Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Engine Overheating

• Please log in to reply

kolejeon

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

kolejeon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I'm not sure the coolant type but i'm sure it's not proton recommended.

I normally dont wait until the temperature really hit the red zone to stop the car, scared the piston head will damage. But it has reached the 4th level on temperature gauge. I can feel the aircond no longer cold and It was so irritating because i hv to stop the car everytime the engine overheat during heavy traffic jam. There are many possibilities here. How come the water pump malfunction so quickly? The car is just 3 years old. I guess the car might be sulking bacause I'm thinking of trade in the car for a new CITY.

weslee

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

weslee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
QUOTE (kolejeon @ Jan 1 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure the coolant type but i'm sure it's not proton recommended.

I normally dont wait until the temperature really hit the red zone to stop the car, scared the piston head will damage. But it has reached the 4th level on temperature gauge. I can feel the aircond no longer cold and It was so irritating because i hv to stop the car everytime the engine overheat during heavy traffic jam. There are many possibilities here. How come the water pump malfunction so quickly? The car is just 3 years old. I guess the car might be sulking bacause I'm thinking of trade in the car for a new CITY.

This type of problem sometimes proton service able to solve it. But usually those simple simple problem proton service center unable to solve it laugh.gif

kingglim

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

kingglim

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
Coolant ok, fan ok... if still overheat, i m afraid it is yor engine coolant/water pump in trouble

Nabworld

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

Nabworld

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
well , there no rule saying jus bcos ur car is only 3years old thn it shouldnt overheat.....this problem is not exclusive to ur car only....overheating is a common ting in cars...regardless of brand or make.....

go get it fixed asap as it will hurt ur engine in the long term....worst case scenario is the water pump...not that expensive...below 200...get is fixed...u never know...it could even be a faulty temp gauge !

kolejeon

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

kolejeon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Thanks guys..really appreciate your advices.

That means i have to ask the mechanic to look after the water pump as well. this will definitely hurt my pocket. last year no bonus.. car problem .. luckily dont have kid registering for school yet .. sad.gif

chrisauto

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

chrisauto

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
Before doing that make sure ur radiator have no more bubbles in the coolant mixture. U can do this by opening the radiator cap, on ur engine and see if there are bubbles surfacing. If yes, then let it idle and continue pouring water into radiator hole. Make sure there no bubbles before recapping. Then check your temperature. Some mechanics still do not know how to deal with this problem, even Proton themselves.

If all this fails to rectify the problem, then do the suggestions above. Sometimes problems which are simple to rectify end up costing us a bundle coz we go seek the wrong people to do the job;)
DARTH CRIMSON

fkmfkm

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
it does not matter if its not a proton coolant..as long as its a good coolant.

A lot of outside shops use those cheapo coolant.. infact its just water color...so its not doing its proper job...

weslee

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

weslee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
QUOTE (fkmfkm @ Jan 2 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it does not matter if its not a proton coolant..as long as its a good coolant.

A lot of outside shops use those cheapo coolant.. infact its just water color...so its not doing its proper job...

i'm using redline water wetter, I heard toyota coolant is pretty good as well.

chrisauto

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

chrisauto

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
Wats wrong wit Proton's coolant? Get it from PPC (Proton Parts Centre) in Glenmarie. Cheaper than outside. U may wanna scout out other parts too while u r there. wink.gif
DARTH CRIMSON

kolejeon

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

kolejeon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
QUOTE (chrisauto @ Jan 4 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wats wrong wit Proton's coolant? Get it from PPC (Proton Parts Centre) in Glenmarie. Cheaper than outside. U may wanna scout out other parts too while u r there. wink.gif

Just want to update that i managed to solve this problem. The problem is not cause by improper breathing, faulty temp gauge or coolant, but the main culprit is the "fan motor". The mechanic told me that eventhough the fan is working, the fan speed has deteriorated after several years, which resulted to engine overheating during traffic jam. For your info, this is common problem in most of the Gen 2 and i noticed someone has opened similar topic for discussion in motor trader forum.

So they changed the original APM fan motor and the speed rotation is very much different compared to the old motor. Problem solved.