Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Why Isuzu Is Not Popular As Toyota And Mitshubishi?

• Please log in to reply

bwsy2002

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

bwsy2002

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
Hi All 4WD Gurus,

I have a simple question after reading quite a number of your forums reply here.

It seems quite a lot of good comments regarding isuzu car i.e. trooper, Dmax...etc, why the market still prefer toyota to isuzu? I just do a simple comparison: 1) there are more Hilux than Dmax. 2) There are more Prado or Pajero than Trooper (take the case in Kuching here on the road).

Talking about second hand value, the isuzu car will be depreciated more than 50% as compared to Toyota for the same condition of car. I am sorry for all the isuzu lovers but this is my observation. Please correct me if I am wrong.

cheers

ShiftVQV6

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

ShiftVQV6

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts
if u observe carefully, ppl in east malaysia (sabah, sarawak) are generally favour toyota and mitsu.

u ask them, they will tell u toyota is the best, robust etc..... mitsu is cos of the name they created in rally......

Tourist

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (ShiftVQV6 @ Feb 9 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if u observe carefully, ppl in east malaysia (sabah, sarawak) are generally favour toyota and mitsu.

u ask them, they will tell u toyota is the best, robust etc..... mitsu is cos of the name they created in rally......

The Mitsubishi Pajero you buy is very different from the one they use in Dakar rally. Go ask your friendly mechanic and they will tell you the very refined and powerful luxurious 2.8 TD is very problematic and expensive to repair.

A lot of people buy Toyota is because of brand name and better resale value. If you do not intend to change cars often, then Isuzu is better value for money.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

Gunnerzz

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
the sabah and sarawak scene is an avalanche effect thingy i guess.
one people start is and others follow.
most probably there are nobody bring mitsu there in the begining and only Toyota are easily bought there.
so they go for the toyota then.and they stick to it.
they can afford any Land rover but Toyota is closer to them.
another factor is,those people in sabah and sarawak whom own landcruiser just need to spend their money on something.and the only way to do it is to buy a Land cruiser as thats the only 4x4 that they 'can' buy.yes they can buy a silvia,350z or rx8 easily but these car can only be used in the city.
however,pickup like triton,d-max are slowly gaining popularity.
this is based on my experienced studying there.

i dont see much mitsu in sabah actually.even the robust LO47 is kinda hard to be seen.its toyota landcruiser most of the time and the hilux.

sometimes its the brand image.toyota for reliability.
but then again, i will never trade my Pajero for a landcruiser.no offence to landcruiser owner.
why?bcoz i hav experienced the LO47 capability and easy maintanance.
well,the landcruiser II might change my mind.

ShiftVQV6

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

ShiftVQV6

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts
yeah... 2.8 pajero is problematic.... nearly bought into one last time.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

offcourse market version and dakar version is totally different.... but the name mitsu had associated with dakar made it much more preferable compare to isuzu.

toyota and mitsu engine is more refine than isuzu..... not sure on the engine of dmax though.

yeah... 2.8 pajero is problematic.... nearly bought into one last time.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

offcourse market version and dakar version is totally different.... but the name mitsu had associated with dakar made it much more preferable compare to isuzu.

toyota and mitsu engine is more refine than isuzu..... not sure on the engine of dmax though.

Tourist

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (Gunnerzz @ Feb 9 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the sabah and sarawak scene is an avalanche effect thingy i guess.
one people start is and others follow.
most probably there are nobody bring mitsu there in the begining and only Toyota are easily bought there.
so they go for the toyota then.and they stick to it.
they can afford any Land rover but Toyota is closer to them.
another factor is,those people in sabah and sarawak whom own landcruiser just need to spend their money on something.and the only way to do it is to buy a Land cruiser as thats the only 4x4 that they 'can' buy.yes they can buy a silvia,350z or rx8 easily but these car can only be used in the city.
however,pickup like triton,d-max are slowly gaining popularity.
this is based on my experienced studying there.

i dont see much mitsu in sabah actually.even the robust LO47 is kinda hard to be seen.its toyota landcruiser most of the time and the hilux.

sometimes its the brand image.toyota for reliability.
but then again, i will never trade my Pajero for a landcruiser.no offence to landcruiser owner.
why?bcoz i hav experienced the LO47 capability and easy maintanance.
well,the landcruiser II might change my mind.

In East Malaysia, Toyota were late into the market with 4 door model. Isuzu were first.

L047 was robust but seriously underpowered, a headache climbing hills necessitating working overtime on gear change. The similarly priced Isuzu Trooper 2.8 TD runs circle around the L047 in term of performance but not refinement. Much more powerful engine (can climb similar hill on 5th gear), more fuel economical, slightly better road holding dynamic (LCII is bad), all disc brakes.
I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

spirit36

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:08 AM

spirit36

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
QUOTE (bwsy2002 @ Feb 9 2009, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All 4WD Gurus,

I have a simple question after reading quite a number of your forums reply here.

It seems quite a lot of good comments regarding isuzu car i.e. trooper, Dmax...etc, why the market still prefer toyota to isuzu? I just do a simple comparison: 1) there are more Hilux than Dmax. 2) There are more Prado or Pajero than Trooper (take the case in Kuching here on the road).

Talking about second hand value, the isuzu car will be depreciated more than 50% as compared to Toyota for the same condition of car. I am sorry for all the isuzu lovers but this is my observation. Please correct me if I am wrong.

cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
read somewhere in the thread that the DMax FC able to achieve 1400km per full tank is b'cos the vehicle is running at 60km/hr with extreme light load/no load.

Choosing DMax or Hilux is a personal choice. List your priority and then decide.

Many choose Hilux simply of the followings :-
1. Many on the road, its the better buy. (A bit of Kiasu and I will folo u concept)
2. Even the performance spec is way lower then triton, still Hilux bcos of point 1.
3. Hilux teribble bumpyness, change to ranchos or bliestien.
4. Underpower, TUNIT is available.
5. Upgrade, spare parts, abundance everywhere.
6. Cabin space, the biggest. If Dmax, u can't change it.
7. Fuel consumption, how much diff.? RM10 +- each tank full.
8. Rims 15', change to your preferred size.
9. No intercooler, no one cares. U can install if you want to.

Yet, Dmax is gaining market share and so is Triton.
Its all depend with what you want. Happy Hunting and not Hunted by it.

Rgds.
laugh.gif

bwsy2002

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

bwsy2002

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
[quote name='spirit36' date='Feb 10 2009, 01:08 AM' post='1363733']
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
read somewhere in the thread that the DMax FC able to achieve 1400km per full tank is b'cos the vehicle is running at 60km/hr with extreme light load/no load.

spirit36,

If that is true, I think other FWD cars can acheive 1400km per full tank lor.....how many time in our life to drive only 60km/hr on the highway? not even on the city road, right? laugh.gif

Tourist

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (bwsy2002 @ Feb 10 2009, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If that is true, I think other FWD cars can acheive 1400km per full tank lor.....how many time in our life to drive only 60km/hr on the highway? not even on the city road, right? laugh.gif

If Toyota/Mitsubishi/Nissan 4wd could also achieve 1400km doing the same 60kph, why hasn't they done so? After all, it will be a publicity coup. So unless they also demonstrate they could, we can only assume they couldn't.

bwsy2002

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

bwsy2002

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
QUOTE (Tourist @ Feb 10 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Toyota/Mitsubishi/Nissan 4wd could also achieve 1400km doing the same 60kph, why hasn't they done so? After all, it will be a publicity coup. So unless they also demonstrate they could, we can only assume they couldn't.

May be you are right. But it all depends on the company's marketing strategy to emphasize only certain stronger features of their respective car model. But I think Isuzu engines have a strong point, thats' using timing chain without any replacement for life.

p/s: When do we suppose to change the timing belt of a FWD or even a saloon car? 100,000 km?