Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Will The New Proton Waja 2010 Look Something Like This?

• Please log in to reply

ryder

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:15 AM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
Yes, for speedsters the Mitsubishi 4g18 engine may not be too appropriate due to loud noise at high speed levels but for normal everyday driving with the rpm below 3,200 the pickup and performance are decent with a refined drive. I don't know about the CPS engine but if it's tuned to be refined at high-end torque levels then I suspect it wouldn't exhibit that trait at low-end torque. Throughout my 7+ years driving the Waja with the 4g18 engine, it had never given me any problem but a refined and fuss-free drive at normal driving conditions. Only other quality problems like power window failures give me a headache, other than that the Waja is a pretty decent car.

Regarding unrefined performance and loud noise at high speed levels, how often do folks go above 4,000rpm? At 110km/h it's about 2,950rpm.

Bottomline, if given a choice I would take a Japanese-made engine over a Malaysian-made engine anyday and anytime.

ryder

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:29 AM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
QUOTE (SplitFire @ Jan 4 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can accept the CPS lah... Very powerful compare to 4G18 wor. .... unsure.gif

I presume you have tested the Waja CPS based on your comment above. May I know in what sense the CPS engine is more powerful than the 4G18 engine? In low-end torque or high-end torque, or both? Did you judge based on manual or auto transmission? I have read the high-end torque of the CPS engine is superior to the 4G18 but from the torque graphs there isn't any significant difference in low-end torque between the CPS and 4G18 engine.

odi862

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:21 AM

odi862

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi all...this is just my personal opinion in comparison between CPS and 4G18. I own a CPS and sometimes drive my brother's 4G18.

For normal driving (below 3k RPM), the 4G18 is slightly better than CPS. The power 4G18 deliver is smoother. When driving above 4k RPM, CPS is a little better.......

I am quite satisfy with the CPS.........the FC for both is quite the same....but the CPS offers more internal gadgets such as the auto cruise and adjustable headlights.
Rajulan Raamiyan

alldisc

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
4G18 is a SOHC and undersquare engine, if not mistaken. the peak torque comes at super low engine speed. therefore, its more relaxing and drivable without the need to change gear often.

IMHO, if waja mkII uses mitsu body and powerplant, we could not expect the pricing to be as before. maybe 70-80K due the hefty royaltis proton required to pay to MMC. unless, if MMC use proton body and engine also (gen2/persona/saga/savvy/sneo/mpv) then there are chances that the royalties pay to either side are low.

hence, attractive prices

ryder

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
Any insider news how the replacement models for Perdana and Waja CPS will look like? Since Proton has announced it will join venture with MMC, which platform will the Proton Waja adopt for its new look? The Mitsubishi Fortis or Lancer? Will the new Waja use the same CPS engine or a Mitsubishi engine?

I need to know since it's about time to say goodbye to my 7+ years 1st generation Waja. I guess there must be some developments in the Proton team right now and hope that some news have leaked out to the media.

Any inputs appreciated.

miaaiman

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

miaaiman

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
Spoke with Proton mgmt, will be based on the current Mitsubishi Lancer...... Pesona uplift will also be next year.

ryder

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
Miaaiman,

Are you saying the new Proton Waja will look exactly similar to current generation of Mitsubishi Lancer that we have right now? Any idea if the engine will be by Mitsubishi as well or the CPS? Lastly, when is the expected launch date? Thanks in advance.

miaaiman

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

miaaiman

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
Engine will definitely campro cps 1.6 (thats the only that they have) unless they wanted to increase the chooice with the turbo engine that they are preparing for Exora (later launch after the auto launch).

Platform and DNA will definitely be the lancer with changes here and there so that it won't be mistaken as lancer.

Launch date is still sketchy, mid of 2010 but with the curent economy and vendor stretching for fund for new projects like this, launch date may be delayed further.

ryder

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
OK thanks. If engine is CPS then that decreases the chances I'll end up with the new Waja.

SplitFire

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,879 posts
QUOTE (ntc2000 @ Jan 6 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
u try before meh?? I never try on CPS ler... one day must try..

Ur 4G18 better or CPS better?

My 4G18 is manual. Always powerful enough for my standard of spring. The CPS I drove was an auto. I'm just surprise that its very much more powerful than my brother's Neo CamTakPro uuto. Overall built quality also very much better than my 2002 4g18 and my brother's 2006 Neo. Better NVH, smoother engine, effortless drive.

So I've being delaying my new purchase of Lancer GT till this new waja come out. If same platform with the GT then why should I spend a couple of ten thousand more? Actually I'm also hoping the GT price to drop till that time. Economic is bad. I'm very very cash cautious nowadays. smile_tongue.gif

One thing, if they keep the ori Mit 1.8L CVT will be even better. How about the 2.0 V6 CPS people are talking about in paultan.org? Ain't it even more interesting? smile_tongue.gif
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire