Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

New Honda City

• Please log in to reply

TheGunner

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:46 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (H2O @ Dec 20 2008, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wei ..u mean M'sian dont know how to use adv transmission .... no lar .. is it b'cos weather here ...wet & hot ... anywhere ..steering paddle shift only available RM89K version ...[sad.gif]

H2O, a user like you, who browses car forums and read car mags on regular basis, would undoubtedly have a reasonable degree of familiarity with more different transmission designs like the SMGs, AMTs, CVTs and how to drive them.

However, there are also many others who don't possess the kind of product knowledge that you and I do. Not belittling their intelligence, but it's simply a lack of awareness. For example, I am reasonably confident of my ability to properly drive and handle a car equipped with an AMT, but when it comes to some other thing, say my simple Nokia phone, there are a good few features in there that I probably don't even know exist.

Back in the 70s & 80s, we can probably use the weather as an excuse for certain premature wearing of parts in cars (esp Conti models), but nowadays, with car manufacturers subjecting their cars to tests under weather conditions more extreme than others, I'd be very concerned with the credibility of a carmaker who dares to quote the 'weather' as the cause for failures in their cars.

Honestly, I think the novelty of the paddle shifters will wear off once you've driven the car long enough. When I first tested cars, especially when it came to all the BMW Steptronic autos, I was always excited to drive semi-auto cars, and I always drove them in manual mode, but after a while, it was all the same. However, in the case of the City, the cheaper version, you don't get the option of manually selecting the fourth gear, and that would make the paddle shifters an option worth considering. Overall, an RM5k premium isn't a lot, although, the cheaper Grade E spec is also reasonably well equipped.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

ARSENAL04

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

ARSENAL04

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
bro gunner,

what do you think of the design?
The heart wants what the heart wants!!!

headstrong

Magna

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

Magna

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 803 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Dec 21 2008, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, I think the novelty of the paddle shifters will wear off once you've driven the car long enough. When I first tested cars, especially when it came to all the BMW Steptronic autos, I was always excited to drive semi-auto cars, and I always drove them in manual mode, but after a while, it was all the same. However, in the case of the City, the cheaper version, you don't get the option of manually selecting the fourth gear, and that would make the paddle shifters an option worth considering.

Actually there is a big differences between those pseudo semi auto like BMW steptronics, CVT, or whatever shiftronic that are using either slushbox or rubberband in between, compare to DSG or AMT which are clutch based. I believe the new Jazz in UK using I shift is also clutch based.

Wheather its a single or dual clutch design, the clutch based tranny be it full manual or semi auto ie DSG/AMT/etc are a lot more engaging even after months of year of using. Ask those Alfa 156, VW G GTI, Savvy, Smart user etc, they will go for the manual mode.

The engine braking provided by the clutch engagement is so different and more joyful to flick vs the pseudo ATF slushboxtronic.

And clutch based tranny will give a more direct connection between the flywheel and the road and you will appreciate it a lot more on the twisty hill both up and down direction..

TheGunner

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (ARSENAL04 @ Dec 21 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bro gunner,

what do you think of the design?

Well, I think it's definitely a better styled car than its predecessor. The rear end looks likely awkward from certain angles, but otherwise it's a well-proportioned car.

The interior isn't too bad either, but has lost out on a little practicality compared to the previous City, with the removal of the Ultra-Seats
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

TheGunner

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:31 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (Magna @ Dec 21 2008, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually there is a big differences between those pseudo semi auto like BMW steptronics, CVT, or whatever shiftronic that are using either slushbox or rubberband in between, compare to DSG or AMT which are clutch based. I believe the new Jazz in UK using I shift is also clutch based.

Yup, in Europe, the Jazz, and eventually the City, when it arrives, can be specified with a 5M/T or the 6-speed i-SHIFT automated manual transmission.

QUOTE (Magna @ Dec 21 2008, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wheather its a single or dual clutch design, the clutch based tranny be it full manual or semi auto ie DSG/AMT/etc are a lot more engaging even after months of year of using. Ask those Alfa 156, VW G GTI, Savvy, Smart user etc, they will go for the manual mode.

The engine braking provided by the clutch engagement is so different and more joyful to flick vs the pseudo ATF slushboxtronic.

And clutch based tranny will give a more direct connection between the flywheel and the road and you will appreciate it a lot more on the twisty hill both up and down direction..

Yup, I agree absolutely. What I meant was that for those torque converter type transmissions the novelty of the manual shifting thing would wear out after a while. I believe the same would go with the old City's 7 virtual ratios in its CVT.

I've test driven the Savvy AMT and also the Alfa 156 Selespeed, and I agree that those cars need to be driven with the transmission in manual mode. The Savvy AMT wasn't especially smooth when in auto mode. When driving the 156 Selespeed, there's also a bit of throttle modulation involved when shifting gears to achieve smooth changes - getting that right is very satisfying.

The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

Magna

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:19 PM

Magna

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 803 posts
while we may deviate a tad on AT shifter for slush box, u are absolutely
correct.. its really a novelty on slush box. so new City owner should be happy with the 5at but the shifter should be spend on something else. perhaps a better center fascia.??
on amt savvy or 156 its normal to jerk a bit on auto because the car trying to figure out when to depress the clutch to prevent stalling especially on slow traffic. the 156 mkii is much better on throttle modulation. my forfour amt mapping pretty good on aggressive downshifting..it blip throttle very well..

mroctopus

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:57 AM

mroctopus

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 590 posts
with it's 1.5/120hp engine with 5 AT transmission gearbox.. this City is a killer to vios, for sure.

kevin62

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:41 AM

kevin62

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
QUOTE (mroctopus @ Dec 22 2008, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
with it's 1.5/120hp engine with 5 AT transmission gearbox.. this City is a killer to vios, for sure.

Its 120PS = 118bhp.
Went to showroom yesterday, the salesman said didnt fill up so cant test drive.. Very disappointed showroom..
BIG KEV

TheGunner

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (Magna @ Dec 21 2008, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
while we may deviate a tad on AT shifter for slush box, u are absolutely
correct.. its really a novelty on slush box. so new City owner should be happy with the 5at but the shifter should be spend on something else. perhaps a better center fascia.??

I think the center fascia is fine as it is, but that's subjective. In the case of the City, the paddle shifters would be a preferable alternative to the Grade S' [P R N D D3 2 L] gear lever slots that don't allow the option of manually selecting 4th gear.

To Honda's credit, however, 5A/T is pretty high specification level at this end of the market.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

bien335

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

bien335

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 613 posts
Deviating a bit into the trans discussion.

The robotised manual boxes (AMT, Selespeed etc) have very jerky shift qualities when in full auto mode, because it lack a torque converter. The reason full auto (or semi-auto) boxes shift smoothly in auto mode is also due to the torque converter, which is a viscous coupling. These boxes are manual boxes with auto mode.

DSG (and other twin clutch boxes) are essentially manual boxes, but with CVT-like shift smoothness.

the normal auto and semi auto (torque converter equipped) boxes are the norm nowadays.

I went to the launch in KL the other day, and there is a possibility of a MANUAL City. Let's just wait and see.
Yezzaaa