Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

2009 Rondo Vs 2008 Rondo

• Please log in to reply

Kevin

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
From very reliable sources, here are the differences between the 2009 and the 2008 Kia Rondo in Malaysia. Firstly, it is confirmed that all Rondos sold in Malaysia are CKD. Units 0001 till 0700 are considered as 1st batch (2008 specs) and units 0701 onwards (till Naza decides to change the specs again) are 2009 specs.

4 units of 2009 specs were manufactured in 2008 but I am unable to confirm if these 4 units are 0697 to 0700 or 0701 to 0704. These 4 units have been sold with the last unit (Tomato Red) on display at the Kia roadshow at Sunway Pyramid this weekend.

No units have been manufactured in 2009 to date.

DELETED ITEMS
  • Driver's foot rest
  • Central locking button on the front passenger door
  • Front passenger seat under-tray
  • Rubber mat lining the tray directly under the cigarette lighter
  • Rear cupholders and ashtray located below the 2nd row air-cond vents
  • 2nd row centre arm rest
  • Covers for side storage compartments above the rear wheel wells (where 3rd row passengers rest their arms)
  • ECU cover

CHANGED ITEMS
  • Front headrest tilting function removed (2009 Rondos will only have front headrests that move up and down)
  • Cigarette lighter no longer lit
  • There are 2 horns on the Rondo, one behind the front bumper and the other somewhere else (not disclosing here as thieves would then know where to find the 2nd horn). This other horn has been relocated to save on wiring.
  • 2nd row bench now a single piece item instead of a 2-piece. 2nd row seat backrests maintain their 60:40 split.
  • On the EXS, the steering wheel audio controls for volume will NOT be illuminated (the 3 buttons for MODE and selection will continue to be lit)
  • On the EXS, the roof rack has been changed to a simpler design similar to Citra I (with no cross bars)
  • 1 rubber seal in the engine bay has been reduced in size
  • Wiring harness for the audio system has been changed
  • Frame holding the 2 DIN head unit has been changed to allow for a 1 DIN aftermarket fitment. There is no indication that a 1 DIN after-market head unit will be offered so I believe that this change was done to make it easier for owners to use 1 DIN head units if they decide to change.
  • Titanium Silver replaces Urban Grey, Tomato Red replaces Volcanic Red, another silver replaces Fine Silver. All new colours appear very similar to existing colours.

Note that another forumer has noted that the covers for the side compartments in the boot have been deleted but this information was not mentioned in the materials I was privy to. Whether this means there are other changes that are not on my list, I do not know. I do not think there are any other "under the skin" changes as some of the changes mentioned above are not visible changes but they have been mentioned in the materials. Therefore, I am fairly certain there are no other cost-cutting changes on the Rondo that have not been listed above.

Prices to be maintained but there is already a warning in B&W from HQ to sales outlets to push for as many sales of the 2009 models while the price is "still low". There is a mention of an "impending price increase" in the document that I read. No mention of quantum or time frame.

PROPOSED CHANGES THAT NEVER MADE IT TO THE FINAL 2009 RONDO
  • Leather steering wheel
  • Half-leather gearshift knob
  • Reduction of PVC/leather trim on the doors (current owners will note that the dotted trim on the doors extends all the way down - the proposal would have halved the amount of trim on the door)
  • Lighter interior fabric and trim (should be beige)
  • 3rd-row seats to be non-split (currently split 50:50)
  • Removal of the cut-out in the rear boot floor cover (the hole which allows for your fingers to go in to lift up the boot floor cover)
  • Flip-type covers for vanity mirrors to be replaced with sliding covers (no mention of deleting the illumination)
  • Removal of rubber lips in the front cup holders (those in between the driver and passenger) and to replace it with a removable cup holder that slots in the hole

What do I think? I think those who have bought the first batch of Rondos are very lucky to have the higher-spec car. It is very odd for Naza to make so many changes only 4 months after launch and I can only offer 3 reasons:
  • Proton is pressuring Naza to lower the specs so that the upcoming Proton MPV will not be shamed
  • Naza is not making much from the selling the higher-spec Rondo so had to find ways to cut cost
  • Kia worldwide is specifying this new specification level and Naza is following it (possible since 2009 Rondos sold worldwide have the new roof rack as well)

redwin

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

redwin

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
Back fr Sunway Pyramid..luckily 4 yr old son notice rondo fr far...so singgah la...

I notice the above changes...the 2nd row seat really noticable...kalau ada anak, or nak baringkan 2nd row seat, so bole baring2, u can pull fwd the seat so that the other tak terpull sekali or tak nak baring...tp kalau u smbgkan both seat, 2nd seat drive have to baring sekali...dis advantageous kalo ada anak...yg lain tak perasan sgt...other thing...passager central lock...

luckiest driver UNDER 700...
erm...

trooompah

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

trooompah

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Huhu...good finding by Kevin. So, Kevin is SIFU in the making in our Rondo world...Maybe he will be The President in our upcoming club... tongue.gif

By the way...Im lucikly got the Highline spec.For the potential buyer, even its a 2009 spec, go for it.The smoothness, comfortable, spacious will make u forget the rest... wink.gif

Kevin

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (trooompah @ Jan 11 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Huhu...good finding by Kevin. So, Kevin is SIFU in the making in our Rondo world...Maybe he will be The President in our upcoming club... tongue.gif

By the way...Im lucikly got the Highline spec.For the potential buyer, even its a 2009 spec, go for it.The smoothness, comfortable, spacious will make u forget the rest... wink.gif

Er, thanks but I'll pass on the Presidency. Ordinary member can as I have been through too many clubs and they all end up pretty much the same way, i.e. 2 or more opposing camps!!! I don't mind starting a facebook group or page though laugh.gif

Yes, the 2009 Rondo is still a good buy and most of the deleted items won't be missed unless you are familiar with the 2008 Rondo. All other competitors do not have most of the deletions anyway.

I am currently finalising my research on how to increase my cargo carrying capacity of the Rondo wink.gif

Kevin

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
A little bird told me today that if you book a Rondo today, you will have to pay a revised price. RM2k increase for both models.

ndray

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

ndray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I've been reading a lot of these reviews especially for the Citra rondo model. I'm planning to buy rondo soon and I don't really know hw is the service centre and parts in KK, Sabah area. Anybody has an idea?
So far, any issue for this model?

Kevin

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
So far no issues from my end.

mhfahmi

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

mhfahmi

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
No issues on my rondo so far..driving has been great biggrin.gif

milkcan

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

milkcan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Same here. My Rondo performs flawlessly. I'm only annoyed by the noisy standard tyres NCT5, the sissy horn and the irritating signal relay, which in my opinion is a notch too loud. Serial is XXXXXXX5XX.
Milkcan

haroldz

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:31 AM

haroldz

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
QUOTE (ndray @ Jan 24 2009, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I've been reading a lot of these reviews especially for the Citra rondo model. I'm planning to buy rondo soon and I don't really know hw is the service centre and parts in KK, Sabah area. Anybody has an idea?
So far, any issue for this model?

i think it difficult to get KIA motors parts in east msian.
im from miri but so far i hasnt order any parts.

u have to survey/ visit kia show room in kk

bole bah kalau kau! tongue.gif