Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Using Tyres More Than 3 Years

• Please log in to reply

mik8838

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

mik8838

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Hi All,

I have a question here. My car tyres are dated 2812 which means manufactured in week 28 of year 2012. This is the original tyre that comes with the car when i bought it. The tyre brand is pirelli and made in brazil. Tyres thread is still good which is about 80% with thread and my car mileage is about 47k.

Is it still ok to use these tyres eventhough it's already more than 3 years of life?. I am not sure if imported make tyres is more lasting than made in malaysia tyres.

Seeking for advise.

Thanks and cheers!

vr2turbo

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,471 posts

Hi All,

I have a question here. My car tyres are dated 2812 which means manufactured in week 28 of year 2012. This is the original tyre that comes with the car when i bought it. The tyre brand is pirelli and made in brazil. Tyres thread is still good which is about 80% with thread and my car mileage is about 47k.

Is it still ok to use these tyres eventhough it's already more than 3 years of life?. I am not sure if imported make tyres is more lasting than made in malaysia tyres.

Seeking for advise.

Thanks and cheers!

Some say 4 years and some mention Michelin can go to 6 years, but basically for our hot Malaysian weather I give it 4 years, but then again if you car is parked under the porch and in basement car park most of the time, it may be good for 5 years even.

Best is to check your tyres physically for fine crack lines that may appear in the grooves of the thread pattern and sidewall. If there are, then is best to change the tyres. Not only the fear of tyre bursting, but if crack lines appear means the rubber compound have harden therefore the traction have also degraded and this means in emergency situation may not stop in time.

mik8838

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

mik8838

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
Hi vr2turbo,

Many thanks on your advise.

Cheers!

vr2turbo

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:21 PM