Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Top Overhaul Or Complete Overhaul Or Another Car?

• Please log in to reply

kohf1drive

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:20 AM

kohf1drive

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts
I would go for overhaul, change all the damage part at stages
New or used car with monthly installment wouldn't justify with your current maintenance cost

hari

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

hari

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts
rfbu,

if you have the time and money have a complete overhaul done. it's been a year since i did mine and have no regrets. i believe your engine is also xu10j2.

hari

Peugeot 605 refurbishing project

last update 24/09/09

Visit My Website

pupjoint

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

pupjoint

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
QUOTE (maxcobmara @ Jan 20 2009, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since there is no white smoke and you have traced the oil disappearance from the leaking gasket, you could get away with just a top overhaul. Which should include new gasket, a valve clean-up and check the clearances.

You could wait for 320,000km for the full overhaul, which should include a complete rebuild and change of all water hoses and maybe new pistons. You could even push it up to 2.2 16V while keeping the old block.

Another car? Well how much would you get for your ZX and what car could you buy for that money? A downpayment on a MyVi? err Everyone I know who sold their ZX has regretted it.

if you do top end job, i highly recommend changing the piston rings together with the valve job. IMO, both of them go together.

max, i am interested in pushing the stock block to 2.2 16v while keeping the old block. care to share what is needed and who can do it?

maxcobmara

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:15 AM

maxcobmara

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 765 posts
well at the minimum you would need the 2.2 PSA pistons and sleeves. If you got a half cut 2.2 you could do an overhaul while transplant everything, and bore the block to 2.2 specs, and have a 16v head to boot, run some hotter cams and maybe you got 170hp and 220Nm
MaxCobMara! If you dont Max it, It don't count
Current Garage: 320d M-Sport, 306cabrio, Citroen C5Mk1 EXV6 3.0, Alfa Romeo 33 1.5IE, Volvo 940GLT, Pug 306XRGTi-6, E200K AG, Fiat Punto Cabrio 1.6 Abarth Custom, Volvo 740GLE 2.3A, Gen-2 1.6A
Exes : Pug305GTX, BMW E30 UK, Iswara 1.3&1.3A/B, Kawa K1, Perdana SEi, Satria 1.6A, Comel JD50, Tiara 1.1 Custom, BMW E39 523 2.5, Ford Focus 2.0S Hatch, Gen-2 1.6 M
Totalled : Saga 1.5, Wira 1.3, Merc W115, Yamaha VX250, Citroen Zx 1.9 Volcane, Pug 206CC 2.0, Fiat Multipla 1.9JTD, , Citroen C3 1.6 Sensodrive ASD Phantom
Stolen : Merc W115, Fiat 131

dereklaw

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

dereklaw

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 953 posts
I will probably be the only one to say this - get a new car if your job is secure but wait for the right timing for more goodies. A new car will give you peace of mind and good FC for the next 3 to 5 years but the onlt issue is that your ZX will not fetch any trade-in value. Thus you will have to keep as a spare car.

The dilemma of all car owners is how much should we spend to upkeep an aging car, especially when you have intention to buy a new car. Unlike a house, any additional maintanence on an old car will not fetch much increase in market value. But safety is important and should never be neglected.

......Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by
the moments that take our breath away. It's really amazing when
two strangers become the best of friends, but it is really sad when
the best of friends become two strangers......

supermag

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

supermag

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,270 posts
QUOTE (dereklaw @ Feb 9 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will probably be the only one to say this - get a new car if your job is secure but wait for the right timing for more goodies. A new car will give you peace of mind and good FC for the next 3 to 5 years but the onlt issue is that your ZX will not fetch any trade-in value. Thus you will have to keep as a spare car.

The dilemma of all car owners is how much should we spend to upkeep an aging car, especially when you have intention to buy a new car. Unlike a house, any additional maintanence on an old car will not fetch much increase in market value. But safety is important and should never be neglected.

err..for me, my daily journey is about 10KMs to and 10KMs back, don't use that much of petrol, so great FC is not a highest priority point but a minor one in my criterias for a car. My concern is the total ownership cost. Comparing my kenari ( with loan installment) and citroen, i think my citroen saves more leh. but to each his own i guess. wink.gif

Jokers to my left, clowns to my right.

Silver Canary Power!

rfbu

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:05 AM

rfbu

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts
QUOTE (supermag @ Feb 10 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
err..for me, my daily journey is about 10KMs to and 10KMs back, don't use that much of petrol, so great FC is not a highest priority point but a minor one in my criterias for a car. My concern is the total ownership cost. Comparing my kenari ( with loan installment) and citroen, i think my citroen saves more leh. but to each his own i guess. wink.gif

hi super, i recall you fixed your radiator some time back, and also recall you located a radiator shop in Sg 2 opposite tesco super.

could you give me the address and phone number? mine is leaking

about maintaining an old car, it gets to be a hassle especially all i really need is a daily ride. cheers!

supermag

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

supermag

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,270 posts
QUOTE (rfbu @ Feb 12 2009, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi super, i recall you fixed your radiator some time back, and also recall you located a radiator shop in Sg 2 opposite tesco super.

could you give me the address and phone number? mine is leaking

about maintaining an old car, it gets to be a hassle especially all i really need is a daily ride. cheers!

go in Hamna area. 3rd row,almost middle of the block. last i went to get a quotation, he hesitated to give me one, all he said, bring to ah hwa and u kautim the price with ah hwa. so good luck.

Jokers to my left, clowns to my right.

Silver Canary Power!