Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Hyundai Sonata 2.0l "test-drive" Review

• Please log in to reply

Informer

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

Informer

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
Hyundai Sonata 2.0L "Test-drive" Review

Hi All,

Let me share my experience regarding the Hyundai Sonata 2.0L.

For the past weeks I have been going from Showroom to Showroom testing cars of the 2.0 litre category dan doing "test-drives".

It all started with the BMW E90 323i at Auto Bavaria, Segambut.
Then Merc C-Class W204 C200K at Cycle & Carriage Bintang, Jalan Tun Razak.
Then BMW E90 325i at Auto Bavaria, Jalan Sungai Besi.
Then BMW E60 523i and 525i at also Auto Bavaria, Jalan Sungai Besi.
Then Honda Accord 2.4L at Honda, Setapak.
Then Toyota Camry 2.4L at Toyota, Wangsa Maju and Ampang Point,
and today a Hyundai Sonata 2.0L (Expecting a 2.4L) at Kah Bintang Auto, Jalan 222 (P. Narayanan), PJ.

Phewww... what an exciting week.

To recap previous experience, the last time I post at this Autoworld Forum is on 2001, when I was owning a Proton Waja.

After a few years of silence, and a few cars change, until owning a Perdana V6 now, I was thinking to migrate to a better and comfortable car.

The BMW's and Mercedes are at a different league and quite (not very) expensive.

All these cars are actually not expensive, but due too our "Custom Tax Tariff", people who wish to own these cars must sacrifice 200% more than the average class people.

(**A BMW E90 325i SE upon arriving at our shore will only cost at RM106k, but RM309k at Showrooms. This means that, a Proton Perdana V6 owner will be driving the same car if not because of the said "Custom's Tax Tariff").

In another words, these owners must pay more and almost 200% more for just to get the "prestige & brand", and be well recognize in and among the people and the Malaysian community.

It's is a common "mind-set" that when you see a person driving a BMW or Mercedes (owner or as a paid driver), we will automatically brand that person as a well establish person in our community.

On the other hand, on my point of view, that "prestige & brand", is cause by the existing "System" in the country, so it's not these owner's fault, but just they need to work more and harder to get that said establishment from other common people in the community.

So, back to the 2007 Hyundai Sonata 2.0L review.

Comparing it to the 2009 Honda Accord 2.4L and 2008 Toyota Camry 2.4L, again in terms of power, acceleration, noise insulation and comfort, they are almost the same with some have a better points than the other.

The function of these said cars commuting people from point A to B doesn't differ much. The term comfort is "subjective" from one person to another, so to say one is better and another is also subjective.

Price comparision:
Honda Accord 2.4L = RM170k
Toyota Camry 2.4L = RM170k
Hyundai Sonata 2.4L = RM130k (saves RM40k)

Power:
Honda Accord 2.4L = 180HP @ 6500RPM
Toyota Camry 2.4L = 167HP @ 6000RPM
Hyundai Sonata 2.4L = 161HP @ 5800RPM

In terms of "torque", the Toyota Camry and Hyundai Sonata is better power than the Honda Accord. In common sense, if you are driving at 120-140km/h, the RPM's of all these cars will just be around 2500-3500RPM. So, unless, a person drives at 6000RPM or 200km/h and above, the said numbers "does matter" a lot.

Handling:
At mid range speed and town driving, all these cars perform well and acceptable to the 2.0L class range.
I haven't test-drive these cars to the limit, so, I just can't elaborate much about the handling at 200km/h or more.

It's common sense that 90% of a cars lifetime speed is at urban and mid-range speed of 120km/h, and the other 10% at a higher speed (these high speeding also willingly contribute more of the car owner's RM's to fund the PDRM and the Malaysian's Government in terms of "traffic summons").

My conclusion:
1. Honda Accord
2. Toyota Camry
3. Hyundai Sonata

In terms of "resale value", both the Accord and Camry is better, unless you change "cars" every 7 years, the said "resale value" doesn't really mean much.

In terms of "RM economy", the Hyundai Sonata is RM40k cheaper than the other two, but we are not "Korean's", so, that savings just doesn't really matter.

"Drive Safely"

Just my 2 cents.
http://salihuddin-mu...ar-reviews.html

Note: **Sample of Tariff...

Attached Thumbnails

• cukai_kastam3.jpg

Courtesy:
iMotorMy...

jayraptor

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Very good review there. When look at Honda air intake design, it's not meant for torque. More towards over rev n horsepower only.

In terms of handling:
1. Hyundai Sonata NF
2. Honda Accord
3. Toyota Camry

Safety including low speed collision:
1. Hyundai Sonata (bumper could withstand below 10km/h collision)
2. Honda Accord
3. Toyota Camry (side collision is ok but poorer than the 2)

Torque to weight ratio:
1. Hyundai Sonata
2. Toyota Camry
3. Honda Accord

Horsepower, needless to say as Honda is always tuned to high revv.

NVH:
1. Honda Accord
2. Hyundai Sonata
3. Toyota Camry

FC?? When I took the Sonata on heavy traffic FC test for few days, it performed well getting 9Km/L. I see some Sonata NF owners complaining much on FC. No sure whether they have not owned 2.0L above b4 or something. New Accord '09 not yet tested for 2.0 & 2.4. Camry never tried 2.4L. Sonata never tried 2.0L. I love Sonata's full time valve timing and the rebadged Theta I4 is Mitsu engine. Camry's just for low speed use while Accord's mechanical valve timing should be best however with lower torque, it'll rev more often.

My choice if I don't mind 2.4 road tax n fuel:
1. Toyota Camry (if price matters I'll give Sonata 1st. Sonata can also be 1st as Camry scores lower than the 2)
2. Hyundai Sonata (scores high on almost all aspects except ugly centre dash console)
3. Honda Accord

Kevin

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
I have not driven the new Accord but if you were to compare the Camry 2.4 and the Sonata NF 2.4, at high speeds, the Sonata feels more planted on the road compared to the Camry. The Camry is a tad quieter though.

The feel good factor is there with the Camry but if you delve deeper under the skin of both cars, you will realise that the Sonata is the better built car.

End of the day, the buyer decides.

donyong

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:48 PM

donyong

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
You forgot one more car....

Mazda 6 2.0. Test that too.

p.s. as per NHTSA, all bumpers have to withstand 5mph test. All cars highlighted above, passed this test.

jayraptor

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Jan 22 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have not driven the new Accord but if you were to compare the Camry 2.4 and the Sonata NF 2.4, at high speeds, the Sonata feels more planted on the road compared to the Camry. The Camry is a tad quieter though.

The feel good factor is there with the Camry but if you delve deeper under the skin of both cars, you will realise that the Sonata is the better built car.

End of the day, the buyer decides.

Camry scores the worst noise test amongst the three, believe it or not. It's engine is quite noisy probably due to no balance shaft. Honda is quietest n Sonata is not bad neither.

Donyong,

Should say Mazda 6 2.5L as the rest are all 2.4L. Needless to say, Mazda 6 won in performance, handling and design. But in terms of price Mazda 6 is the most expensive. If Mazda 6 selling price is the same or lower than its competitors it'll sell better. Too bad.

Kevin

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:46 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
Jayraptor,

If you are talking about the 2.0 Camry, then yes, it is noisier. The cold start up sound emanating from the Camry 2.0 engine is so shameful that I cringe each time my neighbours start it.

The Camry 2.4 is better though and that was what I was referring to.

Ade_Lee

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

Ade_Lee

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
For a large sized person like me (6", 100kgs) the Sonata is actually the most comfortable car to be in. Leg space and elbow room is significantly more than the Camry and Accord.

Accord is very low down, so it feels like I'm falling into the car everytime.

Camry is short, so my hair brushes the ceiling everytime.

Guess which car wins....

kcfu

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

kcfu

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts
I have driven a camry 2.0G manu/reg 08/08 and the ACV30 2.0 05/05. The ACV wins apart from looks and aesthetics. Handling also significantly better around the corners.

Driven at high speeds on 2.4 accord 05/05. not impressed at all by the car except having a better torque both low and high end - probably a 2.4 pulling a 1.5tonner. Ride is low and tends to oversteer.

So when I tested the Sonato NF 2.0, I was already well aware of what the famous 2 marque have to offer.

The theta engine is extremely quiet. Sometimes I do not even know I've switched on the engine in the cabin. The gate shifter for the 2.0 makes up for the traffic lights stand-off. Compression ratio for say a 1.5 tonner at optimum should be around 10. The sonat nf 2.0 is at 10.5, new camry at 11.2 and accord 05 at 10.0.

What is speed without control? If everything is factory fitted, I would prefer the NF as the F suspension is on double wishbone and the R runs on multi link. Has stabiliser bar F and R. Camry give you still the "sampan" feel, ACV of the new camry. Accord - I feel dizzy too. Watch this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBhiB_qH1KY&NR=1 Active Geometry Control System.... this matters to me very much - http://www.autofocus...trol_system.htm

The steering for the new camry have at least 15% of steering freeplay. It gives me the impression of imprecise driving and difficult to gun for an angle. The accord and nf wins here. Even the ACV30 unker car steering is vague.

On cruising speeds of 140-160kmph, most marques have the same NVH. But when it rains, the new camry loses big time as if you're in an attap house with zinc roof!

Cabin space is 2nd to none. If all 3 cars is a fridge and measured by BTU, the NF wins hands down. Back seat comfort new camry has my vote but the spaciousness of the nf is unbeatable. Drivers seat? The NF ergonomics win. With an anti-whiplash head rest, it has my vote. Honda is way to low for a 2 litre car.

The new honda you see on the road reminds me of sonata ef. The 05 accord is much better looking. The NF front in all honesty is better than the accord due to the headlights is simplier. I do not like the Nf nose-drille tho. But if looks could kill, the new camry clearly the winner. Thuis design will stand the test of time even with the new YF coming.

The sound system well.... it's the new camry. The cbu nf deploys lousy paper speakers (tho the best speakers are made of our paper but this one sucks!)

FC!!!! Everone's favourite topic. Any 2.4 is better than a 2.0 when it comes to pulling the same weight. The camry have better FC, i dunno why honestly - comparing a 2.0 camry vs 2.0 nf. Perhaps this is one area koreans need to work on. I do a 7.5km/l on nf and almost a 9km/l on camry (tested on 90% urban traffic). Cannot say much abt 2.4 accord as I do not have the unfortunate task of topping up. Both camry and nf have variable valve timing.. so why the heck does it drink so much?

I was told by the distributors in korea that the NF was permanently parked in Hyundai chairman's office while on R&D stage so that the chairman can mobnitor it's progress and check if it satisfies his requirement. So in effect, the sonata is a giant leap over the EF.

The question stills begs to be answered. Sonata NF, camry or accord?

If money matters
If you are buying 2nd hand, go for Sonata. It's "more car" for your ringgits.
But if your're buying brand new, go for Camry or accord - it' may cost bit more initially but the resale value and the PERCEIVED value is always higher than of a Hankuk car. Besides Hyundai new cars have 2 free service niah. But it warranty you for 300k. But who the heck needs to go back to the ori factory? If you have knowledge about your cars, take it anywhere you fancy. Toyota and Honda is making a killing on servicing alone.

If money does not matter and you do not mind the perceived looks
Go for Sonata NF. Don't bother about the CKD - go for the CBU.
I know. Coz I'm driving one. smile_big.gif
I would have quoted someone smart here and make me look smart but not as much smarter as the smart one I quoted from. I'm smart, yeah!

PuPPy

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:54 PM

PuPPy

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
very good fr smile_thumbup.gif
must test drive and compare with my house 97 2.2l camry and 04 2.0l accord smile_tongue.gif

leongchai

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

leongchai

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
QUOTE (kcfu @ Dec 20 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have driven a camry 2.0G manu/reg 08/08 and the ACV30 2.0 05/05. The ACV wins apart from looks and aesthetics. Handling also significantly better around the corners.

Driven at high speeds on 2.4 accord 05/05. not impressed at all by the car except having a better torque both low and high end - probably a 2.4 pulling a 1.5tonner. Ride is low and tends to oversteer.

So when I tested the Sonato NF 2.0, I was already well aware of what the famous 2 marque have to offer.

The theta engine is extremely quiet. Sometimes I do not even know I've switched on the engine in the cabin. The gate shifter for the 2.0 makes up for the traffic lights stand-off. Compression ratio for say a 1.5 tonner at optimum should be around 10. The sonat nf 2.0 is at 10.5, new camry at 11.2 and accord 05 at 10.0.

What is speed without control? If everything is factory fitted, I would prefer the NF as the F suspension is on double wishbone and the R runs on multi link. Has stabiliser bar F and R. Camry give you still the "sampan" feel, ACV of the new camry. Accord - I feel dizzy too. Watch this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBhiB_qH1KY&NR=1 Active Geometry Control System.... this matters to me very much - http://www.autofocus...trol_system.htm

The steering for the new camry have at least 15% of steering freeplay. It gives me the impression of imprecise driving and difficult to gun for an angle. The accord and nf wins here. Even the ACV30 unker car steering is vague.

On cruising speeds of 140-160kmph, most marques have the same NVH. But when it rains, the new camry loses big time as if you're in an attap house with zinc roof!

Cabin space is 2nd to none. If all 3 cars is a fridge and measured by BTU, the NF wins hands down. Back seat comfort new camry has my vote but the spaciousness of the nf is unbeatable. Drivers seat? The NF ergonomics win. With an anti-whiplash head rest, it has my vote. Honda is way to low for a 2 litre car.

The new honda you see on the road reminds me of sonata ef. The 05 accord is much better looking. The NF front in all honesty is better than the accord due to the headlights is simplier. I do not like the Nf nose-drille tho. But if looks could kill, the new camry clearly the winner. Thuis design will stand the test of time even with the new YF coming.

The sound system well.... it's the new camry. The cbu nf deploys lousy paper speakers (tho the best speakers are made of our paper but this one sucks!)

FC!!!! Everone's favourite topic. Any 2.4 is better than a 2.0 when it comes to pulling the same weight. The camry have better FC, i dunno why honestly - comparing a 2.0 camry vs 2.0 nf. Perhaps this is one area koreans need to work on. I do a 7.5km/l on nf and almost a 9km/l on camry (tested on 90% urban traffic). Cannot say much abt 2.4 accord as I do not have the unfortunate task of topping up. Both camry and nf have variable valve timing.. so why the heck does it drink so much?

I was told by the distributors in korea that the NF was permanently parked in Hyundai chairman's office while on R&D stage so that the chairman can mobnitor it's progress and check if it satisfies his requirement. So in effect, the sonata is a giant leap over the EF.

The question stills begs to be answered. Sonata NF, camry or accord?

If money matters
If you are buying 2nd hand, go for Sonata. It's "more car" for your ringgits.
But if your're buying brand new, go for Camry or accord - it' may cost bit more initially but the resale value and the PERCEIVED value is always higher than of a Hankuk car. Besides Hyundai new cars have 2 free service niah. But it warranty you for 300k. But who the heck needs to go back to the ori factory? If you have knowledge about your cars, take it anywhere you fancy. Toyota and Honda is making a killing on servicing alone.

If money does not matter and you do not mind the perceived looks
Go for Sonata NF. Don't bother about the CKD - go for the CBU.
I know. Coz I'm driving one. smile_big.gif

Bro no more new cbu, all ckd. Only a couple yr 06 for sale in used. Anything that is of lesser built for the ckd ? I am really interested to plonk down some mullah for the sonata. Haven't have much luck looking for reviews/reported problems with this car. Ur input much appreciated. I have test drove the nf few times in few showrooms, 2.4 and 2.0 but can't tell much diff in the built quality. Only concern is tha the the current nf on sale are all 09/08 built by kah bintang. So wait for next yr get better discount ?? smile_thumbup.gif