Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Emergency Braking

• Please log in to reply

michaeljen

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:17 AM

michaeljen

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
QUOTE (Newkelisa @ Mar 31 2009, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A poser to everyone,

IF you have no brake effort at the pedal, most of what I've read or heard is to pull up your handbrake gradually, engine braking etc etc

Well I've taken that as fact and this week I've been trying that out on an empty stretch of road to determine if this is fact or fiction.

My observation is that unless you're traveling at speeds of 20 km/h, you can just forget about stopping the car within 200 - 300 m using the handbrake and downshifting one gear down (auto). I've tried it at higher speeds and it is not possible to stop the car within reasonable stopping distance.

I've downshifted one gear down only (3). Maybe in an emergency you can downshift all the way to 1 or 2 but I think there's the risk of engine stalling (I did not try that) or ruining the gearbox. But maybe in an emergency a konk gearbox is better? But would it stop the car in time?

I did not try pulling the handbrake all the way up till inducing a rear wheel lock. I pulled it up gradually till I dared without snapping the cable.
Applying or easing the handbrake on and off did not make things better.

At this juncture, this advice of using handbrake to stop the car sounds like myth. It will eventually but it'll take a looong stretch of flat road to come to full stop. Unlikely if you're travelling on the highway and cars are in front.

Anyone care to offer their opinion or experiences?

i tried that b4...it is a no-no....
being practising brake-let go-brake-let go(eventhough my wajunk comes with abs and edb)..so far so good....that's only when on the dry road...
on wet road....i kept the distance at least 2 cars space in front..also the same practise....but definitely no handbrake...
The NMT Hamsap Committee Member of Waja Hamsapiens Club.

My name is michaelJenn.
I'm the grave digger....

ntc2000

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

ntc2000

Knight Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,286 posts
QUOTE (michaeljen @ Apr 2 2009, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i tried that b4...it is a no-no....
being practising brake-let go-brake-let go(eventhough my wajunk comes with abs and edb)..so far so good....that's only when on the dry road...
on wet road....i kept the distance at least 2 cars space in front..also the same practise....but definitely no handbrake...

i also use this practice... brake-let go-brake-let go

dont ever use ur handbrake for jam brake during high speed, u gonna buang masuk longkang straight away(unless u are drifter and know the skill)... emergency case like brake malfunction during downhill, try to use lower gear to slow ur vehicle 1st then only use handbrake-release-handbrake-release to lower down ur speed..