Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Questions On Machines For Detailing

• Please log in to reply

vr2turbo

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,967 posts
QUOTE (2420l @ Dec 25 2012, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
orange pad can cause holograms or not?? thinking 2 have a try on it smile_blush.gif

To me, if using ROB should not. Not sure with RB and also product used whether aggressive or not.

vr2turbo

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 69,967 posts
QUOTE (yuPio @ Dec 26 2012, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks again to both bros for all the inputs.

With both your help, I have established my shopping list for the pads & products to buy.

Gonna be getting it all in one shot.

As for whether white / orange pads, I guess I would have to get both and try it out on my car...it slightly depends on the hardness of the paint rite? Also the swirl is quite a lot....

I am thinking ...

Step 1 : M205 + Orange LC CCS Pad (if holograms...proceed with step 2)
Step 2 : DG501 + White LC CCS Pad
Step 3 : My Collinite Wax + Black LC CCS Pad (plan to skip DG105 since I already have the Collinites. Get DG105 after I finish the Collinites)

What do you all think of my plan?

Plan sound good... smile_thumbup.gif

Your paint is metallic? If yes, then not the hardness of the paint but the clear coat. Paint is underneath....

johannas

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

johannas

6th Gear

• Members
  • 6 posts
Hello. I'm a beginner in auto-detailing. Would like to ask some advise from all the pro DIY detailers here. I'm planning to get the new Dewalt rotary polisher (kena poison) but read in a few forums saying for beginner better get the DA or random orbital polisher. For the price range like the dewalt (RM6++), is it really better for me to get a DA? If yes, which DA fits the price range smile.gif Thanks.

Btw, my car paint is new as it is a new car. Been hand waxing only, not polished before (they say new paint don't need polish. is it true?) However I did find some faint scratch/swirls seen only when under bright light. I'm ready to invest in some "machinery" to further increase my detailing hobby wink.gif Hope you guys can help me out.

2420l

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

2420l

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 631 posts
QUOTE (johannas @ Feb 14 2013, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello. I'm a beginner in auto-detailing. Would like to ask some advise from all the pro DIY detailers here. I'm planning to get the new Dewalt rotary polisher (kena poison) but read in a few forums saying for beginner better get the DA or random orbital polisher. For the price range like the dewalt (RM6++), is it really better for me to get a DA? If yes, which DA fits the price range smile.gif Thanks.

Btw, my car paint is new as it is a new car. Been hand waxing only, not polished before (they say new paint don't need polish. is it true?) However I did find some faint scratch/swirls seen only when under bright light. I'm ready to invest in some "machinery" to further increase my detailing hobby wink.gif Hope you guys can help me out.

for beginner is better to get a ROB or DA but RB will help u must of the time in removing defects (u must learn proper technique in hadling RB)
Can't say new car wont need polish..it depends on ur car paint condition

vr2turbo

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 69,967 posts
QUOTE (johannas @ Feb 14 2013, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For maintenance work, ROB will be good. If need correction, then RB, but you cannot be always doing correction. Either wrong washing method and if keep correcting the clear coat will finish in no time.
Pads and products used will be another chapter..... smile_big.gif

g88

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
QUOTE (2420l @ Feb 14 2013, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for beginner is better to get a ROB or DA but RB will help u must of the time in removing defects (u must learn proper technique in hadling RB)
Can't say new car wont need polish..it depends on ur car paint condition

everyone skillset is getting pro ...few years back DA was not in the picture at all for beginner....only ROB, and pro used RB...now DA also 'downgrade'...not to mentioned those professional RB and DA like Flex and Rupes smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif

johannas

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

johannas

6th Gear

• Members
  • 6 posts
If I buy the dewalt, is it not good for regular maintenance work? Will I ruin the clear coat if I wax lets say every 3 months.

eohl79

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
QUOTE (johannas @ Feb 14 2013, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I buy the dewalt, is it not good for regular maintenance work? Will I ruin the clear coat if I wax lets say every 3 months.

Don't use a rotary for applying wax... ROB or DA is better, best use hand. You can use a rotary with the right fine polish/AIO/cleaner wax/pre-wax cleaner to prep the surface before putting on LSP though. Usually with the lowest speed setting and soft buffing pad (no cut).

johannas

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

johannas

6th Gear

• Members
  • 6 posts
QUOTE (eohl79 @ Feb 14 2013, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't use a rotary for applying wax... ROB or DA is better, best use hand. You can use a rotary with the right fine polish/AIO/cleaner wax/pre-wax cleaner to prep the surface before putting on LSP though. Usually with the lowest speed setting and soft buffing pad (no cut).

So if I am going to invest in ONE polisher to help with regular waxing and mild correction with polish, a DA will suit me best. Correct?

eohl79

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
QUOTE (johannas @ Feb 14 2013, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So if I am going to invest in ONE polisher to help with regular waxing and mild correction with polish, a DA will suit me best. Correct?

Yes a DA would be most suitable as an all-rounder. It is easy to use/handle. Ok for maintenance. With the advancement in compound/polishes/pads you could also tackle heavy defects. That would also depends on the type of paint that you are working on - soft/hard, etc. However, most DAs here are expensive and would cost more than a rotary. In the region of ~RM800 machine only excluding pads.

Read more here:
Rotary Compounding – Is It Dead?, Todd Cooperider

Then again, bro Krismas has proven what a ROB can do with modern compound/pad and achieve good results. This would not be possible before.
Paint Correction With An Rob?, Possible?

Before you go buying a ROB/DA, please read some of Kevin Brown's articles. It is a long an interesting read...
KBM