Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Hilux Soft Turbo Vs Triton Turbo Intercooler?

• Please log in to reply

spirit36

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:40 AM

spirit36

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Aug 11 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Soft turbo without intercooler means the turbocharger is much smaller and downside of it, lower pulling power. That's why Hilux torque is just at 260NM compared to Triton at over 330NM. When comes to pickup truck, pulling power is vital, else the car would accelerate slower than 1.3L car. Both ok for local climate. With intercooler, you cool the air first before entering the combustion chamer as engines love dense oxygen. Without intercooler, as long as the turbocharger is real small, it blows slightly little more air into the engine giving it little better performance than engine without turbocharger at all.

We need torque not for speed but to keep pace with traffic without hogging the road. When offroad, we need the pulling power for trekking and winching up some loads.

Thx... smile_thumbup.gif

ameniey

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:22 AM

ameniey

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Aug 11 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Soft turbo without intercooler means the turbocharger is much smaller and downside of it, lower pulling power. That's why Hilux torque is just at 260NM compared to Triton at over 330NM. When comes to pickup truck, pulling power is vital, else the car would accelerate slower than 1.3L car. Both ok for local climate. With intercooler, you cool the air first before entering the combustion chamer as engines love dense oxygen. Without intercooler, as long as the turbocharger is real small, it blows slightly little more air into the engine giving it little better performance than engine without turbocharger at all.

We need torque not for speed but to keep pace with traffic without hogging the road. When offroad, we need the pulling power for trekking and winching up some loads.

hi ameniey!

Wah, so greedy. Just add intercooler wanted to charge buyers more? That only place it on par with competitors. Hilux selling price now is already few thousands more, now wanted to add more thousands? When it comes with intercooler, that means it'll be getting new turbocharger. Maybe with VGT?

Naah, i don't think it is the VGT....I velieve it would be the oldies intercooler with extra money making by UMW from the 3-5k
3guys1hammer,2girls1cup,1guy1jar

jayraptor

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (ameniey @ Aug 31 2009, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Naah, i don't think it is the VGT....I velieve it would be the oldies intercooler with extra money making by UMW from the 3-5k

Hi ameniey,

If they are not giving VGT and the price increase is enough to cover the cost of VGT, I'll start calling them greedy and stingy

s6398

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:49 AM

s6398

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

Can anyone provide me info about adding an intercooler system to hilux D4D engine.

jayraptor

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (s6398 @ Sep 20 2009, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

Can anyone provide me info about adding an intercooler system to hilux D4D engine.

Are you trying to change its original turbocharger with after market turbocharger? If you wanted to play with turbocharger, make sure that fella who will tune the new turbocharger for you knows what he's doing. Overboost could blow up the intake manifold & cylinder head due to overheating from excessive air. Also, I heard that adding intercooler will need to register with JPJ. If those turbocharger shop technicians have technical background and certs, they'll know how to deal with custom aftermarket turbocharger & intercooler linked with additional intake hoses.

spirit36

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:42 PM

spirit36

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
QUOTE (s6398 @ Sep 20 2009, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

QUOTE (jayraptor @ Sep 25 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you trying to change its original turbocharger with after market turbocharger? If you wanted to play with turbocharger, make sure that fella who will tune the new turbocharger for you knows what he's doing. Overboost could blow up the intake manifold & cylinder head due to overheating from excessive air. Also, I heard that adding intercooler will need to register with JPJ. If those turbocharger shop technicians have technical background and certs, they'll know how to deal with custom aftermarket turbocharger & intercooler linked with additional intake hoses.

Guys,
Read up at Motor Trader where Bro Razzd has mod his hilux....you guys will enjoy what the Hilux can do and his not done with the mod yet.
And Yes, he is doing it by a reputable tuner.
http://www.motortrad...sp?FORUM_ID=171

s6398

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

s6398

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
Thanks to all

Just came back from oversea, will read thro all valueble replies. Bye

ameniey

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

ameniey

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
This is out of topic but can anybody tell me which tyre has better fuel economy when running on 100% tarmac. HT or AT? because I'm planning to change my stock Hilux Bridgestone Dueler H/T to a set of Toyota Cygnus stock rims with Toyo Open Country A/T

thanx in advanced
3guys1hammer,2girls1cup,1guy1jar

Tourist

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (ameniey @ Sep 29 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is out of topic but can anybody tell me which tyre has better fuel economy when running on 100% tarmac. HT or AT? because I'm planning to change my stock Hilux Bridgestone Dueler H/T to a set of Toyota Cygnus stock rims with Toyo Open Country A/T

thanx in advanced

If they are of the same size, I doubt there is any measurable differences.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

pannatan

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

pannatan

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
QUOTE (spirit36 @ Dec 13 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Forummers,

Test drive both the Hilux and Triton today. Can't really get hold of the handling, monuvering and so on for both cause the distance was short. Should hv offered them to put diesel and go a distance.
Well, the catch of my experienced today was...

Hilus SA : No need intercooler, we have soft turbo. It is proven and reliable.
Triton SA : Ours with intercooler, better performance and HP.

Well, can all the sifus out there care to share the differences between soft turbo and intercooler.
Which is the better element for our local climate?

Cheers... blink.gif