Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

audible 'tok' when cornering

• Please log in to reply

rfbu

Posted 09 January 2003 - 06:17 PM

rfbu

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts
Hello guys,

I get a metallic 'tok' sound when I corner.

it always happens when I come out of a multi level car park and the road outside slops down. when I come out of the car park I make a left turn and then I hear a ... 'tok' once.

do you get wot I mean?

also, is this BAD sign???

rfbu

vonnig

Posted 09 January 2003 - 09:32 PM

vonnig

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,143 posts
left right front rear? specifics... tq. but likely to be the link rod... i get that too...

Posted 09 January 2003 - 11:44 PM

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
hi guys....

I presumed the "tok" sound is from front part.
seem it is the joint of the drive shaft problem.

if you happen to hear the "tok" sound again when cornering (full turn)...then it is almost confirm joint problem. This is a common symtoms of joint problem for front wheel drive car.

cheers

rfbu

Posted 10 January 2003 - 08:54 AM

rfbu

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts
hello guys,

sorry, I'm not too sure where it's coming from.

I'm only presuming it's coming from the back.

Also, the sound is 'tok' not 'tok-tok-tok-tok-...'

Also, it's not at full turn. When I take the turn , I turn the steering wheel 360 degrees( turn the steering wheel to the left 360 degrees) not until the end. That means, when I turn the steering right 360 degrees, the wheels are now straight.

also, I am going slowly at about 5-10 kph.

anymore information required?

thanks for the help,
rfbu

vonnig

Posted 10 January 2003 - 09:05 AM

vonnig

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,143 posts
if let's say it's coming from the rear then there is a chance that it is the rear absorber mountings... that would be the movement of the absorber along it's guide resulting in this audible "thud" from the rear... there are no other moving parts at the back to cause such a sound... a worn bearing or trailing arm does not produce this sound... i get that sound as well...

alternatively it could possibly mean that some else is or maybe loose and therefore requires a bit of tightening... but my best guess is the absorbers... if you have yet to change it... if you find that your absorbers are still in good condition, ask the mech to put something there to absorb/dampen that sound... i've known the Pugs to have this prob...

rfbu

Posted 10 January 2003 - 09:51 AM

rfbu

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts
howzit goin',

thanks a bunch for the info!

I take it that since that it's probably something loose then it's not too critical. No, the absorbers have not been changed yet. They(the absorbers) appear ok to me, since there's no scrapping sound when going over a speed-bump or bumpy/undulating surfaces.

I will take my car to my mech and see what he says.

cheers!
rfbu

wt

Posted 10 January 2003 - 11:08 AM

wt

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts
might still be a link rod. when my front left link rod wore out, i could've sworn that the sound was coming from somewhere towards the rear but on checking, it was the front left link rod. just take it to a mech and see how i suppose.. all the best! Smile

rfbu

Posted 10 January 2003 - 11:31 AM

rfbu

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts
hello,

dear me...Shock link rod sounds expensive, how much did yours cost? did u get a new one or a cannibalised part?

wt

Posted 10 January 2003 - 11:39 AM

wt

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts
link rod cheap cheap only. costed me 160, inclusive of labour. it's just a small part, no worries Wink

vonnig

Posted 10 January 2003 - 12:52 PM

vonnig

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,143 posts
rfbu... dun worry so much... the link rod is about 1 foot long and connects the anti-roll bar to the absorbers to provide a wonderful cornering experience that you would not be able to feel in any other car...