false advise in order to get me to swap the whole part... it costed me RM1,xxx k... :'(

Check engine light would come up for some cars especially after changing engine oil. A way to dig cash. Just need to reset the ECU rather than change the throttle body & Mass Airflow Sensor as the mass airflow sensor has 10 yrs lifespan. while throttle body itself is mechanical.

fkmfkm

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:31 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Oct 1 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check engine light would come up for some cars especially after changing engine oil. A way to dig cash. Just need to reset the ECU rather than change the throttle body & Mass Airflow Sensor as the mass airflow sensor has 10 yrs lifespan. while throttle body itself is mechanical.

every two weeks need to reset ???

momotaro

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:32 PM

momotaro

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Oct 1 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah man, i have this feeling i've been conned... sad.gif

which mechanic do you guys use?