Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

"why Telstar?"

• Please log in to reply

lwh813

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

lwh813

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
QUESTION:

"Why Telstar?, Why not Accord?". I am sure lots of people asked this question when they find out you owned a Telstar. Just want to find out (survey a bit):

1) how you "explain" to them?
1.1) What are the reasons why you decided to invest in a Telstar?

2) What are the reasons why you decided to MOD your Telstar (for those who spent >RM10,000 modding excluding cost of car)?
(Skip this if your Telstar's STOCK standard)

3) (For my reference, coz mine DRINKS fuel like water) What is the FUEL CONSUMPTION of your Telstar?

ANSWER:

1) I bought my Telstar at August 2005. Why? Back then, I had RM50,000 budget. Surveyed around back then. THIS IS THE CHEAPEST AND NEWEST 2000cc to 2200cc car money can buy back then at RM42,000 for an early 1999 model. For your info, my shortlist back then. i) A 1997 Peugeot 406 ALSO costs RM42,000, ii) a 1997 CKD Accord 2.2i SV4 costs RM55,000+, iii) A 1998 Camry 2.2i costs RM68,000 back then...

So it's between a TELSTAR and a 406. My thinking was Telstar is 1/2 Japanese (ie. Mazda 626), hence Maintenence would be cheaper and spares easier to find. Also, Telstar is 2 yrs "NEWER" than a 406. SO, it "MAKE SENSE" buying a Telstar.
1.1) Back then, when I bought this car, the mileage's LOW for a 6 yrs old car at 96,000km. The Interior is CLEAN and everything WORKS (incl the cup holders and its lid), Car is previously owned by a Lady Teacher. Comes with Owner's manual too. Spare tyre's NEW and UNUSED. But "resprayed" though outer layer only. Later I realised why... The "roof" got "Chicken Pox" , 5 of them. Came out 1 year after I owned the car.

2) Well my Telstar is ALMOST STOCK. Only changed the spark plug cable to "HOTSHOTS", Bosch platinum plugs, RIms and tyres to 215/45R17 Bridgestone MY-01 tyres and LENSO NX-01 polished rims. Tyres for about RM300 a piece and Rims - bought used from Lowyat forum at RM660 1 set. Spent only about 1.2k on ICE (RM580 Pioneer MP3 HU, etc). But ICE won't make your car go faster, looks or handles better - "Internal" only. SO I won't dwell on it... NO SECURITY system. Just 1 KEY to lock/unlock. OTHERS: Wear and tear items, eg. Distributor, New Rubber bushings, 4x Absorbers (Kayaba), WHOLE Cooling system TWICE (overheated 3x so far), Rear brake disc (whole thing), etc... Spent Quite a LOT too... But my motto: If It Ain't broke, don't fix it...

3) BEST 9km/L (100% highway), WORST: 6km/L (100% city). Something wrong here... Other Telstar owners reported WAY Better FC.

That's all folks, thanks for reading.

Money is the root of evil unless used for a good cause. - the late Henry Ford

jayraptor

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Morning lwh smile_cool.gif

You are still with autoworld? Haven't seen u giving comments for some time.

1) "I bought my Telstar at August 2005. Why? Back then, I had RM50,000 budget."
>>Looks like your Telstar should be '99-'02 model powered by inline-4 1991cc "FE-DOHC" engine. Not the KF 1995cc V6 series.

"So it's between a TELSTAR and a 406. My thinking was Telstar is 1/2 Japanese (ie. Mazda 626), hence Maintenence would be cheaper and spares easier to find. Also, Telstar is 2 yrs "NEWER" than a 406. SO, it "MAKE SENSE" buying a Telstar."
>>Luckily u went for Ford Telstar instead of 406 or Mazda 626. More spare parts for Telstar compared to Mazda 626 as Ford never abandoned its owners just like that. 406 spare parts & maintenance are expensive due to tax and local workshop mentality

"But "resprayed" though outer layer only. Later I realised why... The "roof" got "Chicken Pox" , 5 of them. Came out 1 year after I owned the car. "
>>In the 90's many car manufacturers chose the wrong glue causing those pox. To rid them is to slice away affected pox and paste them with cement before respray. Scraping it off will not stop the pox in future.

2) "Well my Telstar is ALMOST STOCK. Only changed the spark plug cable to "HOTSHOTS", Bosch platinum plugs, RIms and tyres to 215/45R17 Bridgestone MY-01 tyres and LENSO NX-01 polished rims. Tyres for about RM300 a piece and Rims - bought used from Lowyat forum at RM660 1 set. Spent only about 1.2k on ICE (RM580 Pioneer MP3 HU, etc). But ICE won't make your car go faster, looks or handles better - "Internal" only. SO I won't dwell on it... NO SECURITY system. Just 1 KEY to lock/unlock. OTHERS: Wear and tear items, eg. Distributor, New Rubber bushings, 4x Absorbers (Kayaba), WHOLE Cooling system TWICE (overheated 3x so far), Rear brake disc (whole thing), etc... Spent Quite a LOT too... But my motto: If It Ain't broke, don't fix it... "
>>That's the furthest u go. Don't modify anything else but keep the car clean and well will do. If u wanted to modify something, just get DK anti-heat nappa leather and nothing else. Add skirt & spoiler will make the car heavier also its oval shape require special skirt only to match its body.

3) "BEST 9km/L (100% highway), WORST: 6km/L (100% city). Something wrong here... Other Telstar owners reported WAY Better FC."
>> For V6 engine, yes the FC is bad just like u said, being sacrificed to get 10s in 0-100km/h sprint. For inline4 version should be much better plus better torque compared to V6. Acceleration around 11s if I'm not wrong.

lwh813

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:17 PM

lwh813

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
I found the ROOT of the ASTRONOMICAL FC. fAULTY Oxygen SENSOR. Should I change my extractor along with the O2 sensor thingy...

Money is the root of evil unless used for a good cause. - the late Henry Ford

jayraptor

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (lwh813 @ Jul 8 2009, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found the ROOT of the ASTRONOMICAL FC. fAULTY Oxygen SENSOR. Should I change my extractor along with the O2 sensor thingy...

That mass airflow sensor aka O2 sensor faulty problem, yes I remember well. Its lifespan last within 10-12 years only. If u could get just the O2 sensor alone will do, no need to change the whole thing. Usually, they don't sell the O2 sensor separately so they'll force u to buy the whole thing. That's what Wilakota offered me either I stay on with recon Mass Airflow sensor that is not working so well or buy the whole rubber air intake with new mass airflow sensor on it for >RM1000. I forgot the actual price.

Just extra info. THose who get barely working mass airflow sensor from chopshop, the car could still run but the FC will not be as good as it's supposed to be. Also the engine idling sometimes unstable.

jublak

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:13 PM

jublak

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Jul 8 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That mass airflow sensor aka O2 sensor faulty problem, yes I remember well. Its lifespan last within 10-12 years only. If u could get just the O2 sensor alone will do, no need to change the whole thing. Usually, they don't sell the O2 sensor separately so they'll force u to buy the whole thing. That's what Wilakota offered me either I stay on with recon Mass Airflow sensor that is not working so well or buy the whole rubber air intake with new mass airflow sensor on it for >RM1000. I forgot the actual price.

Just extra info. THose who get barely working mass airflow sensor from chopshop, the car could still run but the FC will not be as good as it's supposed to be. Also the engine idling sometimes unstable.

Jay, I thought u owned a Cronos and not a Telstar..

jublak

jayraptor

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (jublak @ Jul 9 2009, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jay, I thought u owned a Cronos and not a Telstar..

Hi Jublak!

Yes. Technically, both Telstar & Cronos share the same engine, transmission, suspension, etc for V6 version. Only that Telstar has inline4 1991cc. Do u still keep ur Cronos?

jublak

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

jublak

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Jul 10 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Jublak!

Yes. Technically, both Telstar & Cronos share the same engine, transmission, suspension, etc for V6 version. Only that Telstar has inline4 1991cc. Do u still keep ur Cronos?

No bro.. I've sold it a long time ago.. I also updated my thread but guess u overlooked it..

jublak

megan

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:34 PM

megan

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
QUOTE (jublak @ Jul 10 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No bro.. I've sold it a long time ago.. I also updated my thread but guess u overlooked it..

i have Telstar with 2.0 FE-Dohc engine. Is anyone know where i can get the engine overhaul or replaced with another same model engine? i like this car and would like to maintain it.

jayraptor

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (megan @ Jul 20 2009, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have Telstar with 2.0 FE-Dohc engine. Is anyone know where i can get the engine overhaul or replaced with another same model engine? i like this car and would like to maintain it.

Greetings lady,

1st of all, are u sure u wanted to overhaul the car? Is it 100% overhaul replacing all worn parts with new or just go cheap by replacing them with used chop shop parts? Most outside workshops, they'll either turn u away or charge u double. If u wanted to go safe, send it to Ford Service Centre, they'll do it for u. SIME has many engineers who could help but the overhauling cost could easily cost u around RM5000. FE-DOHC means its a 1991cc inline-4 engine, meaning its overhaul cost will be less than V6 engine, minus 1 worry.

Hi Jublak,

I've read that u have sold the car, just wanted to double confirm.

icesore

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:37 AM

icesore

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Jul 8 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi all, im new to this forum. I have a long long story about my ford telstar to share smile.gif

Last year, my dad bought a 2nd hand 94 Telstar V6 from his friend as a spare car at home, the outter and inner condition looks great, and engine (outter) looks good too. It was a great car for traveling outstation when he first bought it.

1st few months when i drive ( i borrow the car from my dad), everything seems so fine. After 3 months, I noticed there was leaking of oil ( i tot it was black oil) and i sent it to check up, the foreman said its gearbox oil. I cant remember is caused by a rubber leakage or what, anyway, the problem was fixed.

But bigger problems started to appear after the leakage. After the leakage problem was fixed, the aircond started not function well, and there were noises from the engine whenever the aircond about to turn warm.

I sent it to check up at a workshop in sunway.however the foreman couldnt detect any problems, just help me to service the aircond.

Weeks later, the engine cut off out of sudden when im driving, no warning signs at all. The engine shut down in the middle of smooth driving. I gotto stop the car at road side for about 20 minutes, then only the car started to function again. The engine keep cut off automatically again and again once i drive.

After sent in for check up, the foreman still couldn't detect any faulty. After hours of checking, he only did the adjustment of the engine power level (sorry im not sure what is the correct way to name it...), just to prevent the engine die of too low (??). After he adjust it, the engine did not cut off anymore, but aircond no more, i have no choice but drive it back to my home town.

My dad send it to many shops for checking, each shop hv different stories to tell, none of them can get it fixed. At last we went to a shop, the technician suspected its the sensor faulty ( but he nt sure which one). Then i saw he took out the storage drawer at the passenger seat, and show us the messy wiring, he told us the wiring has been modified, and there was an electric board (??) gone missing. He said, this could be the main problem that caused the engine shut down, asked us go get a replacement for this.

And...at the end...the car remains unmove in my house garage for more than half years. I went back last month, there was the leaking of oil on the floor, when i start the car, the engine sounds like a dying bull, meter goes up and down up and down. I have no idea what is the problem, and Im still lookin for the solution.

Anyone experienced this problem before? or anyone here has any idea what caused the problem?
thank you. looking forward for your precious opinions biggrin.gif
(sorry for my poor explanation...im not familiar with car terms at all....sorry)