Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Kawasaki 650 Special Edition

• Please log in to reply

fizzysoup1

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:11 PM

fizzysoup1

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
QUOTE (lancerbm @ Oct 8 2009, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FIZZY,
very nice.........you feedback is going to be valuable to me/others who are planning to buy this bike, pls keep us updated and very good pic too.

Thanks lancerbm.

Must admit I have only done 260kms in this 1st week, but it has been fun. The 'missus' is not too keen on it as she is sitting a bit high up compared to the Kapchai, and when I twist the throttle her feet come off the pegs (and that is still keeping it below 4k revs/minute).

My boys just love it.

Will be clocking up the miles in a couple of weeks back and forth to the Moto GP (Weekend 23rd to 25th Oct). Hope the Championship is not decided at Fraser Island...........should make for a bigger crowd at Sepang.

Keep on asking the questions, and I will 'feedback' as best I can.

If you are not living life on the edge.....you are taking up way too much space ;-)

fizzysoup1

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:22 PM

fizzysoup1

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
Forgot to mention, I covered 250kms before refueling (probably had another 25-30kms in thank).

Tank Capacity is 15.5 liters (smaller than I would like).

So I guess when it is 'run in' and I am riding moderately aggressively, I can expect to be stopping for a refill every 200kms!

My Honda Wave needed topping up every 110 to 120kms..and that p*ssed me off!

Double the kms on the Kwaker is better, but not ideal.

500kms between refills would be good, but then I need to buy the BMW1200RS!!!!
If you are not living life on the edge.....you are taking up way too much space ;-)

jomanji

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:52 PM

jomanji

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
QUOTE (fizzysoup1 @ Oct 8 2009, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry everyone....I have been so busy & excited with the new bike that I didn't have time to post.
It is even better than I thought it might be. Last 'big bike' I owned was Honda 750 Four (34 years ago), and the ER-6n is at least as powerful.
Still running in so 4,000rpm is the max (that is 80kmph in 6th gear). After 800kms you can rev safely to 6k rpm.
It looks lovely sounds lovely, and goes like a rocket.

I am very happy with my purchase, and as an earlier poster stated...this is a 'lot of bike' for the money!

Hi Fizzysoup1,

Congrats on your new bike. I have also ordered one last month and will be picking it up tomorrow. Not the SE, just normal white. I also heard both are CBU.

re: running in, I'm not sure how reliable it is, but I just read this website. The link was on one of the threads on this forum. http://www.mototuneu..._in_secrets.htm
The guy at the shop I got the bike from (Chia Motor, Paramount Petaling Jaya) also said should occasionally rev up to 10k rpm during the run in period or the engine may not be run in properly. Again, I'm not sure how true this is. Most manuals will say not to rev. But just giving an alternative view smile.gif

I've ridden the 08 and 09 models a few times, but didnt get past 3rd gear cos was in a small area. I just passed my Bfull license last week, and the test was using an ER6N 09 black (Safety Driving Center, PJ next to Armada Hotel). Found the bike easy to handle, as most reviews have reported. Like yourself, I'm upgrading from a small bike (Suzuki Shogun RR) and was quite concerned whether I would be able to adjust to the vastly different machine. Also cos I'm quite new to bikes - only been riding for 8 months. Time will tell.

Do continue to share your experience with your new bike. I can't wait to get mine!

Cheers.

Ten

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

Ten

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
Congrats on the purchase.

It's an excellent daily driver, handlebar turn range and bike turn radius is IMO better than a zx6 or even cb4s. I don't think you'd need anything less than 5th and 6th gear except when moving from a stoplight (even that can be done in 3rd and you'd still outrun lots of other vehicles to the century !).

Personally from my experience testing it, I'd try a 17 tooth front sprocket and get cruising revs down to about 90-95kph @ 4000rpm. Might also get better fuel economy and stop the wife's feet from flying off the pegs.

Maybe you'd prefer it to pin your ears back more though hehehehe. tongue.gif

fizzysoup1

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:07 AM

fizzysoup1

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
QUOTE (jomanji @ Oct 11 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Fizzysoup1,

Congrats on your new bike. I have also ordered one last month and will be picking it up tomorrow. Not the SE, just normal white. I also heard both are CBU.

re: running in, I'm not sure how reliable it is, but I just read this website. The link was on one of the threads on this forum. http://www.mototuneu..._in_secrets.htm
The guy at the shop I got the bike from (Chia Motor, Paramount Petaling Jaya) also said should occasionally rev up to 10k rpm during the run in period or the engine may not be run in properly. Again, I'm not sure how true this is. Most manuals will say not to rev. But just giving an alternative view smile.gif

I've ridden the 08 and 09 models a few times, but didnt get past 3rd gear cos was in a small area. I just passed my Bfull license last week, and the test was using an ER6N 09 black (Safety Driving Center, PJ next to Armada Hotel). Found the bike easy to handle, as most reviews have reported. Like yourself, I'm upgrading from a small bike (Suzuki Shogun RR) and was quite concerned whether I would be able to adjust to the vastly different machine. Also cos I'm quite new to bikes - only been riding for 8 months. Time will tell.

Do continue to share your experience with your new bike. I can't wait to get mine!

Cheers.

Hi jomanji,
That was a very interesting article....unfortunately too late for me as I am doing the 'manufacturer recommended' route.
Which method are you using, and how do you like the new bike?

I got mime from welly Sungai Buloh. This week I am in Cherating, but the bike is at home. Next week-end it will get acouple of good runs out to Sepang & back (Moto GP weekend)....should be fun.

Keep us posted on your experiences & have fun....its a great bike for the money.

fizzysoup1

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:11 AM

fizzysoup1

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
QUOTE (Ten @ Oct 13 2009, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats on the purchase.

It's an excellent daily driver, handlebar turn range and bike turn radius is IMO better than a zx6 or even cb4s. I don't think you'd need anything less than 5th and 6th gear except when moving from a stoplight (even that can be done in 3rd and you'd still outrun lots of other vehicles to the century !).

Personally from my experience testing it, I'd try a 17 tooth front sprocket and get cruising revs down to about 90-95kph @ 4000rpm. Might also get better fuel economy and stop the wife's feet from flying off the pegs.

Maybe you'd prefer it to pin your ears back more though hehehehe. tongue.gif

Hi Ten,
I think you are probably right...there is loads of low end torque, and pulling away in 2nd is not a problem (haven't tried it in third yet).
You are probably also right about the sprocket change...I find myself looking for seventh gear. The engine could certainly handle it.
Maybe something for the future.
Cheers
FS

jomanji

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

jomanji

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
QUOTE (fizzysoup1 @ Oct 18 2009, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi jomanji,
That was a very interesting article....unfortunately too late for me as I am doing the 'manufacturer recommended' route.
Which method are you using, and how do you like the new bike?

I got mime from welly Sungai Buloh. This week I am in Cherating, but the bike is at home. Next week-end it will get acouple of good runs out to Sepang & back (Moto GP weekend)....should be fun.

Keep us posted on your experiences & have fun....its a great bike for the money.

I collected my bike last monday.. it was such a mind blowing experience, those first few rides, and the bike still does not cease to amaze me. Took it up to bkt tinggi on sat with gf behind, she is starting to warm up to the idea of a big bike wink.gif

I am more or less following motoman's recommendation for running in. Within a day of collecting the bike, I changed to a good mineral oil (something about synthetic oils being not viscous enough for brand new engines) then did the occasional 2nd and 3rd gear rev to 10k -11k rpm and also engine braking as per motoman's article (something about allowing the vacuum of engine braking to suck out all the the little metal bits from a running-in engine's cylinder). Allegedly, the whole purpose of this kind of running-in is to allow the piston ring to seal properly. There is a small gap in the ring of new engines that motoman reckons will not fully seal if the engine is not revved at load during the first 20miles (32km). Have so far logged on about 800km. Changed back to a semi synthetic oil with new filter a few days ago at around 500km. Have taken the bike up to about 170kmh, didn't feel like going any faster cos my head felt like it was about to dislocate from shoulders! Other than that, have been riding it like a 5 year old bike and paying no heed to keeping the revs low. At this point I'm just hoping I didn't make a bad decision re: running-in method. Let's compare notes again in a few years, would be interesting to see I think.

fizzysoup1

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:11 PM

fizzysoup1

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
QUOTE (jomanji @ Oct 19 2009, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I collected my bike last monday.. it was such a mind blowing experience, those first few rides, and the bike still does not cease to amaze me. Took it up to bkt tinggi on sat with gf behind, she is starting to warm up to the idea of a big bike wink.gif

I am more or less following motoman's recommendation for running in. Within a day of collecting the bike, I changed to a good mineral oil (something about synthetic oils being not viscous enough for brand new engines) then did the occasional 2nd and 3rd gear rev to 10k -11k rpm and also engine braking as per motoman's article (something about allowing the vacuum of engine braking to suck out all the the little metal bits from a running-in engine's cylinder). Allegedly, the whole purpose of this kind of running-in is to allow the piston ring to seal properly. There is a small gap in the ring of new engines that motoman reckons will not fully seal if the engine is not revved at load during the first 20miles (32km). Have so far logged on about 800km. Changed back to a semi synthetic oil with new filter a few days ago at around 500km. Have taken the bike up to about 170kmh, didn't feel like going any faster cos my head felt like it was about to dislocate from shoulders! Other than that, have been riding it like a 5 year old bike and paying no heed to keeping the revs low. At this point I'm just hoping I didn't make a bad decision re: running-in method. Let's compare notes again in a few years, would be interesting to see I think.

Wow,
I think you are going to be doing a lot more Kms than me. Mine is going to be more like a week-end bike....I still have the Honda 125 for all the local stuff. even after this week-end to Sepang 7 back twice i still won't have done much more than 800kms.

Take care and have fun....

jomanji

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

jomanji

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
QUOTE (fizzysoup1 @ Oct 22 2009, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow,
I think you are going to be doing a lot more Kms than me. Mine is going to be more like a week-end bike....I still have the Honda 125 for all the local stuff. even after this week-end to Sepang 7 back twice i still won't have done much more than 800kms.

Take care and have fun....

Yeah I use it as my daily commute, should be around 50km/day to/from office once I settle down and can resist those nightly rides. For now, any little thing is an excuse to go somewhere. "I think I need to take a ride to klang to see if the haze is worse there than here" that kind of silly thing smile.gif My Suzuki Shogun is sitting there very lonely as is my car. Have not driven it for >3 weeks and have to remind myself to start it every few days.

U take care to bro, ride safe and keep in touch!

fizzysoup1

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

fizzysoup1

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
Hi Mustang,
You need to get out a bit more.....you are spending too much time on the Forum. Where are the 'Modrators'?

Hi Jomanji,
How is it going?
I just got back from 3 weeks in Phuket (but went by car:-0).
Before i went I sold the Honda Wave, so now should be using the Kwaker fairly regularly.

How's yours going?

I have had the 1st service at just ever 800kms, and can now wind it up to 6k revs, and 120KMs/hour, so it is not so boring.

What top speed have you managed to get?

Cheers