Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Used Xantia: Your Prognosis Please

• Please log in to reply

thatjames

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:48 PM

thatjames

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
Yesterday, Part II of my Xantia shopping brought me to a used car dealer in Sec 13, PJ. The car is
a 1995 CKD 2.0(A). According to the dealer, the car belonged to a doctor. At first glance, the car
was in good shape. Paint was good and the interior was exceptionally well taken care of - no
peeling on the steering wheel and gear know. Even the wear and tear of the seats were minimal,
though the gray interior was quite badly faded. But the suspension was pretty bad - I think. Can
any of you sifus pls help me understand what I experienced?

1) First the "click-click" sound from the Hydraulic Pump (?) was very rapid. From what I learnt at
the last TT, that should mean a high pressure leak. Is this correct? When I shifted the car to it's
highest maintenance height, the "click-click" suddenly stopped. Stopped for a good 2-3 minutes
before it came back. What happened there?

2) Also, when raising the car from its low maintenance height to the low ride height, the front
portion of the car sort of inched it way up unsteadily - like up, up, up, uuuup, uup, up, up. What
does this mean?

3) Then, from the high ride height, I lowered the car again to the low ride height. The back came
down first, and then the front refused to budge. It didn't move at all so the back was low and the
front was high. I pointed it out to the dealer and the opened the door, revved on the accelerator
and then the front finally came down. What caused this?

One last question:

4) If the car is stationery and I'm fiddling with the suspension height, is there any difference in
how a hydropneumatic and a hydractive behaves? Do both auto-correct the ride height if I were
to, say, sit on the bonnet?

Ok, one last last!

5) Is there any particular order in which the car should rise or lower? Front first, back first or both
simultaneously?

Will appreciate any clues on this. Thanks, guys!

adibonsu

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:15 PM

adibonsu

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
thatjames, u got my name card right? call or email me cos i knew 2 or 3
xantia petrol, maybe, just maybe, in considerably good condition. at least
that is what the salesman said/promised to me.

DarthDude

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:15 PM

DarthDude

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
Hokay.... here goes.....

1) First the "click-click" sound from the Hydraulic Pump (?) was very rapid. From what I learnt at
the last TT, that should mean a high pressure leak. Is this correct? When I shifted the car to it`s
highest maintenance height, the "click-click" suddenly stopped. Stopped for a good 2-3 minutes
before it came back. What happened there?
**Yes there is a leak in the high pressure portion of the system. It could be the brake valve, the
pinion valve or any number of gadgets in the high pressure portion of the system (did you check
the state of the accumulator sphere by stomping on the brake pedal while the car was in normal
ride height?). You will only be able to know which component it is by unplugging each of the
return hoses from the LHM reservoir and seeing which one is gushing LHM. It is impossible for us
to tell which component it is but ROUGHLY get about RM200 to RM400 for each component that
has to be changed (yes there may be more than one). As for why the clicking stopped at max
height I think it`s because that at maximum height the system is giving maximum pressure
anyway so there is less cutting in and out to maintain a middle pressure level.***

2) Also, when raising the car from its low maintenance height to the low ride height, the front
portion of the car sort of inched it way up unsteadily - like up, up, up, uuuup, uup, up, up. What
does this mean?
*** This could point to jammed front struts. Your question 3) below confirms it. The struts have
to be changed- about RM1500 per strut.***

3) Then, from the high ride height, I lowered the car again to the low ride height. The back came
down first, and then the front refused to budge. It didn`t move at all so the back was low and the
front was high. I pointed it out to the dealer and the opened the door, revved on the accelerator
and then the front finally came down. What caused this?
***Yeah... sounds like jammed struts to me. See my answer to 2) above.***

One last question:

4) If the car is stationery and I`m fiddling with the suspension height, is there any difference in
how a hydropneumatic and a hydractive behaves? Do both auto-correct the ride height if I were
to, say, sit on the bonnet?
***No. There is no difference in this respect. Both will auto correct in exactly the same way.***

Ok, one last last!

5) Is there any particular order in which the car should rise or lower? Front first, back first or both
simultaneously?
***Usually the back will go up first and the front will come down first. This is because there is a
lot more weight on the front of the car than the back.***

All in from what you`ve described I`d set aside a good RM4k to put just these faults right. Seeing
as how it`s a 1995 car with a good interior and exterior I`d suggest a price of no more than
RM15k. NOT A PENNY MORE!!!!!

Hope this helps man.......

Darth

johnckl

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:43 PM

johnckl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts
Q1) could mean just a low pressure accumulator sphere. Could be other
problems as DD have pointed out. If main sphere, just regas. If not, then
have to troubleshoot one by one.

Q2) & 3) Could mean the struts just need some lubrication. 3) is very
common. Don't panic over these, could be minor problems. Sometimes car
not driven for some time might freeze up the struts.

For the dealer, no point for them to maintain the car, so you won't get a
good deal. Buy from owners who have to maintain the car in running
condition.

samson1886

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:49 AM

samson1886

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
If we were to change all the sphere...and all the sotong...would that
secure our smooth ride for few years down the road at least???
What's that gonna cost, any idea?

xantiaBFY

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:15 AM

xantiaBFY

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 967 posts
tahtjames,

bring a sifu to check out the car. thats the best way I think.take your
time ...I am sure the car will still be there when you come back.this is
to ensure you dont get a lemon.....

rfbu

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:16 AM

rfbu

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts
samson... u want to buy a xantia??? muahahaha

someone kena racun d... hahaha

I got to know of a xantia for sale at auto city... '96 going for 22k

I think 22k is too much

thatjames

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:29 AM

thatjames

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
Thanks for the offer Adibonsu. Will call you over the weekend.

Darth, John, you guys are as articulate as ever. So I guess the things I listed could very well be a
small problem or a major one eh? I do expect to spend some money to get the car in good
condition, but I don't wanna blow my bank account doing it. Still it's helpful to know what to
expect in terms of spending. Like Samson1886, I'd also like to know what other kinds of
expenditure to expect, assuming we get an average condition Xantia. From what I've read in past
posts, replacement spheres are about RM300 a pc, regassing is RM60 a pop and the sotong is
anything from RM700-RM1000, rite? What else could possibly go wrong to render the car
undriveable? How much does the hydraulic pump cost? Can it be repaired?

John, I will try to buy from a direct seller, but as a direct seller myself, I know how unrealistic
their expectations will be in terms of the selling price. And I hate to offend anybody by making
an insulting offer! And yes, XantiaBFY, I do intend to seek help from the sifus here to view but I'll
make a shortlist first before troubling anyone. Smile Think I'll take my time on this one.

johnckl

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:57 AM

johnckl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts
If got much $$$$$, then can change all the spheres, the sotong,
suspension, struts, etc. then become like new car. But for those a bit
tight, trouble shoot one by one, maintain or repair, if not get used
unit, new unit is last resort. Spheres can be regassed or got used units,
why change new, unless got that $$$ that you want to get rid off. Sotong
can last a long time, so long its not cracked. Get a good workshop who
can check whether got cracks or not, need to change or not. The workshop
must also know how to handle the sotong, if not they will crack or break
it themselves. My sotong very lasting except the small one which was
broken by careless handling.

APEK

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:34 PM

APEK

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
thatjames,

what is the milage of that car? if it is 80-100km, most likely the
previous owner dump it when everything is about to due.

About the front strut, yes I "stamp" John's statement. Atleast I know my
car is behaving that way for almost 6 month or more. malas mau grease.
maybe this weekend.

And for the sphere, it should be very lasting. My front xXTD sphere still
good at 180k km, rear LHS, rear RHS, rear center & center front app 100-
120k. And I have to put in brand new ($250-300 per pc) not because I have
extra $$$ but because I'm leaving at the northpole. Cannot find N2 gas
tank overhere Clown

&..pls don't forget to lift the carpet under yr driver's seat & look for
LHM spillage. Leakage overthere is unnotice & could cause a few hundred
oso.

hydraulic pump - mine leak last time only change a few oil seal. total
cost less then $30.