Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Netbook/Mini Laptop = Advice neede

• Please log in to reply

SplitFire

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:50 AM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
QUOTE (profkaizen @ Jan 5 2010, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My personal experience and opinion:

* Many of my lecturers had used the earlier Acer Notebooks with one common problem, i.e. the notebook used to hang without any notice smile_angry.gif I had since then avoided Acer notebooks [I am not sure whether Acer had improved on this or not, but I am still not confident enough to own Acer notebooks now!]

* I have an NEC notebook [it is still being used in my office] what a good notebook it is! Plus points: very stable and reliable...and its heat sink is excellent. It is on all the time [24x7] smile_thumbup.gif

* Recently, I had purchased a Toshiba netbook [small and cute little fellow]. Not much problem except the battery life sucks big time [less than 1.5 hours on continuous and rigourous use smile_sad.gif ]

* Some of my students recommended Acer netbook which has excellent battery power.

* My first notebook was a HOKOMO brand, yucks, it got spoilt within a year smile_angry.gif , then I bought a Twin head notebook, it was also a lemon smile_angry.gif

Buy IBM ThinkPad series, if they're still selling it.

Amazingly I've not seen any lemon in ThinkPad. All my bosses using ThinkPad.

How about Sony Vaio?
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

ntc2000

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

ntc2000

Knight Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,286 posts

* Many of my lecturers had used the earlier Acer Notebooks with one common problem, i.e. the notebook used to hang without any notice smile_angry.gif I had since then avoided Acer notebooks [I am not sure whether Acer had improved on this or not, but I am still not confident enough to own Acer notebooks now!]

* I have an NEC notebook [it is still being used in my office] what a good notebook it is! Plus points: very stable and reliable...and its heat sink is excellent. It is on all the time [24x7] smile_thumbup.gif

* Recently, I had purchased a Toshiba netbook [small and cute little fellow]. Not much problem except the battery life sucks big time [less than 1.5 hours on continuous and rigourous use smile_sad.gif ]

* Some of my students recommended Acer netbook which has excellent battery power.

* My first notebook was a HOKOMO brand, yucks, it got spoilt within a year smile_angry.gif , then I bought a Twin head notebook, it was also a lemon smile_angry.gif

normally laptop hang becoz of overheat... after long time, chip in motherboard will bengkak then game over lor... normal lar... same as desktop, only desktop got some space for air circulation.

Newkelisa

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

Newkelisa

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Where did you purchase your NEC notebook? Was it overseas? Have not come across any NEC electrical products in M'sia. They do make good TVs, I had a NEC TV once, lasted for years.

NTC2000,

Since you're in the notebook industry, can I confirm something with you? Dell Inspiron Mini 10, is it upgradable to 2G Ram? The salesman says yes, but I can't find any memory parts for on in Dell's site and searching the web, people say the ram is soldered on the motherboard.

Thanks!

profkaizen

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

profkaizen

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts
QUOTE (Newkelisa @ Jan 10 2010, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where did you purchase your NEC notebook? Was it overseas? Have not come across any NEC electrical products in M'sia. They do make good TVs, I had a NEC TV once, lasted for years.

Thanks!

I bought my NEC notebooks in KL many years ago. NEC had since consolidated its business operations and concentrated more on its core business now, thus design and manufacturing of NEC notebooks are now only for the Japan market. NEC has since then left our shores smile_sad.gif

ntc2000

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:24 PM

ntc2000

Knight Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,286 posts
QUOTE (Newkelisa @ Jan 10 2010, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NTC2000,

Since you're in the notebook industry, can I confirm something with you? Dell Inspiron Mini 10, is it upgradable to 2G Ram? The salesman says yes, but I can't find any memory parts for on in Dell's site and searching the web, people say the ram is soldered on the motherboard.

Thanks!

i dont think this netbook upgradable to 2G Ram since dont have extra slot n it is soldered... If the salesman said can, get him to upgrade for u and u need to make sure international warranty didnt get void. most of the netbook is soldered ram.

Newkelisa

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

Newkelisa

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
QUOTE (ntc2000 @ Jan 10 2010, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i dont think this netbook upgradable to 2G Ram since dont have extra slot n it is soldered... If the salesman said can, get him to upgrade for u and u need to make sure international warranty didnt get void. most of the netbook is soldered ram.

Ok thanks for the info!

The saleman said to send to another shop to upgrade as they don't have the 'tools' to dismantle the keyboard.

ntc2000

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

ntc2000

Knight Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,286 posts
QUOTE (Newkelisa @ Jan 10 2010, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok thanks for the info!

The saleman said to send to another shop to upgrade as they don't have the 'tools' to dismantle the keyboard.

np... just info to share...

if like ur salesman said, it's will void the dell warranty... smile_blackeye.gif smile_blackeye.gif lol

SplitFire

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:35 PM

SplitFire

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
QUOTE (Newkelisa @ Jan 10 2010, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok thanks for the info!

You can stop buying anything else from this sales person already. smile_disapprove.gif
Ram me if you can!

SplitFire

Art806

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

Art806

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
Dell mini is quite ok, now going for under 1k.. else the inspiron model..
<BR>-Art-<BR><BR>My Ride:<BR><BR><A HREF="http://www.cardomain.com/id/Art4334">http://www.cardomain.com/id/Art4334</A></a>

Visit My Website