Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Engine Overheating

• Please log in to reply

kolejeon

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:20 PM

kolejeon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hi!

I'm driving 2005 gen2 MT. Having serious problem recently with my ride. I was trapped in traffic jam at noon and noticed the engine temperature overheat until reached the red zone. I have to stop before continue my driving. It happened many times during traffic jam and back to normal temperature during normal speed. I regularly service my car at every 5K km and changed the radiator coolant at every 20K km as advised in the service manual. Current mileage already reached 109,000 KM. Appreciate advice before send the car for repair. Thanks guys.

kingglim

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:58 AM

kingglim

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
QUOTE (kolejeon @ Dec 30 2008, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi!

I'm driving 2005 gen2 MT. Having serious problem recently with my ride. I was trapped in traffic jam at noon and noticed the engine temperature overheat until reached the red zone. I have to stop before continue my driving. It happened many times during traffic jam and back to normal temperature during normal speed. I regularly service my car at every 5K km and changed the radiator coolant at every 20K km as advised in the service manual. Current mileage already reached 109,000 KM. Appreciate advice before send the car for repair. Thanks guys.

kolejeon, if coolant level is ok, then i think it is your radiator fan not working... with no fan cooling, engine temp go up when car not moving and no wind coming to the front. You can test it by, start the engine, leave it and let the engine temp go up, normally if the engine temp go higher than 50% of gauge, the fan will run... if the fan still not run, confirm the fan not working already. next, check and make sure the wire connected to the fan motor are connected properly... if wire connection is ok, then likely the motor or the automatic temperature switch fails already.

weslee

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:03 AM

weslee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
QUOTE (kolejeon @ Dec 30 2008, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi!

check your thermostat and fan.

kolejeon

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

kolejeon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Thanks Kingglim and Weslee, really appreciate your advice.

However, I noticed the radiator fan is still running eventhough i had switched off the engine during high temperature. It keep on spinning for 10 minutes during engine off. So I could assume the radiator fan is still working properly right?

The engine temperature back to normal and the fan stopped automatically after I restart the engine for several minutes before continue my driving. If the fan is not the culprit, what else?

weslee

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:22 AM

weslee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
QUOTE (kolejeon @ Dec 31 2008, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Kingglim and Weslee, really appreciate your advice.

However, I noticed the radiator fan is still running eventhough i had switched off the engine during high temperature. It keep on spinning for 10 minutes during engine off. So I could assume the radiator fan is still working properly right?

The engine temperature back to normal and the fan stopped automatically after I restart the engine for several minutes before continue my driving. If the fan is not the culprit, what else?

that looks like your fan is running fine, only the temp is higher. Double confirm your thermostat, if necessary flush your current coolant and fill up with 100% Proton coolant (no water added). Other then that, check your engine oil level. Btw, where you changed yur coolant? I worry those mechanic did not do breathing for your radiator or the breathing period is not enough to remove all the trapped air.

fkmfkm

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
radiator sumbat ?

weslee

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:36 AM

weslee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
i think not so fast sumbat, since Gen2 are quite new car. Probably the breathing during changing coolant.

kolejeon

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

kolejeon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I changed the coolant at ordinary workshop and stopped servicing the car at EON after mileage reached 50K km, since the labor charge is too high. I saw them do the breathing to eliminate bubble but I'm not sure whether it is sufficient and I dont think they are using Proton recommended coolant. I thought there is no impact since it is just a coolant. I'll change to Proton coolant and ask them to do proper breathing as well. Hope can solve this problem. Thanks weslee. Will update later on the progress.

fkmfkm

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (kolejeon @ Jan 1 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I changed the coolant at ordinary workshop and stopped servicing the car at EON after mileage reached 50K km, since the labor charge is too high. I saw them do the breathing to eliminate bubble but I'm not sure whether it is sufficient and I dont think they are using Proton recommended coolant. I thought there is no impact since it is just a coolant. I'll change to Proton coolant and ask them to do proper breathing as well. Hope can solve this problem. Thanks weslee. Will update later on the progress.

what coolant do they use there ?

Nabworld

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

Nabworld

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
i always tot if temp reaches a certain level , the engine will automatically shutoff ???

could be a blown gasket , lots of air buble in ur hoses , or broken water pump fins...if i bet...i wd go for water pump maulfunction