Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Tips And Advice For Selling Car Without Dealer

• Please log in to reply

vr2turbo

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,463 posts
QUOTE (wangi @ Oct 6 2010, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. Trust is important. Recently just bought a car by cash from a stranger(seller). I paid a deposit (cash), even not take the copy of reg.card. We use a small piece of paper (written down amt received, both ic no. and both signature) on the spot as a acknowledgment receipt. Two week later, we both went to JPJ, to transfer name and same time I pay the balance (bank draft/bank cheq) and get the reg.card. I even let the seller use the car after ownership transferred, for one week becoz he haven't get his new car yet.

When I bought a second hand car last time direct from owner, same thing. Actually he was more afraid then me.
Paid by Bank draft, he handed over the car, registration and all form required for the transfer..... smile_tongue.gif

The best was when I sold off my old car.
The buyer issued a cheque to me. Told me when the cheque cleared, call him to see where and when he can collect the car..... smile_thumbup.gif

Newkelisa

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

Newkelisa

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 6 2010, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I bought a second hand car last time direct from owner, same thing. Actually he was more afraid then me.
Paid by Bank draft, he handed over the car, registration and all form required for the transfer..... smile_tongue.gif

Lucky him you can be trusted smile_wink.gif

A friend of wife was migrating overseas and needed her car to be sold off quickly. The car was bought cash by new owner. All paid up. Reg card handed over including all the form. Buyer said no worry he will transfer the name.

Fast forward a few years later. Came back to find heaps of summons on her name for her OLD CAR. The buyer never changed the ownership status.

In that case what can be done?

r3xt0n

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 6 2010, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The best was when I sold off my old car.
The buyer issued a cheque to me. Told me when the cheque cleared, call him to see where and when he can collect the car..... smile_thumbup.gif

Better to accept bank draft than cheque as cheque could be stopped or bounced. If there is bank loan involved, can get bank to handle all the transfer procedure, easier and safer for both parties.

I bought mine from direct owner too, here are some checklist

r3xt0n

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (Newkelisa @ Oct 6 2010, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A friend of wife was migrating overseas and needed her car to be sold off quickly. The car was bought cash by new owner. All paid up. Reg card handed over including all the form. Buyer said no worry he will transfer the name.

Fast forward a few years later. Came back to find heaps of summons on her name for her OLD CAR. The buyer never changed the ownership status.

Unless she can prove that the car is sold on certain date to the new owner, as if there is any Sales & Purchase agreement and receipt for the transaction.

vr2turbo

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,463 posts
QUOTE (Newkelisa @ Oct 6 2010, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If private deal, this is what I did. I wrote out sort of an agreement on a piece of paper in duplicate. Just a short note mentioning that I have sold the car (Reg. No) to such a person (name & ic) for how much and when. Both parties sign and I forward a copy to JPJ.
For your wife friend case, looks like she/he have to pay the summons...... smile_blackeye.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,463 posts
QUOTE (r3xt0n @ Oct 6 2010, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Better to accept bank draft than cheque as cheque could be stopped or bounced. If there is bank loan involved, can get bank to handle all the transfer procedure, easier and safer for both parties.

If you saw my post, buyer let me have the cheque to be cleared first...... smile_thumbup.gif

Have been dealing with the banks those days, a bank draft can also be stopped. Owner can report to the bank that he has dropped it and wants to cancel it..... smile_shock.gif

wangi

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

wangi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 7 2010, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If private deal, this is what I did. I wrote out sort of an agreement on a piece of paper in duplicate. Just a short note mentioning that I have sold the car (Reg. No) to such a person (name & ic) for how much and when. Both parties sign and I forward a copy to JPJ.
For your wife friend case, looks like she/he have to pay the summons...... smile_blackeye.gif

When I paid for my parking summon last time, found out that previous owners have not paid the summons. I checked with the officer at counter, he said no need to pay the summons for previous owner, now is base on the name and IC. They will blacklist the owner who never paid based on name & IC. Btw, the summons check list got list down the name and IC of the owners who own the car before. I thought JPJ should have the record on transfer date?

vr2turbo

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,463 posts
QUOTE (wangi @ Oct 7 2010, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I paid for my parking summon last time, found out that previous owners have not paid the summons. I checked with the officer at counter, he said no need to pay the summons for previous owner, now is base on the name and IC. They will blacklist the owner who never paid based on name & IC. Btw, the summons check list got list down the name and IC of the owners who own the car before. I thought JPJ should have the record on transfer date?

But the car ownership was not transferred, so previous owner is still present owner.....kena loh..... smile_blackeye.gif

wangi

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

wangi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 7 2010, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But the car ownership was not transferred, so previous owner is still present owner.....kena loh..... smile_blackeye.gif

Now I see. Read it wrongly.

vr2turbo

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:58 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,463 posts
QUOTE (wangi @ Oct 7 2010, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I see. Read it wrongly.

Buy and sell time, also scare, now transfer, don't transfer, also problem...... smile_blackeye.gif