Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Toyota Prius Hybrid Inverter Failure At 33000 Km

toyota hybrid Prius inverter

• Please log in to reply

rtiong

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

rtiong

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts

For those looking to buy a Toyota hybrid, here's a personal experience with a brand new Gen 3 Prius which suffered inverter failure at 33000 km.  UMW Toyota quoted a repair cost of RM23,000 as the warranty period has expired.  I was faulted on not getting it serviced at Toyota, even though there is no serviceable parts on the inverter .. basically an electric/electronic control centre.  There was a global recall to fix a software glitch that can damage the inverter at 18,000 km.  I presented my case to Toyota, but to no avail so far other than to waive a labour charge of RM200.

vr2turbo

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:50 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts

That is always the case with most car manufacturer when comes to claims.......

flee

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:59 AM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts

This is one of the reasons why I did not put hybrids or electric cars on my list of cars to buy - they are really not ready for the mass market. So in Malaysia, where car companies are not known for good after sales service, you are basically on your own if you encounter problems.

Regards,
Flee

vr2turbo

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts

But in MY, most SC are like that. The good mechanic will be paid higher elsewhere so they will leave after gaining the experience

flee

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:02 PM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts

But with hybrids, you are really screwed - not much expertise around. At least with conventional cars, spare parts and outside workshops can still be easily found.

So with long term govt. policy on hybrids and electric cars very uncertain, owners of these cars face an uncertain future. I don't think resale values are good.

Regards,
Flee

vr2turbo

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:39 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts

Even conventional cars, those days when they started the OBDII scanner, many outside mechanic cannot afford the scanner. Nowadays even phone apps can scan.....lol

flee

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:18 AM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts

The better workshops have these scanners as more generic scanners are available in the market. If they want to continue in business, they got no choice but to invest as old tech cars are fast disappearing from the roads.

Regards,
Flee

vr2turbo

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:07 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts

Cars are going high tech dy. If check engine light comes on have to use scanner, if not how to find the fault.....lol

flee

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts

Don't talk about new high tech - even vintage tech is also very expensive at UMWT. I know someone paid them RM 3K for a new alternator for her Vios!

Regards,
Flee

vr2turbo

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:43 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts

Wow! RM3k! Yah! I heard something about the Air Con also.....fuh!