Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Is Toyota Really That Good?

• Please log in to reply

muscaa

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

muscaa

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
QUOTE (scfun @ Jan 14 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi bro leo, sorry not purposely to divert your discussion. but just curious to check out from you, why the Nissan Sylphy doesn't even come into your mind? i'm not a nissan salesman, but just want to know your reasons to drop that model in your list.

that's the trend of our malaysian car buyers... only choose honda or toyota dry.gif

Justicebao

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

Justicebao

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts
QUOTE (scfun @ Jan 14 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi bro leo, sorry not purposely to divert your discussion. but just curious to check out from you, why the Nissan Sylphy doesn't even come into your mind? i'm not a nissan salesman, but just want to know your reasons to drop that model in your list.

Sylphy is neither Altis's size or Camry's size..Nissan like to play in the middle. But....I have sat on a Slyphy B4 and it is really quiet and comfortable. I can say that it is more comfortable than the latest Altis...rear passengers get the most legroom out of the 3 models...the seat design also very comfy. Good value for your money.....

Between an Altis 1.8, Civic 1.8 and Slyphy 2.0...I will get Slyphy anytime...but a bit skeptical on the CVT GearBox. I stilllllll think that conventional 4AT/5AT GB is more reliable. Heard a lot of bad news from Honda City's CVT GB.

Most people perceive Camry's owner as Taukeh and Accord owner as younger executives. For Slyphy....you are still one class behind Camry/Accord.
Please join the Toyota facebook group --> HERE

Justicebao

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

Justicebao

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts
Why I chose Toyota instead of Honda?....Before I got my SXV10 2.2GX few years back...I was quite tempted to get Accord (SV4) or Peugeot 406 for its look. I actually test driven the Camry and Accord.....and the Accord let me down with rattling sounds, engine sound intruded to cabin even during idling, road noises, cabin size and comfort level. Seat comfort and space in 406 is not as good as Camry.

Then I get myself to test drive the Camry....and placed a booking an hour after that...hehehe....Furthermore, 3 of my friends that own Accord SV4/SM4 are running on their 2nd GB and engine now coz the original one kaput d....But one of them took the opportunity to upgrade the engine to VTEC H22A....good for him....Outrun me kaw kaw on Kesas highway while I was doing max 205kmh!!!

Didn't hear much problem with the SXV10/20 5SFE models. You can read the entire Camry 2.2GX forum for more information.

Please join the Toyota facebook group --> HERE

techie

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

techie

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts
QUOTE (simonlim @ Jan 13 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ure so right man! n i dont agree when people say only uncles drive toyota, because i just turned 21 last month.

Actually "only" should be replace with "most" uncles drive toyota. You are definitely in the minority as the majority of Toyota owners are "uncles" smile.gif

techie

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

techie

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts
QUOTE (khlee23 @ Jan 14 2009, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well said techie.

The choice of your car will clearly indicate which stage of live you are at now and what type of person you are too. Be it conservative or dynamic. There is no right or wrong for each individual choice of car. It is your decision and your own choice. Aslong as you enjoy what you are driving, you should not be bothered with what other say. dry.gif

//KHLee

Exactly, several years ago I wouldn't consider a Toyota but now with a baby on board, reliability and comfort are on my priority list, hence a Toyota. Also I couldn't care less what others say but the debate will always go on between Toyota and other Jap makes but the whole point of this forum is to share opinions and let readers make their choice based on what they're priorities are.

techie

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

techie

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts
Simon, since you're in the minority can you tell us why at age 21 you prefer a Camry rather than a Caldina or Celica or something sportier? dry.gif

Joytoy

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

Joytoy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
QUOTE (techie @ Jan 14 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually "only" should be replace with "most" uncles drive toyota. You are definitely in the minority as the majority of Toyota owners are "uncles" smile.gif

Another amendment. Actually "most" should again be replace with "some" uncles drive toyota.

I got my first camry in my 20's as well. 12 years+ now & counting.

Joytoy

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

Joytoy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
QUOTE (Justicebao @ Jan 14 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But one of them took the opportunity to upgrade the engine to VTEC H22A....good for him....Outrun me kaw kaw on Kesas highway while I was doing max 205kmh!!!

When his car was in the car hospital & operating room, his pocket kena kaw kaw !!!
rolleyes.gif

simonlim

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:40 PM

simonlim

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
QUOTE (techie @ Jan 14 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha, ya. im truly the minority group among all. i just prefer comfort and reliability for a car that i drive. i have already started driving when i was 14 years old. 1st accident when i was 16 years old(no license), hatchback iswara 1.5(A), rear right door gone. 2nd accident when i was 19 years old, waja 1.6(A), front damages, airbag deployed, right centre pillar went inwards, rear right suspension totally smashed and the whole suspension system changed for the rear. 2 rims cracked, windows are still fine though. haha, those are my experiences. after that, i tend to drive with more care and steadiness.

i cant afford to whack the vios or the camry. and i have started to appreciate the comfort level which could be maximised from a jap RM140k car. i have been exposed to cars when i was 12, reading a lot of mags of local car mods for the beginning. slowly, i went to HYPERTUNE n then TOP GEAR(present). this is how i appreciate cars of conti and also jap. not to boast here la, just want to share my interests in cars. anything about a car, from the engine till the boot, i am interested to know. i take care of the cars that my parents own, to the best i can. thats how much i like cars.

having the waja previously was really a headache since day 1. it had major n minor problems during the warranty period of 3 years back then. after whacking it, more problems. but mostly technical lo..

so now, i take good care of the cars n seldom rev it, want to sayang it more haha.
<SiMoN LiM>
Toyota Camry 2.4V ACV30

simonlim

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:03 AM

simonlim

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
QUOTE (techie @ Jan 14 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Simon, since you're in the minority can you tell us why at age 21 you prefer a Camry rather than a Caldina or Celica or something sportier? dry.gif

techie, for those like caldina or celica, i cant afford it. neither do my parents. they are just gov servants. the vios is my mum's lifetime savings. the camry will most probably be my dad's "2nd wife" haha. but both of them wont take care of the cars, they dont even know how to pump in air into deflated tires. hence, such a child like me is born to this family to help them haha.

i dont have my own earning power yet so i couldnt talk much about my dream car. my dream car is beemer m5. but might be impossible to own it in my lifetime loh.. i read so many mags about cars, beginning with local car mods. i have all the mags in my cupboard and still multiplying them every month. car mods made me bored because mostly, they modify almost the same thing, more power, sharp handling and makan minyak loh!!! i felt there is nothing much to be appreciated in these types of mods in boleh land.

just had the interest to learn how to mod a car to get more power and of course lower FC if possible. the only thing i appreciate is car racing as a sport, street racing wth somebody i dont know mkes me feel cheap of myself. why am i wasting fuel just for the fun of it where it might take my life away? sometimes, when im driving the waja, a wira zoomed pass me, i might give a chase, sure win if it's lower cc or no mods. sometimes, a beemer/merc zoomed pass, chase for what?? sure lose la, cant even smell the smoke man... so i wonder what meaning there is to race in the streets. this has led me to appreciating comfort level of a car.

with hypertune mag, i learned about higher level car mods, with more jap n conti cars like brabus, AMG, M(BMW) and also high-powered cars. it has made me boring again, nothing but pure or raw power just to show a particular car is faster. every minute, it's like proving which 1 has the shortest time of 0-100-0km/h. i mean it's real boring, same thing..sigh.

so finally, TOP GEAR which gave me the chance to learn more about an enthusiast's car and what does it mean by a car only for purists. it's like car literature man haha..n i appreciate the design of the car and its engine. learning more about complex GB and suspension system cos those are the main parts to move a car.

and now, i have started to buy mags about car audio mods, ICE. wanna learn more about it to get an idea to improve the camry's ICE haha.

these are some reasons in detailed why i dont have the interest in cars which targeted younger toyota drivers. i only appreciate that toyota has the ability and the manpower to produce such large line-up of cars to suit the world's different buyers. i do like the caldina and celica, but i wont use its power and i dont think i need its design to look smart when i get down the car. so an ACV31 is already more than enough for me, less expectations perhaps. wait until i earn my own money, maybe i will change my mind by then hehe. sorry to be so long-winded.
<SiMoN LiM>
Toyota Camry 2.4V ACV30