Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Will The New Proton Waja 2010 Look Something Like This?

• Please log in to reply

ryder

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
Although economy is getting real bad, surprisingly the Waja CPS is still selling quite good, and both the new Honda City and Accord selling like hot cakes.

I think Proton will restrict the Waja's engine to 1.6-litre as upgrading it to 1.8 or 2.0-litre will render the price not competitive anymore. The price of the Waja needs to stay in the region of RM65k or less in order to be competitive as once it encroaches into the RM70k region, more people will opt for City or Vios. We already have the Perdana in the 2.0-litre category, and if the Waja takes the platform of the Mitsubishi Lancer, i have no idea how the new Perdana will look like. The Perdana is in a more serious situation needing a complete facelift since the model is close to 14 years old(or has exceeded that?).

Current Waja CPS is good quality compared to 4g18 since it not only has better NVH and build quality but extra added features which include ABS, air-bags and cruise control. Only leather seat a bit hard.

SplitFire

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
QUOTE (ryder @ Mar 8 2009, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although economy is getting real bad, surprisingly the Waja CPS is still selling quite good, and both the new Honda City and Accord selling like hot cakes.

I think Proton will restrict the Waja's engine to 1.6-litre as upgrading it to 1.8 or 2.0-litre will render the price not competitive anymore. The price of the Waja needs to stay in the region of RM65k or less in order to be competitive as once it encroaches into the RM70k region, more people will opt for City or Vios. We already have the Perdana in the 2.0-litre category, and if the Waja takes the platform of the Mitsubishi Lancer, i have no idea how the new Perdana will look like. The Perdana is in a more serious situation needing a complete facelift since the model is close to 14 years old(or has exceeded that?).

Current Waja CPS is good quality compared to 4g18 since it not only has better NVH and build quality but extra added features which include ABS, air-bags and cruise control. Only leather seat a bit hard.

There'll be most likely won't be any more new Perdana, because Proton has place the New Waja as Perdana replacement model as well. So there might be a 2.0L model.

Check out the links.
http://autoindustrie...el-by-2010.html
http://paultan.org/f...ic=813.msg16306

Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

ryder

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:05 AM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
If they discontinue the Perdana(or the Waja) and replace with one new model based on the Mitsubishi Lancer's platform with a 2.0-litre engine, that will screw up everything since the price of the car would be in the region of RM100k. They should just scrap the Perdana model and replace the Waja with a new model. For RM100k most folks will go for Japanese vehicles. Proton should just stick to bread and butter models.

SplitFire

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
QUOTE (ryder @ Mar 9 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they discontinue the Perdana(or the Waja) and replace with one new model based on the Mitsubishi Lancer's platform with a 2.0-litre engine, that will screw up everything since the price of the car would be in the region of RM100k. They should just scrap the Perdana model and replace the Waja with a new model. For RM100k most folks will go for Japanese vehicles. Proton should just stick to bread and butter models.

That's exactly why they're planning to fit in the replacement model for both into sub RM80K region. Well, why not? Maybe it'll be a brand new model call Wadana or Perja? smile_big.gif
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

ryder

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
If the replacement car is in the region of RM80k, bye bye Proton, hello Honda City.

They should just scrap the Gen2 model and introduce the new Waja at the current selling price.

SplitFire

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
QUOTE (ryder @ Mar 9 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the replacement car is in the region of RM80k, bye bye Proton, hello Honda City.

They should just scrap the Gen2 model and introduce the new Waja at the current selling price.

Why Honda City? Thailand's workmanship better? blink.gif
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

ryder

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
Of course, anytime better than a Proton. A Japanese VTEC or VVTi engine is already a plus point in comparison to the Campro CPS. Proton can survive because most of the vehicles are bread and butter type that cater for lower to middle-income group of wage earners with their low price. If priced almost similar to Japanese makes nobody would choose a Proton.

Anyway I suspect Proton will launch the replacement Waja in 1.6-litre versions as doing a 1.8 or 2.0 litre-versions will jeopardize their sales and position in the market. You have to always remember that most people only buy Proton vehicles because they are forced to do so since the cars are the cheapest as all other makes are subjected to high taxes to protect the interest of the national carmaker.

Gunnerzz

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
QUOTE (SplitFire @ Mar 9 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why Honda City? Thailand's workmanship better? blink.gif

i thought thai only excell in womenship,their workmanship is oso better?
all i know is Indon's toyota workmanship is worse than early batch waja.

SplitFire

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
QUOTE (ryder @ Mar 9 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course, anytime better than a Proton. A Japanese VTEC or VVTi engine is already a plus point in comparison to the Campro CPS. Proton can survive because most of the vehicles are bread and butter type that cater for lower to middle-income group of wage earners with their low price. If priced almost similar to Japanese makes nobody would choose a Proton.

Anyway I suspect Proton will launch the replacement Waja in 1.6-litre versions as doing a 1.8 or 2.0 litre-versions will jeopardize their sales and position in the market. You have to always remember that most people only buy Proton vehicles because they are forced to do so since the cars are the cheapest as all other makes are subjected to high taxes to protect the interest of the national carmaker.

I'm not 'forced' to drive a Waja. Gunnerzz bro, are you? smile_big.gif
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

kohf1drive

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

kohf1drive

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts
QUOTE (SplitFire @ Mar 9 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not 'forced' to drive a Waja. Gunnerzz bro, are you? smile_big.gif