Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Toyota Vios Gearbox Oil

• Please log in to reply

kevin62

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

kevin62

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
Bro/sister,

My sis just bought a 2005 vios and the gear change from 1st to 2nd a bit rough. May i know what kind of gearbox oil u using? And how many KM for the oil change? Gearbox filter need to be replace?

Another question is Engine oil. Can i use REDLINE 5W30?

First time own toyota car. So ask the noob question.

Thanks
BIG KEV

azbro

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

azbro

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts
If I'm not mistaken, Vios 2005 need to replace the gearbox fluid every 40K..

Only change gearbox oil at UMWSC....
The cost is:
Flushing and labour charge RM72
ATF2 4LT (Type T IV) X 3 = RM235.8
G.Tax = RM3.6
Total = Rm311.4 smile.gif

But before you change the oil check the service manual first. When did the last owner change the GB oil?

Engine service you can do at outside shop...for me...I get the Toyota oil and stuff from reputable parts shop.
The Toyota Semi Sync engine oil ROCKS...can last 10K KM easy...get them..cost abt RM70.

Joytoy

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

Joytoy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
QUOTE (azbro @ Apr 16 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I'm not mistaken, Vios 2005 need to replace the gearbox fluid every 40K..

Only change gearbox oil at UMWSC....
The cost is:
Flushing and labour charge RM72
ATF2 4LT (Type T IV) X 3 = RM235.8
G.Tax = RM3.6
Total = Rm311.4 smile.gif

But before you change the oil check the service manual first. When did the last owner change the GB oil?

Engine service you can do at outside shop...for me...I get the Toyota oil and stuff from reputable parts shop.
The Toyota Semi Sync engine oil ROCKS...can last 10K KM easy...get them..cost abt RM70.

Azbro. I don't think you should chnage the semi synt oil at 10k km. After all not too expensive - change it at lower mileage.

I change my fully synt at max 9k km although they claim to last for 10k km. At 9k, it is already black colour. Especially with traffic jam, the actual running time is more than compared with what we see at the odometer.

azbro

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

azbro

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts
QUOTE (Joytoy @ Apr 16 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Azbro. I don't think you should chnage the semi synt oil at 10k km. After all not too expensive - change it at lower mileage.

I change my fully synt at max 9k km although they claim to last for 10k km. At 9k, it is already black colour. Especially with traffic jam, the actual running time is more than compared with what we see at the odometer.

I always agree on changing the oil more frequently, but the 10K is UMWSC recommendation for the Toyota Semi Syn engine oil, so I just follow it.

Joytoy

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

Joytoy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
QUOTE (azbro @ Apr 16 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always agree on changing the oil more frequently, but the 10K is UMWSC recommendation for the Toyota Semi Syn engine oil, so I just follow it.

Azbra, I think you should check with the SC. Semi is 7.5k km & fully synt is 10k km.

Don't put unnecessary strain on your engine by saving a bit of maintenance money.

khskeet

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

khskeet

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 314 posts
QUOTE (Joytoy @ Apr 16 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Azbra, I think you should check with the SC. Semi is 7.5k km & fully synt is 10k km.

Don't put unnecessary strain on your engine by saving a bit of maintenance money.

Yup i agree with you joytoy. for semi I change at 7k and fully at 10k or less. few years back when economy was good i change semi at 5k smile.gif

simonlim

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

simonlim

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
QUOTE (khskeet @ Apr 16 2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup i agree with you joytoy. for semi I change at 7k and fully at 10k or less. few years back when economy was good i change semi at 5k smile.gif

i have always changed semi syn at 5k service interval, in my waja last time. same for the vios now.
<SiMoN LiM>
Toyota Camry 2.4V ACV30

kevin62

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

kevin62

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
I never reach 10k km for an oil change. The most i go only 9k.

So you guys using original engine oil from TOYOTA only? What is the original engine oil rate? 5W40 or?

Toyota gearbox oil change need RM3++ is almost same like my Peugeot 406. I just change 6 Little and cost me RM350.
BIG KEV

alldisc

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
QUOTE (Joytoy @ Apr 16 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

toyota motor corp japan does allow the genuine toyota motor oil TMO semi synthetic to be used up to 10K before change. same goes to UMW toyota. the price is RM83.50 per 4L pack.

QUOTE (kevin62 @ Apr 17 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never reach 10k km for an oil change. The most i go only 9k.

So you guys using original engine oil from TOYOTA only? What is the original engine oil rate? 5W40 or?

Toyota gearbox oil change need RM3++ is almost same like my Peugeot 406. I just change 6 Little and cost me RM350.

the price 300++ is for flushing, which requires 12 litres. the result is gearbox is 99% clean.
if dont want to flush but instead just drain and top up, the cost is about RM100 (4litres ATF plus labour) - which is 3 times cheaper than the peugoet.

azbro

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

azbro

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts
QUOTE (alldisc @ Apr 17 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
toyota motor corp japan does allow the genuine toyota motor oil TMO semi synthetic to be used up to 10K before change. same goes to UMW toyota. the price is RM83.50 per 4L pack.

the price 300++ is for flushing, which requires 12 litres. the result is gearbox is 99% clean.
if dont want to flush but instead just drain and top up, the cost is about RM100 (4litres ATF plus labour) - which is 3 times cheaper than the peugoet.

I remembered clearly that Toyota Vios need servicing every 5000km...then they come out with this new range of TGMO that can last 10,000km.
They even mail the memo to everyone.

Anyway...alldisc...I've just did the RM300 gear oil change....can I just replace the oil after the next 40K km without flushing?
My driving is mostly in town / taman and I love to rev high.