Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Unser - Q & A

• Please log in to reply

pokemon

Posted 05 July 2001 - 03:01 PM

pokemon

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,812 posts
ic...so a SUV is actually a `bluff 4wd` lar...cannot go for hardcore off road wan..for gaya n prestige only..MPV basically can carry more than 5 ppl as well as carry goods...

Then how u diff between a van n MPV ? Van, i`m talking about is not those carry things wan but those can carry ppl like rusa, mb100, vito, transit...reason i ask bcos some ppl say unser, serena is a van!

rocker...
Unser is bigger then CRV lar ...if you dun have to carry more than 5 passengers might as well go for CRV or Sportage..for woman more gaya compared to Unser but price wise SUV more expensive lar

newunser...
ideally it should be on the roof like serena so tat ppl behind oso can see w/o problem but Unser susah sikit lar unless u wanna drill holes on your roof...other alternative is

1. place on hte dash in hte middle..may obstruct viewing for ppl behind a bit but no drilling req and can easily removed. -ve point is ppl will know u have vcd and under hot sun may damage screen.

2. get those in-dash wan. Unser is 2din which means u have to remove the utility box and slot in hte in-dash screen. looks cool coz can conceal when not using. -ve point is viewing may be worse than opt 1 for ppl behind coz now it`s lower and in-dash screen cost more

ibni

Posted 06 July 2001 - 09:23 AM

ibni

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
makanangin

I found a shop selling unser seat covers at Jalan Sentul. It`s a ready made cover and fit in all 8 seats nicely. The lady quoted me RM350 and she said it can be negotiated further. I was about to grab it, but didn`t because the colour doesn`t suit my taste.

With regard to rim and tyre, do you think I still can trade in my 1 1/2 week old tyre, doing about 400 km??

makangin

Posted 06 July 2001 - 12:06 PM

makangin

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts
There is no problem to trade in tyres, so long there is still `flowers one` . The question is what`s the price for the new tyre and the trade in value. Sometimes these tyre shops still can make money out of it. Look at in my case.
Trade in tyre RM110
New tyre Rm 210

but if I buy from other shop, the tyre cost only RM165. At the end the trade in price for the tyre is only RM65.
They will play around with prices.

I suggest if you want to buy the rims and tyres try to Lelong your original tyres in the Car and Accessories Forum first. Afterall we are registered forumers.

makangin

Posted 06 July 2001 - 02:45 PM

makangin

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts
Pokemon,

MPV - the letter V can be a vehicle or a van.

In US, MPV`s are called minivans and the real vans are bigger like the Ford Transit, Mercs MB100, Vollks Sharan etcs.

In Malaysia, MPV`s are those vans that are the `gaya` type with plush interior, pricey, and for up market. Never questions on fuel consumption. Unfortunately, the old SERena and Unser falls between MPV`s and vans. Serena with engine below seats and Unser`s that retains its rear van-look with cheapo interior quality.
So that it serves for different target group."Mampu and Kurang Mampu Users"

And then there is this term MUV like RUSA.

And what would you call for the coming Proton car with 6 seaters, boxy shaped based on Mitsubish Townbox?

These are just names given by the car distributors.

Somehow I remember and managed to dig from Nissan Thread about MPV`s written by Kasper. Sorry rather long, Requote:

First of all, what constitutes an MPV (in Malaysia)? The definition can range from a taller version of stationwagon (i.e. SpaceWagon) or a van with engines under the front seats (i.e. SpaceGear, Serena). Even Perodua claims that their Rusa is an MPV. However, they claim that Kenari is not. Nevertheless, the best definition could be the one quoted by AsianAuto, What really qualifies a van as an MPV is the level of fittings; it has to be of a certain quality, supposedly higher than what most window-vans-turned-family-wagons boast of.

Passenger vans (i.e. Econovan, Liteace, Vanette) have park-bench seats at the back that quote, the rear units give the impression that the distributors just needed something that could fill the space and the description. Nevertheless, there are a few upmarket locally assembled passenger vans, namely Ford Spectron, Toyota Liteace Premio, Nissan Vanette Elite. Quote, They boast of quite decent fittings and equipment. And their prices are relatively attractive. But they are, nevertheless, spruced and spiced up versions of commercial vehicles, and familiar ones, at that.

Now, lets take a look at both Serena and Unser. Both escape this billing but are they really MPVs as claimed. Well, if we follow the above way of thinking, then they both are MPVs. Neither are spruced up versions of commercial vehicles. (though Unser is also sold as a commercial workaholic in the 40 other countries Toyota markets it in) The 1.6 Serena may be low-spec but it still towers above the C22 category. Both also have proper seats unlike conventional vans. The Serena 2.0 for instance has custom-made seats by APM Auto Seats. Both also have the traditional van humps made less conspicuous and intruding. Both have proper seat-belts, air-conditioning system (including for rear), good stereo system (Serena has the Cefiros system and VCD player) and a host of other gadgets that all MPVs should have. (cupholders, power windows, power steering, central locking, etc)

What about differences between the two? Apart from the price tag (RM82k for Unser Auto vs RM100k for facelifted Serena Auto), the two have completely different focus and direction in their powerplants, suspension and the lots. Serena has 1.6 DOHC 16V EFi (M) or 2.0 DOHC 16V EFi (A) versions. The 1.6 is a Sentra engine, and the 2.0 an Altima engine. Unser has a 1.8 8V 7K-E engine. (not sure if SOHC or DOHC)
Winner (price) : Unser. Winner (engine) : Serena.

Suspension is another area of difference : The budget Serena 1.6(M) has independent by MacPherson struts for front and leaf spring for rear while the Serena 2.0(A) has the same MacPherson struts for front but the highly vouched Nissan multi-link setup (MLB). On the other hand, Unser 1.8 (M/A) has el-cheapo leaf springs like the Serena 1.6(M). Winner : Serena 2.0.

Another major difference is that Serena have a sliding door whereas Unser has car-doors like the Honda MPV.
Winner : Unser.

Serena have a very appealing cabin and very positive dashboard impression very MPV-like interior. On the other hand, Unser gives a completely different impression with its apple QXnangin

I found a shop selling unser seat coose ve9Q:c'(!sTitleH98PA XFileIDIDer9hpAHd HLlast_poster_id'1', 'AAD3*LAsia/Kuala_LumpuryA2975835', '68760', 'Modenas Karisma 125', '0', 'nazirmz', 'e6ffddb3a05f0b3cc6f802b531b33ccb', '1855', 'lp`ys D MsgTypeDbroug(9X+X@D:40.0009`Y/bd P!(!@sStatey9lcally based on alphabetical order, V is higher than E. Even in T
brand, G spec is higher than E spec. '!y:58.0009!Qƹ4!X szDescY946552', '77544', 'Unser - not spacious as advertised', '0', 'kinghamsap'9Y' !+!X sStartName99C !("!8sStartDate99HG4"x!nDepth99Ё, l"0D"xforum_id99a ""`"sIPAddress99 "%"0sPostParent99ܯ[
#H=@#`%Hx#sEditDaterday o99d L#x##sPostKeyng arou99w:
#%@##nNewTopicselah y9x is the market rate now? Will they give different discount for
different type of Vios say J vs S?yC us still ok, leave it alone. The contact cleaner is the last ditch
effort to save it. If u want to rub it, do it very gently as u spray.
Don\'t want to break anything in there.>e\">`PntR3 %XnawRatinger(9n, 'calQ(9`cC$ l%#%sOldUserID9hl
9# %q`%"sMessageerday oX9p &!p3ReplyToIDi think 8@C;yX`other extreme is people driving on the right lane at slow speed with
hazard lights on during raining.!\ny202.187.8.2198P2600R3yp7145132', '10919', 'HONK TWICE WHEN U SEE THIS CAR!', '1', 'promoking', '8aaa8a8b2ecdefcebb25f68713bd3a97 iyyHsilver, i prefer black, cause its cool, blue also quite nice, sharp
colour, hope to get my city asap'coy''8-0to trade in tyres, so long there is still `flowers one` . The question is what`s the price for the new tyre and the trade in value. Sometimes these tyre shops still can make money out of it. Look at in my case.
Trade in tyre RM110
New tyre Rm 210

but if I buy from other shop, the tyre cost only RM165. At the end the trade in price for the tyre is only RM65.
They will play around with prices.

I suggest if you want to buy the rims and tyres try to Lelong your original tyres in the Car and Accessories Forum first. Afterall we are registered forumers. on o$R3py`here any others scooter also being curi their battery? or others
motor face with the problem?$R3yp`y4510477', '68762', 'modenas kriss 110 manual clutch', '1', 'pdcott', 'dd727c82c38d3e2a3525b922b44aa370', 'y@(HbDD;y()nza...its unethical..

if me, i will never do it...because i dont want people to do it on my car.

Ay0al for a stock Evo should be around 9km/l for, '0yAcould always drop by at any Traffic Police Station and have a check
with them as they should help you.y  7's Utility Vehicle such as Pajero, Prado, CRV, Frontera, etc. Most of these are 4 wheel drive vehicles. Not sure what MPV stands for (Multi Purpose Vehicle/Van maybe), but they are usually in van shaped, e.g Zafira, Serena, Spectron, Ullesye(?). This is my understanding anyway.

By the way, how is the size of the Unser compared to a CRV? I am looking for something the size of a CRV or Sportage for my wife. Is the Unser in this category?s niR3ngset. Now I`m getting to appreciate it.\n\nIf I were to change the rim, is it possible to have bigger than 15 inches??\n\n','ibni@1');
3yЏal dia tak siarkan jer kat rancangan TV..
aku malas sikit dlm bab baca2 menbaca majalah ni...6670yy29758131', '12292', 'Best fuel for Honda City Vtec', '0', 'machzero', '23d8e02208f750f64a16fa574b47e779', 'yy60160263', '10893', 'Gua Musang - Jeli, route 66', '0', 'cygnus', '1765976479fdc0ffdb389fdd5f8ab6af', '7643yy2358218', '77461', 'T-Talk for OT chat', '0', 'tnigel', 'dbc52f9c35c4c644b5fc5b1d0b486d03', '22770', ''rdey@R3img src="http://203.115.193.189/forum/images/emoticons/smile_big.gif" border="0" alt="Big Smile">h..!!!x:09.000) <B0N)Piyhx whitenite,
oic.one more thing no need to pay rm10 to see yr shot.pay if u want to
take home yr shot.'yy
3225599', '12290', 'Best discount for Honda Civic 1.8', '0', 'nazmanm', '1f1a843bda39df6c4fde3d2d063941e29!y:51.000y!only the PRDM lar...even cars with number plates starting with \'Z\'
also drive like speed demons...16'yy,ed....\"Smile\"..AyOngin, what abt your spare rim? Don`t you changin', AAD-4PA0ClosedorqyAX=n la kau sub, aku baca 2kali br faham ridle ko nih!!! lahanat boost on
la beng! ;p blur blurr... Pyy@mania,,

hahahahah bukan ko ade 3 ker?? kat opis ko ade 2 kat umah ade 1 :)
''y&6', '77546', 'Unser - Q & A', '0', 'pokcc9fcf634f0$652cf614', '2582', 'guys..\n\nhow do u cgorise wether the vehicle is a SUV, MPV ?y3168378', '10893', 'Gua Musang - Jeli, route 66', '0', 'pdmsm1', 'b30175a838c9612d6320b650a7cac460', '6835yy@much the price for Honda City brake pad for Vtec. I think high
performance is good but which model to go.Hyp7p7PS3 -8, 'Unser - Q & A', '0', 'rocker', '9992dab827bd49b7b45b8a82e4f16a07', '2585', 'SUV stands for Sports Utility Vehicle such as Pajero, Prado, CRV, Frontera, etc. Most of these are 4 wheel drive vehicles. Not sure what MPV stands for (Multi Purpose Vehicle/Van maybe), but they are usually in van shaped, e.g Zafira, Serena, Spectron, Ullesye(?). This is my understanding anyway.\n\nBy the way, how is the size of the Unser compared to a CRV

pokemon

Posted 06 July 2001 - 03:23 PM

pokemon

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,812 posts
thanks 4 ur x-planation

gibs

Posted 12 July 2001 - 02:32 PM

gibs

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
Hi, friends
Can anyone tell me that Unser is design by Toyota HQ in Japan or local? Is it local made & assembly?
Thank you

newunser

Posted 14 July 2001 - 12:35 AM

newunser

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
Finally...got my new Unser two days ago....almost 2 mths wait. I am getting the manual one as I have test drive the auto and find it underpower. Beside that had driven Wira Aeroback 1.6 manual for so many years and when you need additional push of the car, you just change the gear.
So far so good with my new Unser and only problem is the manual gear is a bit hard or tough....1st and 3rd gear slightly difficult to engage. Engine quite loud and plan to do some soundproofing...especially the firewall. Seatr not really that comfortable....will shop around and see what alternative....maybe used the body hugging seat of the aeroback so find this seat in Unser horrible. Overall it is value for money.
Had done some shopping for tinting....Suncool Delux on the side and back and SolarGard on the windscreen cost RM650.
Will need to do some ICE modification and also k-bar too.

gibs

Posted 14 July 2001 - 08:35 AM

gibs

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
Conglatulation newunser! finally got ur Unser...
Is that engine r really so loud ? cos thinking of having one too...well, heard that Unser engine is the one which used in Hilux van! am I right? So, do you need to use the 2nd gear to move on the Unser like Van instead of 1st gear like car? It seems like a silly question...but anyway need 2 know...
Btw, anyone know the answer 4 my questions which posted previously ? stay cool......

gibs

Posted 14 July 2001 - 09:19 AM

gibs

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
hello newunser,
forgot to ask u abt the interest rate...
can u let me know
Thanks

makangin

Posted 14 July 2001 - 10:56 AM

makangin

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts
The sound still exist though UMW had installed a submuffler to upgrade on the facelift model.

The sound is like a car with a big mufffler pipe when you lift the accelarator.

It is also because of the short gear ratio. It`s like travelling on a 4th gear all the time.

and also because of the radiator fan. Not sure what system it is using but its not belt driven, because you can move the fan by hands with little resistance. (no belt attached).

Agree with Newunser - got to sound proof the firewall. And may be later after warranty period, can meddle with the fan cooling system - change to electrical system. And as for the gear ratio - I think the most affordable I can do is to change to a synthetic gear oil.

Passenger cabin: sound proofing is quite OK.