Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Wow, Just A Little Tweak Can Improve Old Car Performance So Much!

• Please log in to reply

evergreen

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

evergreen

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
My old Wira recently was lagging and poor in FC. I asked a familiar mechanic if he could help, he answered " Don't border it, old car is like this one ", so I started thinking if I can DIY on this problem. I browse Autoworld forum patiently, then came to a forum that talk about oxygen sensor. I decided to do the experiment. I removed the oxygen sensor at air intake hose, carefully clean it with Zippo cigarette lighter fluid ( carb cleaner is prefered in the forum ), with soft brush, finally put it back to the hose. Unbelievable ! my 12 years old wira perform like never before, the throttle response swiftly now. I am very happy at the big improvement. I would like to thanks the forumer here, who have make this forum so informative and helpful. smile_thumbup.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:10 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,463 posts
QUOTE (evergreen @ Mar 3 2015, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My old Wira recently was lagging and poor in FC. I asked a familiar mechanic if he could help, he answered " Don't border it, old car is like this one ", so I started thinking if I can DIY on this problem. I browse Autoworld forum patiently, then came to a forum that talk about oxygen sensor. I decided to do the experiment. I removed the oxygen sensor at air intake hose, carefully clean it with Zippo cigarette lighter fluid ( carb cleaner is prefered in the forum ), with soft brush, finally put it back to the hose. Unbelievable ! my 12 years old wira perform like never before, the throttle response swiftly now. I am very happy at the big improvement. I would like to thanks the forumer here, who have make this forum so informative and helpful. smile_thumbup.gif

Hi, glad you found the forum informative...... smile_thumbup.gif

babygrand

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:28 AM

babygrand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
QUOTE (evergreen @ Mar 3 2015, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bro can share step by step how you do it and after clean it can last for how long? The said method can be use for second gen vios?My dugong performance wise is ok but in term of FC it drop already. RM70 for city town driving + highway is around 400km only. Thanks in advanced

vr2turbo

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,463 posts
QUOTE (babygrand @ Mar 5 2015, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro can share step by step how you do it and after clean it can last for how long? The said method can be use for second gen vios?My dugong performance wise is ok but in term of FC it drop already. RM70 for city town driving + highway is around 400km only. Thanks in advanced

I just read his post again, and I think he means the exhaust as oxygen sensor are placed there and not the intake hose.
To get good results after cleaning the oxygen sensor could mean his sensor must be pretty clogged up..... smile_tongue.gif

evergreen

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:01 PM

evergreen

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
I am sorry, actually I meant Mass air flow ( MAF ) sensor. I wet it ( and brush also ) with Zippo lighter fluid, brush it softly, then rinse it with same fluid, let it dry before install back, a very simple job. In youtube, you also can see how guru there clean the MAF sensor, normally they just spray it few time with MAF sensor cleaner or Carb cleaner or CO contact cleaner. It is a good practise to clean this sensor very time the car is serviced.

I heard oxygen sensor at exhaust system is not easy to remove, so I think I will just let mechanic to change it ( some manufacturer recommend to change oxygen sensor every 80k km ).

Upon my experience, sometime we have to DIY on certain car maintenance aspect. One can't depend everything on mechanic. Kindly advise if I have made mistake here. Thanks a lot.

vr2turbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,463 posts
QUOTE (evergreen @ Mar 9 2015, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am sorry, actually I meant Mass air flow ( MAF ) sensor. I wet it ( and brush also ) with Zippo lighter fluid, brush it softly, then rinse it with same fluid, let it dry before install back, a very simple job. In youtube, you also can see how guru there clean the MAF sensor, normally they just spray it few time with MAF sensor cleaner or Carb cleaner or CO contact cleaner. It is a good practise to clean this sensor very time the car is serviced.

I heard oxygen sensor at exhaust system is not easy to remove, so I think I will just let mechanic to change it ( some manufacturer recommend to change oxygen sensor every 80k km ).

Upon my experience, sometime we have to DIY on certain car maintenance aspect. One can't depend everything on mechanic. Kindly advise if I have made mistake here. Thanks a lot.

Oh! If MAF then yes, is at beginning of air intake.....hahaha
MAF also have a few types. If hot wire type my mechanic warned me not to clean because very fragile.
While you are at it, you should try cleaning your throttle body also.... smile_tongue.gif

mghong

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:37 AM

mghong

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts

hot wire type ??? u mean vtec engine or fuel inject one ...vr ???

i come back again this forum ,...now my old wira also got this problem fc and black oil issue.

vr2turbo

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,463 posts

hot wire type ??? u mean vtec engine or fuel inject one ...vr ???

i come back again this forum ,...now my old wira also got this problem fc and black oil issue.

Got problem only come back ah!.....hahhahahhahaha

Anyway welcome back brother mghong. Hot wire is for (MAF) Mass Air Flow sensor. Wira should be MAP sensor

Cybreed

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

Cybreed

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:some things
... maybe I should have a look at my Wira's MAP also... carb cleaner can ka ?
Complain on the present, Blame it on the past.

vr2turbo

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,463 posts

... maybe I should have a look at my Wira's MAP also... carb cleaner can ka ?

Carb cleaner? Yours is fuel injected, right? Buy throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body....