Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Automatic Transmission Driving License

• Please log in to reply

alantieng

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

alantieng

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 810 posts
QUOTE (SplitFire @ Jul 10 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wah...like that I want Aeroplane license. smile_big.gif

Rocket license more suitable for you........become space tourist....biggrin.gif
My War Machine : Mercedes Benz SLK280 3.0 V6 R171

SplitFire

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,879 posts
QUOTE (matkamil @ Jul 19 2009, 05:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha.... I started drive in malaysia in 1997. From 1990-1997 I took taxi to work since I were saving money to buy house first. 1997 I got a company car.

still has 9 pdrm summons to be paid, all for speeding.... smile_big.gif

Speed freak! smile_angry.gif smile_tongue.gif

* Quickly throw away my tickets..........* smile_big.gif

QUOTE (alantieng @ Jul 19 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rocket license more suitable for you........become space tourist....biggrin.gif

I prefered submarine license. smile_approve.gif
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

jacksonljs

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

jacksonljs

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
Latest news regarding to the automatic transmission driving lesson and test

http://thestar.com.m...=...&sec=nation
http://www.nst.com.m...rom-may-1.25149

vr2turbo

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,470 posts
So, finally will start next May.
Hope all goes well..... smile_tongue.gif

jacksonljs

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

jacksonljs

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
It's indeed a good news that Cabinet finally approved the proposed implementation of using an automatic transmission vehicles for driving lesson and test. In my opinion, although i am pro towards driving manual cars (but absolutely no problem driving auto cars), this implementation has both benefits and drawbacks.

Benefits:
1) For those living in city area where traffic jams are inevitable, i am pretty sure most driver (especially girl and even some guys) don't want to waste their times and efforts to learn how to drive the manual cars during driving lesson. Rather than have to think of balancing between accelerator and clutch pedal, an automatic car during lesson will make them more focused towards traffic flow and environment and controlling the steering wheel.
2) Easier to pass especially when it comes to hill slopes (reduce chances of the car rolling backward when it's about to move) and low possibility of engine stalling when it comes to on the road test, for some newbies, they can easily get nervous when facing this kind of situation. It's another good way for those want easier way to pass driving test to get know the feeling of the car and build up their confidence first when driving on the road. With enough driving skills and confidence, they can opt for normal driving license if they want to try manual cars. Of course they still can drive auto even with normal license.
3) For learning part (towards auto gears), of course it is easier as an automatic transmission driving lessons involves when we have to use the lock release button when shifting and which shift position where drivers have to make sure the vehicle completely stop plus when it's the time we can shift between neutral and drive position. While for manual, a driver have to learn how to release the clutch properly and how much we step on accelerator at the same time without making the car jerk and die off. If the car jerks suddenly and/or engine dies off, sometimes they will get nagging or worse, heavy scolding and even insulting comments by the driving instructor as some of them are very stingy and expect the learners to know everything, hence it can affect their next lesson. While auto driving lesson emphasizes towards how to apply brake properly.

Drawbacks:
1) For driving institute, obviously it will involve additional costs in terms of purchasing price (cheapest automatic car is about RM37k for Viva 1.0) and maintenance. But the additional costs can be reduced if not offset by imposing more expensive costs for those new learners opt for auto only driving license. And for JPJ side, then can charge higher renewal fees for auto only driving licenses.
2) Since most auto cars involves step and release the accelerator and brake most of the time, the usage of the lower gears often neglected when situation warrants especially for newbies that drive auto the moment they get the driving license (eg long hill climbing and downhill and overtaking at normal speed) thus making some auto car drivers less skilled on the road. Worst, at long downhill, it's not surprised when some auto only car drivers burned their brake pad/disc rotors after going long and steep downhill as engine braking is almost non existent in 'D' (Drive) mode and the driver don't bother to shift down (but not too low). Overall, it depends on the driver ability to control their cars and take preventive measures (like stopping for few minutes after going long downhill).
3) If a new learners simply take an automatic driving lesson test because it's easier to pass driving test, when it comes into new car purchasing (some people don't like used vehicles as it usually incurs additional repairing cost and possibly to get cheated by salesperson), sometimes they will be in trouble especially for low cost cars because the auto version usually cost additional RM3k to RM5k, some even RM8k thus making them not enough budget to buy auto vehicle counterparts. Hence, they can risk being caught driving without valid driving license if they still insist to drive manual cars with an auto only license and high possibility getting into accident and worsen the traffic jams situation if the vehicle suddenly roll backwards and there's car at the back. Unlike for manual car driving license where the holder allowed to drive both manual and auto.

Verdict:
While it's a good move by Cabinet to introduce auto only driving license to provide more option towards new driver, but every new driver should be made aware about which option (manual or auto license) they will choose. In fact, although many developed countries such as Europe, UK, Australia, Japan and Singapore having auto only license option for a long time, still they have a good numbers of manual drivers. However, as for my view, the revised driving curriculum as well as driving institute should emphasize more towards driving attitude and ethics rather than how to drive a car itself and to pass the driving test. Elements that should be put as serious attention are using signal lights every time changing lanes and few seconds before turning in junction, stopping at junction with 'STOP' sign, stopping at pedestrian crossing, obey traffic lights at all time, give ways to other road users if situation permits, don't simply park their cars anywhere as they like (including those OKU parking slot), not cutting queue (except emergency situation), don't speed like they are only one in rush, not tailgating so close, keep left if not overtaking even if driving at speed limit (at highway no matter how many lanes available) and last but not least, switch on the vehicle headlights once the sky begins to set (twilight), during bad weather and inside tunnel plus make sure all lights (especially rear lights) MUST be in working order.

kcng

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

kcng

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
actually those people who claim to be able to drive manual but purchase an auto car citing the jam... 99.999% confirm their lesen memang boleh bancuh kopi...

like what the ######?
been driving manual since i got my license daily in KL - Federal - LDP - Sprint - NKVE jam and i am not complaining....
itu pun with 3-puck clutch....

what so hard about it?
even bersih 1.0 and 2.0 jam also i tarak complain....

i kenot brain this....

its the syllabus and delivery that needs improvement... not auto or manual only license...
apa la cabinet ini... tido ka ooi?

smile_angry.gif

cute_boboi

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:07 AM

cute_boboi

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,883 posts
If Auto-license only, the car must stick like 'P' ? e.g. 'A' ?
or 'OKS' ? smile_approve.gif (Orang Kurang Skill)

"When Columbus started out he didn`t know where he was going. When he got there he didn`t know where he was and when he got back he didn`t know where he had been." - Anonymous

kcng

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

kcng

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
must ask them to stick a sticker on their car...

no-skill driver... tolong bagi chance..

smile_thumbup.gif

jacksonljs

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

jacksonljs

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
QUOTE (kcng @ Dec 29 2011, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually those people who claim to be able to drive manual but purchase an auto car citing the jam... 99.999% confirm their lesen memang boleh bancuh kopi...

smile_thumbup.gif smile_tongue.gif . However, this is not applicable if a person have to shared a car with their spouse/next of kin (due to limited parking space especially those living in condo/apartment and cost reason) and they can't drive manual or travelling in traffic bound area almost everyday.

When i was first time getting my driving license (7+ years ago), the only family car available at that time is auto until my current Myvi (2nd family car) arrived which is manual (as my choice) because i don't want lost touch with manual driving skills. Prior to delivery, i already drive auto for few months and when comes back to square one, i almost lost touch with it. Now my driving skills improved tremendously as i even can do double-clutching when situation warrants (to rev-matcing with vehicle speed) and also utilising engine braking in sharp corners and long downhills (even if i was driving an auto, i can downshift manually, except CVT).

like what the ######?
been driving manual since i got my license daily in KL - Federal - LDP - Sprint - NKVE jam and i am not complaining....
itu pun with 3-puck clutch....

what so hard about it?
even bersih 1.0 and 2.0 jam also i tarak complain....

i kenot brain this....

Of course, manual cars for me always highly prefered especially when it comes towards second/third cars, main family car will be auto for family convenience. During young time (mine also), can say 'tarak complain' when it comes to few hours traffic jam, but when getting older (about 50 ~ 60 years old)???

its the syllabus and delivery that needs improvement... not auto or manual only license...
apa la cabinet ini... tido ka ooi?

smile_angry.gif

Referred from my post:

However, as for my view, the revised driving curriculum as well as driving institute should emphasize more towards driving attitude and ethics apart from driving skills rather than how to drive a car itself and to pass the driving test. Elements that should be put as serious attention are using signal lights every time changing lanes and few seconds before turning in junction, stopping at junction with 'STOP' sign, stopping at pedestrian crossing, obey traffic lights at all time, give ways to other road users if situation permits, don't simply park their cars anywhere as they like (including those OKU parking slot), not cutting queue (except emergency situation), don't speed like they are only one in rush, not tailgating so close, keep left if not overtaking even if driving at speed limit (at highway no matter how many lanes available) and last but not least, switch on the vehicle headlights once the sky begins to set (twilight), during bad weather and inside tunnel plus make sure all lights (especially rear lights) MUST be in working order.

Newkelisa

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

Newkelisa

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Jul 1 2009, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Several countries have already implemented this ruling, and although it wouldn't be surprising to see nothing coming out of this talk, it is still an interesting topic to discuss about.

In this light, having an auto-only license is not such a bad idea, as it's probably a better than having a bunch of manual-authorised drivers, but cannot drive manual.

Hear hear .. good point.

Me think it's more dangerous to have someone who 'thinks' he can drive a manual as he learned it during driving school but have never drove a manual since then. False confidence. I reckon maybe 3/4 of our driver's don't really know how to drive a manual or are confident of driving a manual anymore? I know quite a few who after 10 years or so after driving an auto don't dare drive a manual even though they 'learned' it years ago.

Australia has two different licenses - auto and manual - and I don't see it being an issue there. And this was in the 90's. You either decide I will drive only an auto or be able to drive both.

And also nowadays some car models sold here don't even come in manual version lor ...