Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Detailing Your 308

• Please log in to reply

behcw

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:15 AM

behcw

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
What do you use to detail your 308?
Would help if you can post what u use and the review of the product ..

Don't wait for chances, create them!
Life is short, Play Hard!

http://behcw.blogspot.com

thinkerr

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:07 AM

thinkerr

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
QUOTE (behcw @ Jun 19 2009, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you use to detail your 308?
Would help if you can post what u use and the review of the product ..

PPS.....used to be on Mequiars but now PPS is the way to go.

alankkwong

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:44 PM

alankkwong

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
I bought a bottle of Meguairs NXT 2.0 and have been waxing the car every 10 days once...
To me, that's sufficient...
Its not what you have...... its how you use it!!

willbeh

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

willbeh

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
I bought Turtle Wax Ice. Easy to use. It's so expensive in M'sia. Saw the same thing in US few weeks back and it's so cheap. Instead, I bought a Mequiars detailer for interior, can't remember what model. Should have wait and bought those stuff when I was in US.

mankarat

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

mankarat

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Actually no advantage using machine.. It just save time and if you want agressive cutting only.. Use hands also can. Agressive cuttting is not necessary if the finish only very light scratch.

For those you want to try diy get this:

Meguiars Smooth surface kit : Contains one clay bar lubricants, two 50g clay bar and one microfiber towel.
Use it after wash your vehicle. try to rub your palms againts car surface especially on vertical panel. If you fell something like gritty or rough surface means that the surface isnt clean enough. The way to clean it is by using clay with lubricant. Instructions shown in the box so its easy to use.

After clay you must get a smooth as glass surface. But if got swirl means that surface need to polish to remove/reduce swirl/water marks.

Get Meguiars Swirl remover : Use it with a good quality applicator foam (meguiars has it). Work to the paint until light swirl has already taken out. Means it will cut paint but still safe to use by beginner as the cut is not too much. This will takes time. Dont rushing to get the best results. The method of application is work it into paint until it almost dry and buff it immediately with a microfiber towel.

Once you've got a swirl free,shiny,smooth as glass surface,its time to wax. There are numerous choice to get from meguiars. But i will prefer a NXT or Gold class wax for beginner to try. Avoid apply too much wax. Apply it evenly and very2 thin.. Avoid apply on vinyl/plastic surfaces,if kena wipe on immediately. Apply it,let it haze an wipe off excess product. Repeat waxing if necessary. For me,i will do 2 layer for even coverage. Make a routine to wax your car every 1 or 2 months. Between that (every weekend) after wash you car,use Ultimate Quik Detailer to boost the protection,increase water beading.

How to maintain a swirl free car?

Hard to say but we cant keep it swirl free for a daily driven car,means that it will exposed to dirt etc. Every time you wash your car you will insist swirl especially dark coloured car. So we cant prevent it just minimize it. It is not practical to polish your car every 2 weeks or month. Just apllypolish at least twice a year and try to maintain the surface. Some wax have a filler which will fill the swirl but it just for ordinary,but that is good enough especially for a daily driven car.

Proper wash

One bucket with soap and one bucket for rinse you sponge after each panel. When washing, if you use one bucket, you will dip a dirty sponge into soapy water and you use it all the time and that is the main cause for swirl build-up. To minimize it after each panel,rinse dirty sponge into rinse bucket and use it again in soap bucket to your next panel. I take almost two hours just to finish wash my car. If you afraid the soap might dry on the surface,rinse immediately each panel at a time especially in hot climate. Always wash in a shade.. Never let water dry on your paint surface,wipe off taik burung,tar or bugs immediately before it etching into you car surface.

This method is for consumer use only. Proffessional not to this way. Their equipment is design for their use to save time/money/effort as they do costumer car. But for own car.. we take some time,do it properly and you will get stunning result with proper techniques. And off course will more appreciate your car. Immediately go to petrol station at night to show your hard work at day. Sure proud got somebody staring at your car...
Most of Meguiars can be found at Ace Hardware,parkson And Home fix. You can also purchase at USJ 1 (Hypercoat).. Regular maintenance will protect your paint surface longer and your car will look shiny all the time..

mankarat

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

mankarat

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts
QUOTE (willbeh @ Jun 19 2009, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought Turtle Wax Ice. Easy to use. It's so expensive in M'sia. Saw the same thing in US few weeks back and it's so cheap. Instead, I bought a Mequiars detailer for interior, can't remember what model. Should have wait and bought those stuff when I was in US.

Hehe my trip to US Last April, i ended bought lot of product because price different is very big. Hehe my other friend buy shoes,cloth i ended buying water hose (craftman rubber hose) Really crazy with this detailing hobby. Balik my wife geleng kepala my luggage full of car shampooo,qd..etc..

behcw

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

behcw

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
QUOTE (mankarat @ Jun 19 2009, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hehe my trip to US Last April, i ended bought lot of product because price different is very big. Hehe my other friend buy shoes,cloth i ended buying water hose (craftman rubber hose) Really crazy with this detailing hobby. Balik my wife geleng kepala my luggage full of car shampooo,qd..etc..

Mankarat .. ur the hardcore one around here i guess... u have any ROB or RB?

Other bros all efficient .. only use single product ..

I'm the crazy one ... recently stuck with detailing.
I also like to PPS but again in Penang .. there is nothing .. even finding Meguiars is damn hard.
I got list of stuff ..... cos I love to experiment. Anyhow as of current, PG sealant gets the vote ... planning to test out Meg UDQ soon ..

Swirls are beginning to show on mine .. grey color .. very fast (but probably becos i zoom in on everything that felt not right - job sickness)... will RB it sooner than i thought. Usually use 2 bucket, wash,dry, seal, wax thing ..
Don't wait for chances, create them!
Life is short, Play Hard!

http://behcw.blogspot.com

mankarat

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

mankarat

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts
QUOTE (behcw @ Jun 19 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mankarat .. ur the hardcore one around here i guess... u have any ROB or RB?

Other bros all efficient .. only use single product ..

I'm the crazy one ... recently stuck with detailing.
I also like to PPS but again in Penang .. there is nothing .. even finding Meguiars is damn hard.
I got list of stuff ..... cos I love to experiment. Anyhow as of current, PG sealant gets the vote ... planning to test out Meg UDQ soon ..

Swirls are beginning to show on mine .. grey color .. very fast (but probably becos i zoom in on everything that felt not right - job sickness)... will RB it sooner than i thought. Usually use 2 bucket, wash,dry, seal, wax thing ..

My ride also grey (tHorium grey). Anyway swirl very hard to control. Even wash 2 bucket with grit guard still swirl. But i think that is normal for a daily driven car.. Unless its exotic car which you only drive one or two times a month. That for surela mau swirl free. I have a DA (Dual Action Polisher). I read your blog,you have Hitachi RB right? Good tools anyway. When i started about year ago,i'm not dare to use RB so i invest in a newbies friendly machine. Till now i still use it. Haha once you get poison with this detailing stuff always need to try different product,. I live in Kuantan also very hard to get detailing supply. I prefer to get them from online shop in US.. Or my trip to us i borong habis2an... Meg UQD is a maintenance tools for boosting your protection. Smells good and also good beading... Try it..

ain206

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:52 PM

ain206

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
QUOTE (mankarat @ Jun 19 2009, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bro.... still got stock or not.. for our TT on my next trip to Kuantan...... smile_cool.gif

mankarat

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:00 PM

mankarat

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts
Adala... dont worry bro..