Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Cvt Maintenance

• Please log in to reply

jayraptor

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Aug 6 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But in a magazine I read a while back, they compared the different gear boxes, from the latest twin clutch system to manual, auto and CVT, and CVT ended up in the rear end...... smile_shock.gif

Hi vr2!!

The test on different tranny, was it done on the same car, let's say on Sylphy tested with conventional Manual & Auto gearbox then CVT gearbox? Also, what car was it tested on? Need to know which brand and which company that provided the CVT. CVT capability depends on manufacturer's skill as well. Badly designed CVT tranny will get lots of "rubberband effect" where the response is slower when flooring the pedal. That'll cause CVT lost in acceleration compared to normal gearbox.

Let u know extra info. Sylphy's X-CVT reverse speed is slower than others with normal gearbox. Sort of weak probably due to its small reverse ratio. No chance to try out with Lancer. Need volunteer.

vr2turbo

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Aug 7 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi vr2!!

The test on different tranny, was it done on the same car, let's say on Sylphy tested with conventional Manual & Auto gearbox then CVT gearbox? Also, what car was it tested on? Need to know which brand and which company that provided the CVT. CVT capability depends on manufacturer's skill as well. Badly designed CVT tranny will get lots of "rubberband effect" where the response is slower when flooring the pedal. That'll cause CVT lost in acceleration compared to normal gearbox.

Let u know extra info. Sylphy's X-CVT reverse speed is slower than others with normal gearbox. Sort of weak probably due to its small reverse ratio. No chance to try out with Lancer. Need volunteer.

Hi bro. jay,
If I can remember it was not a test. Anyway how to test GB with same car, not of same make.
I think it was taken as a whole. Explain the function, pros and cons etc. etc. It was sometime, should be last year, but gave the magazine away already. I normally recycle the magazine by passing them around my circle of friends who wants them, so I don't know what that particular mag is now..... smile_blackeye.gif

jayraptor

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:18 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Aug 7 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi bro. jay,
If I can remember it was not a test. Anyway how to test GB with same car, not of same make.
I think it was taken as a whole. Explain the function, pros and cons etc. etc. It was sometime, should be last year, but gave the magazine away already. I normally recycle the magazine by passing them around my circle of friends who wants them, so I don't know what that particular mag is now..... smile_blackeye.gif

Hi vr2!

The only way I got to compare : same engine 1 with CVT & 1 with normal gearbox:

1) Lancer GL/GT - 1998cc 4B11 - CVT transmission - kerb weight around 1390kg
output 155hp@6000rpm / torque 199NM@4250rpm
0-100km/h - 'D' 10.5s , paddle-shift 8.Xs

2) Hyundai Sonata NF/Kia Optima - 1998cc Theta I4 (rebadged & tuned down 4B11) - 4speed AT - kerb weight around 1400kg
output 149hp@6000rom / torque 189NM@4250rpm
0-100km/h - 11s

3) Kia Forte - 1998cc THetaII (4B11 rebadged tuned almost same as Lancer) - 4speed AT - kerb weight 1290kg
output 156hp@6200rpm / torque 194NM@4300rpm
0-100km/h - 10.5s

This is just rough comparison as all 3 have different air intake /exhaust manifolds and PCM, sensors cofiguration etc. Mitsu will definitely keep some good things for ownself though Koreans are rich enough to buy anything from Mitsu.

vr2turbo

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Aug 8 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi vr2!

The only way I got to compare : same engine 1 with CVT & 1 with normal gearbox:

1) Lancer GL/GT - 1998cc 4B11 - CVT transmission - kerb weight around 1390kg
output 155hp@6000rpm / torque 199NM@4250rpm
0-100km/h - 'D' 10.5s , paddle-shift 8.Xs

2) Hyundai Sonata NF/Kia Optima - 1998cc Theta I4 (rebadged & tuned down 4B11) - 4speed AT - kerb weight around 1400kg
output 149hp@6000rom / torque 189NM@4250rpm
0-100km/h - 11s

3) Kia Forte - 1998cc THetaII (4B11 rebadged tuned almost same as Lancer) - 4speed AT - kerb weight 1290kg
output 156hp@6200rpm / torque 194NM@4300rpm
0-100km/h - 10.5s

This is just rough comparison as all 3 have different air intake /exhaust manifolds and PCM, sensors cofiguration etc. Mitsu will definitely keep some good things for ownself though Koreans are rich enough to buy anything from Mitsu.

The de tuned engine seems to have power still, only 6hp and 10nm difference.....
See whether can find that magazine..... smile.gif

cmboy

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

cmboy

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Aug 8 2009, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The de tuned engine seems to have power still, only 6hp and 10nm difference.....

Why bother?.. thats only on paper and for marketing intent. Most engines with fair mileage are already or certainly less efficient due to normal wear n tear, likely not entirely in optimum tune (perhaps compensated by ECU/EFI to make up), most likely most motorists with 30% more more dirty air filters (running on richer fuel mixture). In short, the quoted specs are meaningless in the real world. So you think you're still getting 75kw on tap most of the time?

vr2turbo

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,470 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Aug 8 2009, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bro. cm,
The Magazine is about the different gear boxes.......... smile_wink.gif

cmboy

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

cmboy

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Aug 9 2009, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro. cm,
The Magazine is about the different gear boxes.......... smile_wink.gif

Doesn't matter. Its most usual the engine/gearbox combinationin question AND in reality not at optimum for any given gearbox. To expect it to perform to specs or hyped performance as advertised is actually futile. Its real world gains that matters not silly figures they quote.

SplitFire

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:45 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,879 posts
QUOTE (cmboy @ Aug 10 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't matter. Its most usual the engine/gearbox combinationin question AND in reality not at optimum for any given gearbox. To expect it to perform to specs or hyped performance as advertised is actually futile. Its real world gains that matters not silly figures they quote.

Also must have a technical spec to compare with. If no written specs then how to compare? smile_big.gif
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

jayraptor

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:46 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (cmboy @ Aug 8 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why bother?.. thats only on paper and for marketing intent. Most engines with fair mileage are already or certainly less efficient due to normal wear n tear, likely not entirely in optimum tune (perhaps compensated by ECU/EFI to make up), most likely most motorists with 30% more more dirty air filters (running on richer fuel mixture). In short, the quoted specs are meaningless in the real world. So you think you're still getting 75kw on tap most of the time?

Yes, you are right. Unlike back then, car magazines have more rights to access the cars' actual ability and turnout without worry of provoking. Today, they mind mouths when writing articles, placing comparison tables, etc. Splitfire is right, no technical specs, can't compare as well. Just how accurate is the specs?

Hi vr2turbo,

The closest comparison I can come up with will be Latio 1.5 sold in Singapore. It has either CVT or 4AT tranny. Car Magazine never touched or revealed much on the 2 performance though, maybe forbidden.. Will know only if could get Singaporean owners to confirm.

cmboy

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:55 PM

cmboy

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
[quote name='jayraptor' date='Aug 10 2009, 02:46 PM' post='1442628']
Yes, you are right. Unlike back then, car magazines have more rights to access the cars' actual ability and turnout without worry of provoking. Today, they mind mouths when writing articles, placing comparison tables, etc. Splitfire is right, no technical specs, can't compare as well. Just how accurate is the specs?

Broadly speaking, those specs are obviously clinical and under specific controlled test conditions. Yes, it may be neccessary for research, record, and variety of specific purposes, but still meaningless for the mass owners.
Anyway, got to run now... back to work lah!...and the real world obviously.. Cheers mates!