Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Automatic Transmission Driving License

• Please log in to reply

TheGunner

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:26 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
I'm listening to MyFM now. The topic in discussion now is that the authorities are considering offering the option for learner drivers to go for an auto-only driving license, and have their driving classes and tests conducted using auto cars too.

Several countries have already implemented this ruling, and although it wouldn't be surprising to see nothing coming out of this talk, it is still an interesting topic to discuss about.

Even though we were all trained to drive on manual, many in the urban areas have since abandoned three-pedal driving and went auto. In fact, the percentage of drivers able to handle manual transmission cars out there are shrinking anyway.

In this light, having an auto-only license is not such a bad idea, as it's probably a better than having a bunch of manual-authorised drivers, but cannot drive manual.

Being someone in my 20s, I have a few friends whose only time ever driving manual was during their 'L' days. Myself, I'm a rare convert who switched from six years of driving auto to manual, and I have no regrets making the switch. smile_tongue.gif
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

ivanee48

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

ivanee48

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Jul 1 2009, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm listening to MyFM now. The topic in discussion now is that the authorities are considering offering the option for learner drivers to go for an auto-only driving license, and have their driving classes and tests conducted using auto cars too.

Several countries have already implemented this ruling, and although it wouldn't be surprising to see nothing coming out of this talk, it is still an interesting topic to discuss about.

Even though we were all trained to drive on manual, many in the urban areas have since abandoned three-pedal driving and went auto. In fact, the percentage of drivers able to handle manual transmission cars out there are shrinking anyway.

In this light, having an auto-only license is not such a bad idea, as it's probably a better than having a bunch of manual-authorised drivers, but cannot drive manual.

Being someone in my 20s, I have a few friends whose only time ever driving manual was during their 'L' days. Myself, I'm a rare convert who switched from six years of driving auto to manual, and I have no regrets making the switch. smile_tongue.gif

smile_blackeye.gif
both or that also have their advantages. i mean on auto and manual car.

manual save cost on the maintenance.
power on dragging.
easy to running on high rev. some auto car dun have over drive mode.

i think Malaysian driving school and JPJ should take a test on manual driver because auto it is too easy to drive on.

if can driving school please take care of the method to handle emergency driven. like drifting u turn and emergency stop.
because most of the low end car dun have the anti drift system.

rgds,
ivanee

please correct me if wrong.

paparadzi

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

paparadzi

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
It is a good idea that time has come.

The current driving school syllabus in Malaysia emphasizes too much on driver vs vehicle rather than driver vs traffic / environment. That is why we have such terrible drivers on the road; they know how to manipulate the car but not the traffic. Notice how many road hoggers on the highway?

The whole driving syllabus needs to be revamped so learners will learn the more important thing such as their interaction with the surrounding traffic. Less useful skills such as stopping on an incline or shifting to take a corner can be replaced with defensive driving and road etiquette.

Expect major resistance from driving school operators.

ivanee48

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

ivanee48

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
QUOTE (paparadzi @ Jul 1 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is a good idea that time has come.

The current driving school syllabus in Malaysia emphasizes too much on driver vs vehicle rather than driver vs traffic / environment. That is why we have such terrible drivers on the road; they know how to manipulate the car but not the traffic. Notice how many road hoggers on the highway?

The whole driving syllabus needs to be revamped so learners will learn the more important thing such as their interaction with the surrounding traffic. Less useful skills such as stopping on an incline or shifting to take a corner can be replaced with defensive driving and road etiquette.

Expect major resistance from driving school operators.

agree so

doncityz

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:06 AM

doncityz

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
This will make it easier for women to get license. smile_thumbup.gif
Just dreaming the power of dreams...

TheGunner

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (doncityz @ Jul 4 2009, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This will make it easier for women to get license. smile_thumbup.gif

Don, you'll be surprised. I know of many manual-capable women drivers, and manual-incapable male drivers.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

doncityz

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

doncityz

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Jul 4 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don, you'll be surprised. I know of many manual-capable women drivers, and manual-incapable male drivers.

The latter is surprising indeed.

Just dreaming the power of dreams...

matkamil

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

matkamil

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
QUOTE (doncityz @ Jul 4 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The latter is surprising indeed.

Why surprising? I do not know how to drive stick shift. I tested using automatic in 1988.
No! Not Me!

SplitFire

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,879 posts
QUOTE (matkamil @ Jul 4 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why surprising? I do not know how to drive stick shift. I tested using automatic in 1988.

Surprise ler.... smile_shock.gif
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

TheGunner

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (matkamil @ Jul 4 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your license was taken in Malaysia?
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner