Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Review On Bridgestone Ecopia Ep300 From A Pre-(Michelin Energy Xm2) User

Bridgestone Michelin Ecopia EP300 Energy XM2

• Please log in to reply

zisean

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:38 AM

zisean

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts

Car: Honda City 1.5E (2010)

Tyre Size: 185/55 R16

I have been using Michelin Energy XM2 tyre for more than 5 years on my Honda City, and Suzuki Swift. I'm satisfied with the driving experience, but I decided to try new things (Challenging myself :) ). After doing some research online, I found the Bridgestone Ecopia EP300 with quite a number of reviews in car forum and Youtube. It is a budget tyre with around RM190-RM200 in the market.

So I decide to change it for my Honda City and make a review on the Ecopia EP300 compare to my previous experience on the Energy XM2. I will not go through all the specification for both tyres, I will only share the experience of using it.

First, I found that EP300 is harder than XM2 (Due to previous experience, most of my friends say that Michelin tyre will be softer than others). So the grip on the dry road for EP300 is not performing as good as the XM2, but EP300 gives a low rolling resistance, which I feel worth for a long distance highway drive but not so suitable for a high traffic jam. I will give my opinion according to the scenario below.

In High Traffic Jam (For eg. Penang bridge)

On my past experience on the XM2, it is comfortable to drive in a traffic jam situation comparing to EP300 because I need to give 100% of force on my brake(I have changed new brake pads a month ago) to stop my car compare to XM2, about 70-80% of force I can stop my car. It 'scare' me for a few days, when I apply 70-80% force on my brake it still rolls for a distance, feels like going to crash the car in front. But after a few days, I am getting used to EP300 (maybe using XM2 for 5 years, I need some time to refresh my muscle memoryand can handle the brake like normal driving. 
Conclusion: if you are 'OK' with stepping harder on your brake, you have no problem with EP300. For those who just need to stop the car with 'soft' brake, this is not your choice.

On normal road

EP300 just perform like XM2, normal noise level, but pickup faster compares to XM2 because of the low rolling resistance. I found that EP300 is stable at big turn compare to XM2. As I'd said the EP300 has a faster pickup, so if the car in front of you make a sudden stop, it may shock you because if you don't give enough force on your brake, it will still roll for a small distance. 

Conclusion: If you like performance and faster pickup, you can go for EP300, for safety(from shock)  XM2

Speeding at Highway(100km/h)

EP300 does have an advantage on acceleration, you will feel smooth and easy to handle your car when it's in high speed, thanks to its low rolling resistance. Making a tight turn on the highway is also its forte ;).

Conclusion: If you are always on the highway without any traffic jam, EP300 is your choice.

vr2turbo

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:23 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,490 posts

I think your braking problem is due to the new pads. Give it some time to bed in since you only changed it a month ago.

BS stable at big turn could be due to the harder sidewall. As you have mentioned they are harder. There are always pros and cons. Stable ride, less comfort...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bridgestone, Michelin, Ecopia EP300, Energy XM2