Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

kia optima review

• Please log in to reply

martinyeoh

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:05 AM

martinyeoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
QUOTE (Vemaltech @ Dec 15 2008, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have Intension to buy Second-Hand Optima which so cheap with good stuff. But i having a friend who is a Kia Expert and now he is under KMC(Korean Motor Corporation) don't recommend me to buy this Older Generation Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonata because the Engine having Static Current Problem which can Spoil most of Electronic part of vehicle and will cost Rm1k+ to repair. But once repair it, then the problem will be solved since the solution done by Hyundai/Kia. He recommend me to Buy ThetaII 2.0 Engine or GammaII 1.6 Engine type Vehicle which New generation Optima, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Rondo, and Mitsubishi 2.0 GT with Theta and Spectra5 with Gamma Engine. So finally i decide to take Spectra5 and now having it. New Generation Engine now with Timing Chain Instead of Timing Belt. So Low Maintenance cost.

hi,

if your friend have the know about how to get rid of the Current Static Prblem, could we ask him to share before more and more ppl need to replace the electronic part.

ffez

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:09 AM

ffez

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
QUOTE (jayraptor @ Aug 10 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Engine spare parts ok. Maintenance is ok but fuel consumption is a bit higher. Hyundai targeted US market at that time so they have to meet the requirements on strong chasis and pass the crash test with flying colour. In western countries, car insurance policies price depends on safety standard. Small cars like most Daihatsu are barred from entering Australia and smaller cars have more expensive insurance policies rate than bigger cars in Western Countries. Without valve timing and heavier body caused poorer FC. Optima '04 headlamp costs around RM500 a piece at that time. Now not sure.

Hi...I've owned a 2005 Optima...until today I'm happy with the car, FC seems reasonable for a 2.0cc car. It's a very stable car which allow you to attack corners at 120kmh-130kmh... smile_approve.gif very good handling, however it seems to almost pull a bit to the left occassionnally due to the left handed template export settings to US... maintenance wise so-so most of time between rm300-700 if u use fully sync oil...damn those are quite expensive nowdays about rm200-250 for 4 litre...used to be rm130-150 last time... smile_disapprove.gif ......spare part wise, depends on availability...was quoted rm350 for a piece of foglight!....other than that, I've no major problem with the car...anyway good luck for your choice! smile_thumbup.gif

abe

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

abe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Anymore review and comments on the current Kia Optima Novus?
I am starting to get interested in Kia, what more with the launching of the new Forte.

Kevin,
Come on...help to convince me that Optima is actually a better choice against the Altis & Civic.
smile_cool.gif

Kevin

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (abe @ Dec 9 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am starting to get interested in Kia, what more with the launching of the new Forte.

Kevin,
Come on...help to convince me that Optima is actually a better choice against the Altis & Civic.
smile_cool.gif

Sorry I can't because I don't actually own one smile_tongue.gif

I just want to add that if the Forte impresses you, I don't see why the Optima (at whatever discounted price) won't. The Optima still offers the following over the Forte:
- Overall perceived higher quality in interior trim, vehicle built, etc.
- Much larger boot with proper gas strut hinges
- Proper gas strut opener for the bonnet
- A map pocket behind the driver's seat
- Much more interior space

I was comparing a Optima and a Forte parked side by side at the showroom and I am amazed that Malaysians can be so blind when it comes to buying their cars. At least I was happy that I saw a lot of Honda and Toyota fanboys booking the Forte. In fact, someone was lamenting over the poor residual of his 2007 City VTEC smile_approve.gif

darreltian

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

darreltian

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts

Kevin,
smile_cool.gif

heard the optima is now selling below 90K....good grab smile_thumbup.gif

abe

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

abe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Kevin,
Thanks for chipping in.
I do agree with you that Optima flaunts that extra bit of overall luxury and quality...and definitely offers more space, over the Forte.
But I've to admit that - visually Forte has the more refreshing looks, inside out.
Will test drive both soon just for comparison sake (...I still expect that the Optima would walk over the Forte. Hehe)

darreltian,
Correcto Mundo. It's <90K after cashback nowadays.
What more could we ask for...

martinyeoh

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:37 PM

martinyeoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
how reliable actually the kia optima ?

lwlty

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:35 AM

lwlty

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts
New Optiam came out already at spore , after Forte lauching .

New optiam so powerful engine 2.0L got 164hp.

now korea wan rival with jap car.

enigma56

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

enigma56

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Kevin,
smile_cool.gif

abe,

Perhaps I can talk a bit on this bacos I have one for more than 2 years with zero defects . If you are getting the Novous with ESP and 17' wheel that would be nice.

1. interior - black and half leather seat , grand and not so hot to sit in.
2. exterior - rear end is ok, front end is boring, I had install a 'eye liner' to enhance it.
3. space - plenty everywhere
4. engine - quiet and good
5. consumption - acceptable around 10-11 l/100km average
6 performance - average . good when you engage tiptronic and floor the accelerator.
btw, this is a family saloon like accord and camry. don't let people laugh at us.
certainly satisfied as a normal users.
7. safety - airbags and ESP. built for international market not just for Asean (where lives is cheap)

Just test drive and feel it, this is a big car with big car feel. If you don't need/like space Forte will do.

For the price......simply cannot complain

abe

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

abe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
QUOTE (enigma56 @ Dec 10 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
abe,

Perhaps I can talk a bit on this bacos I have one for more than 2 years with zero defects . If you are getting the Novous with ESP and 17' wheel that would be nice.

1. interior - black and half leather seat , grand and not so hot to sit in.
2. exterior - rear end is ok, front end is boring, I had install a 'eye liner' to enhance it.
3. space - plenty everywhere
4. engine - quiet and good
5. consumption - acceptable around 10-11 l/100km average
6 performance - average . good when you engage tiptronic and floor the accelerator.
btw, this is a family saloon like accord and camry. don't let people laugh at us.
certainly satisfied as a normal users.
7. safety - airbags and ESP. built for international market not just for Asean (where lives is cheap)

Just test drive and feel it, this is a big car with big car feel. If you don't need/like space Forte will do.

For the price......simply cannot complain

enigma,

Agree.
On paper, just like what you and others have said here. The Optima seems like a a lot of car for such a decent money.
Don't really mind the Pakcik looks. A Camry also is still an uncle car....to a youngster in a lowered Civic.

Thanks for you comments. I just need to reassure myself by testing drive it soon...