Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Tyre Shine

• Please log in to reply

TheGunner

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 27 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whether the tyre shines or not also depends on the rubber. I have tried the same tyre shine on GY, Falken and Yokies rubber and find them to shine differently. Could also be the age of the tyres/rubber, and also the sidewall design.

Agreed, much depends on the tyre shine film's adherence to your tyre compound. As we know that each tyre manufacturer has their own choice of rubber compounds for their tyres, their adherence to other substances will vary.

From a molecular point of view, if the tyre shine compound bonds well with the compound of the tyre, your shine will definitely last longer as more energy is required to break the bonds between them.

The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

vr2turbo

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,832 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Jan 27 2009, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed, much depends on the tyre shine film's adherence to your tyre compound. As we know that each tyre manufacturer has their own choice of rubber compounds for their tyres, their adherence to other substances will vary.

From a molecular point of view, if the tyre shine compound bonds well with the compound of the tyre, your shine will definitely last longer as more energy is required to break the bonds between them.

Gunner,

I thought you don't even wash your tyres, but you are so technical on the tyre shine tongue.gif tongue.gif

rdgs,

TheGunner

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 27 2009, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gunner,

I thought you don't even wash your tyres, but you are so technical on the tyre shine tongue.gif tongue.gif

rdgs,

Applying what I learn from uni nia tongue.gif

The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

vr2turbo

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 69,832 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Jan 27 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Applying what I learn from uni nia tongue.gif

ha! ha! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

g88

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
a good tyre dressing would be silicone base or gel oil...anything that water based would be useless for tyres.

More important is the tyre surface must 101% clean in order for the product to bond longer...

ModMyVi

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

ModMyVi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
i use this Tupps tire shine available in most shops la i think. i got it from JJ @ around RM9.90 only.

lasts me quite ok, about a week and its still there. as all sifus would say, u seriously need to take out some degreaser / all-in-one cleaner / dishwasher(my choice) to clean clean all tires using a coconut scrub. and scrub passionately laugh.gif

dapat

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

dapat

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
try buying the "milky" liquid from the tyre shop, cost about rm4/5 for a bottle of 500 ml.

g88

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

g88

Duke of Hazzard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,280 posts
those 'susu' dressing used by most of car wash is water based therefore durability is totally out.

a good tyre dressing should able to provide water resistant...

even tested Endurance gloss where after travelling over 100km in raining day + highway...still there smile.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 69,832 posts
QUOTE (g88 @ Jan 29 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
those 'susu' dressing used by most of car wash is water based therefore durability is totally out.

a good tyre dressing should able to provide water resistant...

even tested Endurance gloss where after travelling over 100km in raining day + highway...still there smile.gif

Same as I mention earlier, the tyre shine used by tyre shop and or petrol station are the cheap stuff where they just want to shine your tyres for looks there and then. After that is your business..... ohmy.gif

whoopee

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

whoopee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
QUOTE (g88 @ Jan 28 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a good tyre dressing would be silicone base or gel oil...anything that water based would be useless for tyres.

More important is the tyre surface must 101% clean in order for the product to bond longer...

g88,

May I ask where we could get there 'silicone base or gel oil' tyre shine ah? What are the recommended brands ah? rolleyes.gif

Thanks in advance.

Choosing the right donut for safety & confidence; Modifying car for performance; Mastering auto-detailing is an art & passion...and indulging in all is a xiao way of life!