Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Interested in buying a MRS - Need advice

• Please log in to reply

andykhy

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:56 PM

andykhy

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I am interested in getting a recon/unregistered
MRS with SMT. Anything that I should look out during car inspection/test
drive for this car cause I am really clueless about how to evaluate a car
condition. If possible, do PM me on the used car dealers/trustworthy
dealers that you can recommend so that I can check it out.

Btw, I have a stupid question to ask. Is the hardtop model opens up to be
topless like the softtop model?

Thanks in advance to all the sifus here for the advice.

abuga

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:20 PM

abuga

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts
Koolspyda,

where are you?

LOL. If you ask me, I will tell you to bring a mechanic, several lifts
and stands so that you can crawl under the car to check under carriage.
To check for chasis damage, the under carriage will tell you a lot as well
as the front and rear frame. If they are in any way bent, best you choose
some other car.

Then, look into the wheel arch, look at the suspension struts. If you see
any oily substance around any part, best to avoid. open the radiator cap
and turn on the engine briefly, check for "champagne" - bubbles coming
up. If there are bubbles, usually there is some leakage in the cooling
system and its best to be careful about that.

Easiest is to ask for Puspakom certificates. For relatively new cars, you
shouldnt have so much problems.

Cheers

koolspyda

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:54 PM

koolspyda

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 769 posts
frankly before you buy the MR-S, it would be good to read about the car if it indeed suits your
idea of driving. Before I got mine, the useful mags i referred were the EVO (UK addition), SCC (US)

Only after i purchased the car that i stumbled upon the spyder (MR-S) forum in US. A bunch of
wonderguys, nut cases, weidos, ...Evil

many times, loads of people pan the MR-S as being under-powered when they could not even
handle it. I wont be shy to admit that one needs to "invest" in knowing the car & understanding it
characteristics. with some additonal mods on improving how the car handles the MR-S has been
able to keep up with more powerful cars (EVO, scooby, MR2 (gen2), Civics (The famed VTECs) in
autocrosses. However on trackdays esp in sepang (then one have to consider the next upgrade of
Force induction)

you could bum yourself to :
(lookie for links form )
---> (US MR-S forum) http://www.spyderchat.com
---> (UK MR-S forum) http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/index.php

---> (mal MR-S chats)http://www.zerotohun...ead.php?t=15602

---> (mal/JB MR-S chats)http://www.mutiaramo...orum_posts.asp?
TID=19&PN=1

--->http://www.motortrad...p?TOPIC_ID=8005

http://www.autoworld...m/allposts.asp?
summary=1&Forum=ap573388152&access=2&status=1&subject=perhaps+the+best+car+they
+have+ever+built%2E+%7E+MR%2DS+

summary=1&Forum=ap957285722&access=2&status=1&subject=MR2+spyder+tops+even+a+
porsche+911%3F%3F+%3A%29

summary=1&Forum=ap957285722&access=2&status=1&subject=buy+MR2+soon

I can link you to japan forums but I dont think you will understand japanese.
if you need for more info you could pm me at --->spyderclub.msia@gmail.com

any dealers to recommemed ?? it all your personal peference. you may try the larger network of
dealers first before the smaller ones. (get a quote of best deal first)

koolspyda

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:03 PM

koolspyda

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 769 posts
and err no the hard top is an option & will not pop into the back ala SLK or the pug 206 cabrio.
(both FF). most MR-S sold locally (grey import) may not carry the hardtop.

namely the MR-S was designed as an topless mid-engine roadster. & having a mechanical
hardtop that ploops into the back would make the handling quite different. (heavy)

brief history:
---->http://www.spyderchat.com/history.htm

there were few chaps who dropped emails to me before purchasing erm.
feel free to pm me or take a test drive at the dealers. Personally I would opt for manual but that
me. SMT has an upgrade model post 2003 & most model locally is pre2003 spec.

ripper99

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:52 PM

ripper99

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
I had the opportunity to live with the MRS for a week before I decided
against the purchase. Thought it would have been a great idea to have one
now having deeply regretted parting with a MR2 many years ago.

Reasons not to:

Gearing too high. Fun for short city spin around but the SMT becomes a drag
having to change gears ever so often. Might have been different if its a
full auto.

Due to the gearing and hence high revs, noise is an issue even at cruising
highway speeds.

Can be very fidgety give the state of our roads.

Conclusion: very nice reasonably priced spare car to have. Next best thing
to an Elise for short trips. If for everyday use, probably a Celica is more
suitable.

koolspyda

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:52 PM

koolspyda

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 769 posts
which is why I added in my earlier post, the very idea of the MR-S must suit the purchasers ideal
of driving pleasure.Big Smile it was never the end to the means for everyone. I always stressed
that. There are enthusiast whose idea of driving fun is boosting at every squeeze of the trottle
pedal; to others quietness zipping around which is more ideal. (stock wise I havent heard of any
complains that the spyder is loud; in fact most complains were it not loud enough for a sports
car.) In fact most turnoff for most MR2 (gen2) owners were the lack of turbo as an option. (for
the MRS).

typically the target market was not to pitt the MR2 (genII) vs MR-S BUT against the mighty miata
MX5 (Best selling sports car in the world, period), the Rover MG TF, a limited fiat bracetta (dont
remember if spelt correctly).

did toyota succeed?? yes & no,
ThumbUpThumbUpYes, they did come up with the best roadster in its class (check MR-S vs Miata vs Fiat vs
MG vs pug 206 ) there are tons of this review in UK. so much so that it was label as "almost a
daily elise".

BlackeyeNo, because to succeed the miata; in one of the reasons; toyota must offer more luggage
space then the evergreen Miata. Yota cant do that without sacrificing the fine inter play between
road feel once the weight of car rear overload comes into play (esp the engine is in the rear). One
probably have read of the scary feel once the tail breaks off. Something toyota took pains not to
repeat with the MR-Spyder. Secondly, miata had a longer history in the small roadster category &
thus had far more superior aftermarket parts (mods).

there are also opinions of car vs car ownership in the US/UK forums that could provide usefull
idea what to expect.

Lastly I will offer a quote from a UK fellow owner (ex miata). In UK the MR-S is known as MR2
roadster but mostly also referred MR2 -----> Why an MR2? - JuanSolo (UK forumer at http://
www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/index.php)

My brief was simple; I wanted something that was fun to drive. Out and out performance was not
an issue as I have the Westfield for that. I wanted something that was utterly reliable and could
be used on the odd track day where I simply could not be bothered to drive the Westie to the
event.

Prior to buying the Westie I ran an MX-5 for over two years and planned on buying another. It
was the car that I started doing track days in and was the most reliable, tough and cheap to run
track car I`ve ever owned. A blast to drive on the road and top fun on the track. But after having
a look around the Mazda dealers I took one for a spin and it was all very familiar and nothing
new. It`s not that it was bad, it`s just that I`ve never bought the same car twice, even one as
good as the MX-5.

So, slightly disappointed with my experience with the Mazda I looked at my options. I could buy
a S1 Elise, a car that I love dearly. However that would be more of a replacement for the Westie.
As I know that if I was faced with the option of using the Westie or the Elise, I`d end up using the
Elise every time as it`s far less hassle. Which would leave the Westie redundant. Plus, usable as
an everyday car they may be, but they`re not the most reliable cars in the world. They leak and
start to look shabby when you put a lot of miles on them.

The next option was a VX220, better built than the original Elise and I deeply dislike the styling
of the Elise S2 but unfortunately just too far out of my price range. So it came down to the MR2
and to be honest, as soon as I`d seen what they had done with the new model, I knew that if it
lived up to my brothers rave review after sound..)Lwhich is why I added in my earlier post, the very idea of the MR-S must suit the purchasers ideal
of driving pleasure.Big Smile it was never the end to the means for everyone. I always stressed
that. There are enthusiast whose idea of driving fun is boosting at every squeeze of the trottle
pedal; to others quietness zipping around which is more ideal. (stock wise I havent heard of any
complains that the spyder is loud; in fact most complains were it not loud enough for a sports
car.) In fact most turnoff for most MR2 (gen2) owners were the lack of turbo as an option. (for
the MRS).

typically the target market was not to pitt the MR2 (genII) vs MR-S BUT against the mighty miata
MX5 (Best selling sports car in the world, period), the Rover MG TF, a limited fiat bracetta (dont

ThumbUpThumbUpYes, they did come up with the best roadster in its class (check MR-S vs Miata vs Fiat vs
MG vs pug 206 ) there are tons of this review in UK. so much so that it was label as "almost a
daily elise".

BlackeyeNo, because to succeed the miata; in one of the reasons; toyota must offer more luggage
space then the evergreen Miata. Yota cant do that without sacrificing the fine inter play between
road feel once the weight of car rear overload comes into play (esp the engine is in the rear). One
probably have read of the scary feel once the tail breaks off. Something toyota took pains not to
repeat with the MR-Spyder. Secondly, miata had a longer history in the small roadster category &

there are also opinions of car vs car ownership in the US/UK forums that could provide usefull
idea what to expect.

Lastly I will offer a quote from a UK fellow owner (ex miata). In UK the MR-S is known as MR2
roadster but mostly also referred MR2 -----> Why an MR2? - JuanSolo (UK forumer at http://

My brief was simple; I wanted something that was fun to drive. Out and out performance was not
an issue as I have the Westfield for that. I wanted something that was utterly reliable and could
be used on the odd track day where I simply could not be bothered to drive the Westie to the
event.

Prior to buying the Westie I ran an MX-5 for over two years and planned on buying another. It
was the car that I started doing track days in and was the most reliable, tough and cheap to run
track car I`ve ever owned. A blast to drive on the road and top fun on the track. But after having
a look around the Mazda dealers I took one for a spin and it was all very familiar and nothing
new. It`s not that it was bad, it`s just that I`ve never bought the same car twice, even one as
good as the MX-5.

So, slightly disappointed with my experience with the Mazda I looked at my options. I could buy
a S1 Elise, a car that I love dearly. However that would be more of a replacement for the Westie.
As I know that if I was faced with the option of using the Westie or the Elise, I`d end up using the
Elise every time as it`s far less hassle. Which would leave the Westie redundant. Plus, usable as
an everyday car they may be, but they`re not the most reliable cars in the world. They leak and

The next option was a VX220, better built than the original Elise and I deeply dislike the styling
of the Elise S2 but unfortunately just too far out of my price range. So it came down to the MR2
and to be honest, as soon as I`d seen what they had done with the new model, I knew that if it
lived up to my brothers rave review after sound..)Lwhich is why I added in my earlier post, the very idea of the MR-S must suit the purchasers ideal
the MRS).

daily elise".

idea what to expect.

event.

good as the MX-5.

the MRS).

daily elise".

idea what to expect.

event.

good as the MX-5.

the MRS).

daily elise".

idea what to expect.

event.

a look around the Mazda dealers I took one for a spin and i

andykhy

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:46 PM

andykhy

3rd Gear

• Members
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the info to all sifus, esp koolspyda.

I am thinking of getting it as a weekend car, not on daily usage type of
car. I have a few questions regarding this car.

1) How is the FC like for a car like this, assuming its SMT?
2) On average, what is the maintainence fee like to maintain a MRS?
3) Since its softtop, would it attract more thieves to steal the
accessories. I would presume that it will take lesser time for a thief to
steal something out of a softop car as opposed to any other car.
4) I saw in the paper/website that there's a price range between RM108 -
RM125k, given the same year of prodution (year 2000). Why is there such a
difference? How much difference between a SMT vs a manual MRS in terms of $$?

Smile

abuga

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:46 PM

abuga

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts
Koolspyda,

I find it amusing to compare the MRS to the Elise. But it has to be noted
that they are both MR layout and the Elise IS powered by a toyota engine.

The thing about cars is kinda like women. No one man can appreciate all
women. Each man has a certain preference on looks, character/personality,
etc.

The good thing about cars is that you can take them out for a test
drive... with no ill effects.

Again, I give the warning about MR cars and a particular weakness of the
MR2 / MRS - oversteer. A LOT of people do not know how to deal with
oversteer. And the way the MR2s kicks out, you need to countersteer
faster than you would in an FR otherwise you will spin out. Oh, and
letting go of your throttle during a fast turn in will give you oversteer
too.

Fun stuff though.

Cheers

koolspyda

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:09 PM

koolspyda

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 769 posts
Original Poster : andykhy
Original Post : Thanks for the info to all sifus, esp koolspyda.

1) The new VVTi (as i most new Yotas) are pretty frugal on consumption. Owners amongst us
gets generally gets +-13km per litre. (with couple of mods like straight flow
manifold+aftermarket exhaust only catapults to 10-11km a litre~like mine)
or read this link-->
http://www.spydercha...pic.php?t=31791

2) Like in any car in routine changes. Generally no "special" treatment except if you choose to
shower your little ride with excessive care. FYI a comparision of cost of new clutch & clutch
cover (stock toyota) is under RM600!!

3) I mentioned this in another thread, ANY cabriolet WILL/DRAW attract attention because the
nature of the car. If any thieves decides to steal, then we can only have preventive measures.
It is better to practice safety by no leaving items visible (laptop, handphones, meters, etc), it in
dark alleys, secluded areas, unattended parking areas etc. In fact its the same generic advises for
any new BMW, Merc & SYF (single young females) car owners!!! It is by far much easier & faster
to smash the glass window to access then to cut the vinyl fabric (The MR-S top is made of vinyl
material).

4) Some comes with higher mods/hardtop & condition of car. so the difference is there. I know of
a SMT thats worth consideration due to the condition of it. Look around first if any fancies you,
else you can drop a pm to me. For potential SMT buyers I would always advise to test drive the
car & ask for longer shop "warranty" if possible.

Original Poster : abuga
Original Post : Koolspyda,

::I find it amusing to compare the MRS to the Elise. But it has to be noted
that they are both MR layout and the Elise IS powered by a toyota engine. ::

I know, with upmost respect to the elise S1 & S2 (Esp the S2), the owners in UK can help but to
draw their comparisons to. In short it is closer to the elise then any small roadster bracket. In UK
they owners there have a luxury of choises unlike here in malaysia. I have driven both & i too
share JuanSolo (UK spyder owner) views of elise S1 & spyder. (elise is & has always been the
benchmark for extreame handling experience for roadsters market.)

::Again, I give the warning about MR cars and a particular weakness of the MR2 / MRS -
oversteer. A LOT of people do not know how to deal with oversteer. And the way the MR2s kicks
out, you need to countersteer faster than you would in an FR otherwise you will spin out. Oh, and
letting go of your throttle during a fast turn in will give you oversteer ::

Different drivers adapt differently to car esp the MR layout. It is far more forgiving the latter MR
(successor) in oversteers. The dreaded "snap oversteer" occurs far more easily then. Which the
MR2(gen 2) owners will verify that with the proper set up the will less likey to occur. In may case
(MRS), letting go (off throttle) will always have the car correcting back in. Which is why MR-S is
ever known to be a "drift" car. Maybe mine has a aftermarket suspention to aviliate that, i dont
know. Potential owners can always check us out at some of the local autocross events. (Judge for
yourself if the MRS hopelessly oversteers or not)

koolspyda

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

koolspyda

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 769 posts

Top Gear has a review of the Spyder in the March 2007 issue
(UK edition, not sure about malaysia edition.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

[QUOTES from TopGear] >> *reviewing a 2000-2002 model (not 2003 onward btw)

"With its cury roadster styling, the last-generation MR2 finally entered our psyche as a cool car"

http://i68.photobuck...os/pg1SMALL.jpg

http://i68.photobuck...age2spSMALL.jpg

http://i68.photobuck...os/pg3SMALL.jpg

http://i68.photobuck...hotos/quote.jpg

>>It's in the 'Buyers Guide' section. <<<
They give the MR2 a good review, and that can only help our resale values and desirability as the
years go on.

What else can you buy in the neighborhood of $15,000 and have this much fun with? My other
choices would be an early Porsche 911, a Lotus Elan, or an BMW Z3 M-series coupe.

[QUOTES from TopGear]

"Poor Old Toyota. Despite the MR2, despite the Supra and despite F1, the fact remains that most
people don't associate speedy, fun-to-drive cars with the Japanese giant. This is a crying shame.
It's also somewhat of an oversight."

"... the time has vome to speak up for Toyota's baby sports car."

"Buying an MR2 makes good monetary sense - actually it makes excellent monetary sense."

"Of all the owners we spoke to, a handful had experienced problems, none of them serious. Even
if you decide to sell, the high demand keeping prices buoyant means you probably won't lose
much."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------