Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Buying E39 - Need Advise

• Please log in to reply

TT3952

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:10 AM

TT3952

6th Gear

• Members
  • 9 posts
Hi Bro,
i'm thinking of buying E39 used car, please advise me what should i check/inspect the car condition? I'm targeting of buying 523 year '00. What type of engine Double or Single Vanos? What else to check? Is this model expensive to maintain?

thank you so much!

sach

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:00 AM

sach

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
www.bmwclubmalaysia.com

rolleyes.gif

tempestv8

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

tempestv8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

'00 will be single vanos.

Things to look out for:

1. broken cup holders - these are very flimsy and useless
2. steering wheel shudder when cruising on highway - this can be very difficult to fix
3. radiator and water pump and expansion tank *WILL* need to be replaced at some stage so include that cost in your budget
4. door seals are fragile and can get damaged if driver is large sized and rubs the edges when getting in and out
5. check to see if the auto transmission fluid has ever been changed - if not, then be prepared to walk away from the deal, because they can fail if the fluid has never been changed.
6. check airconditioning fan speed control works (low and high speeds can be controlled)
7. look at the display panel to see if there are missing pixels

That's about it, I think.

TSIJetta

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

TSIJetta

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
QUOTE (tempestv8 @ Feb 15 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'00 will be single vanos.

Things to look out for:

1. broken cup holders - these are very flimsy and useless
2. steering wheel shudder when cruising on highway - this can be very difficult to fix
3. radiator and water pump and expansion tank *WILL* need to be replaced at some stage so include that cost in your budget
4. door seals are fragile and can get damaged if driver is large sized and rubs the edges when getting in and out
5. check to see if the auto transmission fluid has ever been changed - if not, then be prepared to walk away from the deal, because they can fail if the fluid has never been changed.
6. check airconditioning fan speed control works (low and high speeds can be controlled)
7. look at the display panel to see if there are missing pixels

That's about it, I think.

Bro,

Thanks for your info.

Am interested with this model too, or maybe 525, but dont seems to get it easily. It's either the car is too good to sell off or rugi to sell. I was at AB Sg Besi last sat, unfortunately, they dont sell anymore 2nd, only those demo or pre reg.

BTW, forgive me as a newbie, but what's a double Vanos? In ur opinion, what's the different between a 523i & 525i? I think both are 2.5cc rt? What bout the service maintenance & cost?

Thanks in advance.

anek1

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

anek1

Hot Rod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13,567 posts

Hi,
I actually also looking for a E39, but I'm more on the ext n interior quality
for engine wise..i actually thinking to change its to a double vanos engine once
i get the car...so i dun mine buying older model as long as the car in prefect
build quality. I found a unit of E39 523i '98 selling at RM 80K....

TSIJetta

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:39 PM

TSIJetta

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
Dear All,

I'm really interested to buy a E39, where can I find a good & reliable BMW mechanic to check the car? As I dont know own BMW, therefore, dont know anyone.

Please help. Thanks in advance smile_question.gif

azan23uk

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

azan23uk

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
QUOTE (TSIJetta @ May 4 2009, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear All,

I'm really interested to buy a E39, where can I find a good & reliable BMW mechanic to check the car? As I dont know own BMW, therefore, dont know anyone.

Please help. Thanks in advance smile_question.gif

Bro TSI,

U can find a lot of helpfull info and sifu in bmwclubmalaysia.com. take a tour there. i drive a 528i yr 2000 e39. before i had a waja. what a car this e39 is...

TSIJetta

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

TSIJetta

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
QUOTE (azan23uk @ Jul 7 2009, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro TSI,

U can find a lot of helpfull info and sifu in bmwclubmalaysia.com. take a tour there. i drive a 528i yr 2000 e39. before i had a waja. what a car this e39 is...

Yo Bro,

Congrats on your ride.

I've been to that site, but not much of info that i can find for E39 525i. So, how long you driven this car? Any known problems so far? Where do you bring for servicing?

Hope you can share some info with me.

That day while driving to Cherating, saw a 525d & 530d, I know it's diesel, but how good is that car ah?

Thanks

azan23uk

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

azan23uk

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
QUOTE (TSIJetta @ Jul 7 2009, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yo Bro,

Congrats on your ride.

I've been to that site, but not much of info that i can find for E39 525i. So, how long you driven this car? Any known problems so far? Where do you bring for servicing?

Hope you can share some info with me.

That day while driving to Cherating, saw a 525d & 530d, I know it's diesel, but how good is that car ah?

Thanks

hi,

sorry for the late reply. look carefully on the thread...info is there. i've had it for almost 2 yrs alrdy. what they said on the earlier part of this thread is true. The problems are universal...almost everyone will kena sooner or later. I have a trusted mechanic in D'sara.

Not much I know about diesel e39. very rare in m'sia...even for the e60. Join the bmwclub. u can PM me you number so u can know a lot more. TQ

Azan

archebald3

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

archebald3

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
Water Tank and Expansion Tank are the ones mostly changed in this specific model so you have to check em often. these are not that expensive though and doesn't matter if you get the oem or aftermarket parts.
tHe gReat arcHebALd!
watch me here: How To Replace a Muffler