Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Volvo Dying

• Please log in to reply

andrewlim8

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

andrewlim8

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts
QUOTE (fadli15 @ Apr 3 2009, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys,

This forum is becoming funnier actually. I cannot help myself but laughing at some of the comments.... hehehe....

Mr Jay, I think you are missing one major point here. You are definetely not comparing apple with apple here. Your comparison is strictly based on PRICE, and none mentioning about the quality etc. except being a C-Class cars and Conti.

Have to remember that some of these cars are CBU and some CKD. BMW is defintely once class higher than a Volvo, both are CKD. Quality wise I think about the same, but the status and driving feel are totally different. Again when u compare Volvo and Pug..... hellloooo..... before Naza brought in the 407, it was CBU all the way from France. That easily adds RM30-50K for shipping, extra import duty (300% okay, and not +- 100% for CKD). Not to mention the margins made by shipping/custom agents along the way + more expensive shipping insurance.

If you want to compare another Conti like Fiat import from Italy, and bring a Volvo import from Ghent - then you can see the true value of these cars.

I driven a number of Japs and Conti cars before. Even in Europe, Volvo is not to be compared with A Pug or A Fiat. Try rent these cars in Sweden itself and see which one is more expensive than the other (mind u Volvo in Sweden especially in Gotenburg area, is like Wira here, everybody has it).

Mr Jay, go out and rent all these cars for a few days each and see for yourself what we meant. Don't just judge these cars by the prices alone. Its very misleading.

Good comments ! smile_thumbup.gif

jayraptor

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (fadli15 @ Apr 3 2009, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys,

This forum is becoming funnier actually. I cannot help myself but laughing at some of the comments.... hehehe....

Mr Jay, I think you are missing one major point here. You are definetely not comparing apple with apple here. Your comparison is strictly based on PRICE, and none mentioning about the quality etc. except being a C-Class cars and Conti.

Have to remember that some of these cars are CBU and some CKD. BMW is defintely once class higher than a Volvo, both are CKD. Quality wise I think about the same, but the status and driving feel are totally different. Again when u compare Volvo and Pug..... hellloooo..... before Naza brought in the 407, it was CBU all the way from France. That easily adds RM30-50K for shipping, extra import duty (300% okay, and not +- 100% for CKD). Not to mention the margins made by shipping/custom agents along the way + more expensive shipping insurance.

If you want to compare another Conti like Fiat import from Italy, and bring a Volvo import from Ghent - then you can see the true value of these cars.

I driven a number of Japs and Conti cars before. Even in Europe, Volvo is not to be compared with A Pug or A Fiat. Try rent these cars in Sweden itself and see which one is more expensive than the other (mind u Volvo in Sweden especially in Gotenburg area, is like Wira here, everybody has it).

Mr Jay, go out and rent all these cars for a few days each and see for yourself what we meant. Don't just judge these cars by the prices alone. Its very misleading.

Hi guys,

Have tested Citroen and Pug but never tried Volvo S80 onwards since 1999. So, any of u know where can I rent current Volvo S40, S60 or S80? Avis Rent A Car or Federal Auto? If u say go test drive at Federal Auto, better not, can't afford as it's way too expensive, already entering luxury segment. Other conti such as Pug is ok.

I don't think Volvo should be priced way that much higher than other equivalent conti. 1 level below BMW and Merc should be priced sub RM200k unless it's a large sedan having big engine such as S80 T6. Build quality for interior and exterior aren't much different from Citroen, Pug, Fiat, Alfa, etc though, just almost the same.