Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

help ! my wira idle rpm drops when on aircond ...

• Please log in to reply

ChasV

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:44 PM

ChasV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

There is a youtube video about this, the FICD isnt the problem, its the IACV (idle air control valve) according to the comment:

the ficd keeps the motor from stalling when its cold, the IACV (idle air control valve) raises the idle accordingly depending on motor load when idle ie: turning steering wheel, turning lights on, turning fans/ac on. that's what you should have replaces/cleaned/adjusted.

The fellow in the video changed the FICD and it had no effect on the problem.

ChasV

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:05 AM

ChasV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

In this additional video, it says the FICD and IACV are the same. But though its not about Wira, you get the idea about the situation and the need to clean it, adjust it and that the ECU can pick up the information. This may do nothing more than add to your general knowledge. I dont know. Im trying to learn this idle problem.

Now you can imagine why I like cars from the 1960's. None of this crap aboard the cars!

vr2turbo

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:22 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts

Yup, is the same thing called differently. FICD is (fast idle control device) as in IACV (idle air control valve)

ChasV

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

ChasV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Alright then its possible the AC idle problem is nothing more than a dirty FICD--or its broken. In a youtube video there was a chap who used a Toyota part and it worked. But if those parts are OK, then its the ECU itself and if it cannot be re-programmed it may need to be replaced. I would hate that, its so expensive.

ChasV

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:08 AM

ChasV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

When postings stopped here 10 years ago there was no confirmed resolution. Ugh. What happened, everyone drag their cars to the scrap yard and buy Bentleys?

rallychamp

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:46 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts

my satria 1.6 got crazy behaving IACV (mmc type of FICD) even the gear,motors,housing were in pretty good condition...

so i ditched all the gearing, lock the valve at fixed position, and add denso type FICD...problem solved....

so now instead of autochoke/warm-up procedure, i resort to manual choke/fast idling during cold start...just flick the ficd manual switch for morning warm-up....and drive away...then turn it of after getting good operating temp...

hahahahaha

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

ChasV

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:00 PM

ChasV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Ok but was your problem an AC low-idle problem?

vr2turbo

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts

My Mitsu also had that problem, my mechanic fitted a manual FICD from the kembara. Drill a hole in the inlet manifold and attached it there....

ChasV

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:09 PM

ChasV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

I went back to Proton and they said I dont have a FICD. They said the early series Wira had Mitsubishi components and FICD. Later, round 2000, Proton changed to VDO components and the FICD/IACV function was taken over by the ECU so there are no separate parts in the FI anymore. I'm only relaying what they said.

They are trying to locate another working ECU of the same Wira series to compare operations and results from the handheld. They believe the ECU has to be replaced. I have no knowledge about ECU so I cant say whats true or incorrect or what. I told them to COMPLETELY disassemble the throttle body and manifold parts and look for trouble, but first reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, restart the car for 15 min, then off, then IGN on for 30 seconds so that the ECU remembers the new settings. If the same results as before, then ok take apart the manifold.

There are still sensors on the manifold that can be checked, and I can see a vacuum device mounted on the firewall which connects into the throttle body by hose--what is that for?

They said the "broken plastic screw in FICD" applies to the early Mitsu series Wira.

vr2turbo

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:34 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts

Wah! if need to change ECU for idling problem will be very costly..... :o