Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Engine Overheating

• Please log in to reply

weslee

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

weslee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
QUOTE (kolejeon @ Jul 14 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just want to update that i managed to solve this problem. The problem is not cause by improper breathing, faulty temp gauge or coolant, but the main culprit is the "fan motor". The mechanic told me that eventhough the fan is working, the fan speed has deteriorated after several years, which resulted to engine overheating during traffic jam. For your info, this is common problem in most of the Gen 2 and i noticed someone has opened similar topic for discussion in motor trader forum.

So they changed the original APM fan motor and the speed rotation is very much different compared to the old motor. Problem solved.

ah...that's pretty hard to detect by naked eyes. Anyway good to know it solved.

compacto8

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

compacto8

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
why don't you try to check the Fan relay fuse....it's those small squarish back box located in the front fuse box located in the engine compartment...it maybe that...malfunction of this fuse will caused the fan not working...

by the way, i have 1 question for you guys...WHAT IS THE NORMAL ENGINE OPERATING TEMPERATURE FOR GEN 2 AND WHAT IS THE READING WILL BE ON THE METER PANEL TEMPERATURE INDICATOR? ABOVE 90 DEGREES IS IT?

weslee

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:10 PM

weslee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
QUOTE (compacto8 @ Aug 20 2009, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why don't you try to check the Fan relay fuse....it's those small squarish back box located in the front fuse box located in the engine compartment...it maybe that...malfunction of this fuse will caused the fan not working...

by the way, i have 1 question for you guys...WHAT IS THE NORMAL ENGINE OPERATING TEMPERATURE FOR GEN 2 AND WHAT IS THE READING WILL BE ON THE METER PANEL TEMPERATURE INDICATOR? ABOVE 90 DEGREES IS IT?

If my memory serve me well should be 90+.

GIGATA

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

GIGATA

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
QUOTE (compacto8 @ Aug 20 2009, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm... my ride's panel always show roughly 80°C (just right in between 70 and 90°C) <--- coolant temperature?

carlover88

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:49 PM

carlover88

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
QUOTE (kolejeon @ Dec 30 2008, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi!

I'm driving 2005 gen2 MT. Having serious problem recently with my ride. I was trapped in traffic jam at noon and noticed the engine temperature overheat until reached the red zone. I have to stop before continue my driving. It happened many times during traffic jam and back to normal temperature during normal speed. I regularly service my car at every 5K km and changed the radiator coolant at every 20K km as advised in the service manual. Current mileage already reached 109,000 KM. Appreciate advice before send the car for repair. Thanks guys.

I has this problem too but due to radiator and thermostat problem.
I remove the thermostat and send the radiator for cleaning that solve my overheating problem.

zendengoh

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

zendengoh

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 785 posts
QUOTE (carlover88 @ Aug 24 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remove the thermostat and send the radiator for cleaning that solve my overheating problem.

its not recommended to remove thermostat.
Googleâ„¢ search Zhapalang

zz9797

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

zz9797

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
I kena overheating problem. Major one last month. My Gen-2 is already 70,000 km.

When cruising temp ok. when jammed, temp went up.

Fan problem. The fan sometimes stop, then move again. fan motor coil no good.

When temp went up, i knock2 the motor and fan moved again. Mechanic advised me this.

When reached KL, i replaced the fan. All is well now.

Pls also remember that eventho fan moving, the fan speed is also important. Some old gen2, the fan speed not that fast.

btw, When my temp went high until red line, the engine didnt stop.

Cheers!

Zorro

fkmfkm

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (carlover88 @ Aug 24 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

your fc will suffer and in long time will damage engine...

kokoko

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:35 AM

kokoko

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
QUOTE (kolejeon @ Jul 14 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just want to update that i managed to solve this problem. The problem is not cause by improper breathing, faulty temp gauge or coolant, but the main culprit is the "fan motor". The mechanic told me that eventhough the fan is working, the fan speed has deteriorated after several years, which resulted to engine overheating during traffic jam. For your info, this is common problem in most of the Gen 2 and i noticed someone has opened similar topic for discussion in motor trader forum.

So they changed the original APM fan motor and the speed rotation is very much different compared to the old motor. Problem solved.

Mr Kolejeon, is it your problem really solved, since your posting 4 months ago. I just faced the same problem recently, and I replaced hose, thermostat, fan switch, air cond filter, servicing air cond, and the problem still not solved. My mechanic said that everything is fine and they also puzzle about this problem.

Hope you can share your experience about it

Hammercar

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

Hammercar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
if ur fan is running, and ur mileage is high...have you change your water pump on ur last timing belt change?

culprit may be your water pump. change to a Japan one......