Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Hyundai I30 Launched At Mega Motor Show In 1U

• Please log in to reply

TheGunner

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:31 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Aug 13 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greetings Gunner, cfa & Kevin,

As always, the salespeople way of discrimination. That's why I always wear smarter when going to showroom, else won't get anything. It is Hyundai's loss as the 1st wave of fellows in uniforms are mostly automotive engineers and technicians from another subsidiary at my workplace HQ. They could really evaluate the car well as they are trained professionals. Too bad, they prefer shunning them away. Else, they could provide me way better review. Some of them might not want to test the car in showrooms as they had such experience, might turn to other brands.

I was on the 2nd wave (non-automotive) of uniform people to reach there. By the time I reached there, I saw those automotive guys with angry face while the salesmen where chatting with each other like never met for long time or on the phone like having big business though those office wear people already left. The engineers told me they asked the salesmen for test drive but the salesmen told them to refer salesmen who were on the phones. Never hung up. I told all of those in uniforms, since we are invisible, why not we molest the cars kawkaw and grab 1 catalogue of each model on the table. At least we get much fun.

Interior wise is spacious enough for 5 full size adults. Steering and dash quality a bit hard but still good. Exterior build quality is great. Handling & driving feel - no chance to drive. With the salesman attitude, no wonder the Sonata NF which is on par with Japanese counterpart and superior than them some aspects can't sell. Maybe because they like to turn away experts and not able to convince people to buy due to damaged reputation from public perception of heavy body with low tech engine, high FC + high maintenance. Sonata NF is indeed a better alternative to even C-segment Sylphy, Civic, Altis, etc due to its selling price. It has good handling & performance with good FC. Too bad...

One of these days, I'll need to restart those old "Showroom Experience" articles I used to do at the Blog.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

nagflar

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:09 PM

nagflar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
at that price range . most malaysian will go for Nissan latio 1.6 or peugeot 308 . since malaysian minded japanneses car are better then korea...

jayraptor

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (nagflar @ Aug 15 2009, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
at that price range . most malaysian will go for Nissan latio 1.6 or peugeot 308 . since malaysian minded japanneses car are better then korea...

nagflar,

The i30 for 1.6L if being marketed well, it could sell at average volume and if there's some luck maybe larger volume. The i30 is C-segment hatch while Latio 1.6 (wheelbase 2600mm) is in between the border of B & C segment. Besides, Hyundai has higher availability of parts and service centre. I bet the i30 would handle real good, better than Sonata NF and might turn out superior than its Japanese counterpart Latio Sport, Yaris & Jazz. It's 1.6 Gamma engine is superb generating quite high torque and output with 2nd gen hydraulic type valve timing. Pug 308 has highest output and torque in this category. Now just see how well those marketing fellows do.

lwlty,
Gamma just invented during the existence of i30 in 2007, definitely it's Gamma I. Gamma II is not being built yet.

TheGunner

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:11 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Aug 17 2009, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nagflar,

The i30 for 1.6L if being marketed well, it could sell at average volume and if there's some luck maybe larger volume. The i30 is C-segment hatch while Latio 1.6 (wheelbase 2600mm) is in between the border of B & C segment. Besides, Hyundai has higher availability of parts and service centre. I bet the i30 would handle real good, better than Sonata NF and might turn out superior than its Japanese counterpart Latio Sport, Yaris & Jazz. It's 1.6 Gamma engine is superb generating quite high torque and output with 2nd gen hydraulic type valve timing. Pug 308 has highest output and torque in this category. Now just see how well those marketing fellows do.

lwlty,
Gamma just invented during the existence of i30 in 2007, definitely it's Gamma I. Gamma II is not being built yet.

At the media test drive organized today, HSDM gave journalists a chance to get behind the wheel of the i30. It was just a very brief drive though. We gathered at the Elite go-kart track at the USJ Elite highway rest stop, drove the car to Putra Heights and back. Total less than 10km drive, though I managed to get my hands on both the 1.6A and 2.0.

The 1.6A is underpowered, and the gearbox kicks down way too slowly. You really need to give the throttle a very sudden hammering for it to downshift from 4th to 3rd. Manually shifting to '3' is a better idea for overtaking. Rapid progress is not possible but you can ease it to speeds of 130-140kph with a long stretch of highway.

The 2.0 is markedly better. It's more responsive, but at highway speeds, its kickdown response is still poor. Thanks to 17" rims, it also handles better than 1.6 which seemed susceptible to crosswinds at speed.

However, as it was only a brief drive, I shall refrain from making a final verdict on the car. I'm working with HSDM to get a test car loaned to us for a proper review.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

jayraptor

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Aug 17 2009, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the media test drive organized today, HSDM gave journalists a chance to get behind the wheel of the i30. It was just a very brief drive though. We gathered at the Elite go-kart track at the USJ Elite highway rest stop, drove the car to Putra Heights and back. Total less than 10km drive, though I managed to get my hands on both the 1.6A and 2.0.

The 1.6A is underpowered, and the gearbox kicks down way too slowly. You really need to give the throttle a very sudden hammering for it to downshift from 4th to 3rd. Manually shifting to '3' is a better idea for overtaking. Rapid progress is not possible but you can ease it to speeds of 130-140kph with a long stretch of highway.

The 2.0 is markedly better. It's more responsive, but at highway speeds, its kickdown response is still poor. Thanks to 17" rims, it also handles better than 1.6 which seemed susceptible to crosswinds at speed.

However, as it was only a brief drive, I shall refrain from making a final verdict on the car. I'm working with HSDM to get a test car loaned to us for a proper review.

Gunner!!

Very nice review. Now you are talking. I30 2.0L should be quite similar to ELantra/Avante 2.0L in terms of power. Regarding the 1.6A, based on your feedback reminds me of Elantra '03. Does it revv high when start moving from idle? If I'm lightfoot type, will it like struggle to pickup to 60km/h??

I have more concern on the 1.6L. It's the same engine in the Forte that I'm targeting.

TheGunner

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Aug 18 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gunner!!

Very nice review. Now you are talking. I30 2.0L should be quite similar to ELantra/Avante 2.0L in terms of power. Regarding the 1.6A, based on your feedback reminds me of Elantra '03. Does it revv high when start moving from idle? If I'm lightfoot type, will it like struggle to pickup to 60km/h??

I have more concern on the 1.6L. It's the same engine in the Forte that I'm targeting.

The problem with such short test drives is that due to the limited amount of time available, journalists will want to push the car as much as possible. Under such driving conditions, inherently underpowered cars like the i30 1.6 will always be at a disadvantage.

I did drive a couple of km lightfooted, and it felt fine when driven sedately. The problem with the 1.6 isn't so much the engine, but rather the gearbox, which reacts too slowly to proddings of kickdown.

I once drove the Elantra some years back, but that was the 1.8, and I distinctly remember that car to have been very light with good pickup.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

jayraptor

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:41 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Aug 18 2009, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem with such short test drives is that due to the limited amount of time available, journalists will want to push the car as much as possible. Under such driving conditions, inherently underpowered cars like the i30 1.6 will always be at a disadvantage.

I did drive a couple of km lightfooted, and it felt fine when driven sedately. The problem with the 1.6 isn't so much the engine, but rather the gearbox, which reacts too slowly to proddings of kickdown.

I once drove the Elantra some years back, but that was the 1.8, and I distinctly remember that car to have been very light with good pickup.

Hi Gunner,

Very fast reply. Thanks. The Elantra 1.6 I tested took longer time to shift from 1 to 2. Will take note on the gearbox when I get my chance to test the i30. Is it already launch or still pending? I thought I saw its ads on the Star yesterday with the I 1.gif 30.

TheGunner

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:45 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Aug 18 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Gunner,

Very fast reply. Thanks. The Elantra 1.6 I tested took longer time to shift from 1 to 2. Will take note on the gearbox when I get my chance to test the i30. Is it already launch or still pending? I thought I saw its ads on the Star yesterday with the I 1.gif 30.

Aiyo... tak baca emzine ka? Launch liao la smile_big.gif

New i30 launched at Hyundai Mega Motor Show

Pictures: Hyundai Mega Motor Show, One Utama, PJ
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

jayraptor

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Aug 18 2009, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What? Already launched? I thought that was just pre-launched as those cars were left hand drive. Also the roadshow, I thought it was for gathering public perception. Will go test drive maybe by month end.

TheGunner

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:13 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
Read about our first impressions of the i30 here.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner