Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Prices Of Tyres Have Come Down

• Please log in to reply

cute_boboi

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:03 AM

cute_boboi

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,883 posts
Prices of tyres have come down

PETALING JAYA: If it’s time to get a new set of tyres for your car, there is reason to cheer.

Prices have come down by quite a bit, with some expensive imported models also now within “reach”.

There is no definite reason given for this, but many tyre shop owners cited falling rubber prices and the coming GST tax for it.

Tyre-shop owner Chin Wai Hong said prices have fallen by between 10% and 15% since September last year.

“I’ve been in the industry for 30 years and have never experienced such a big drop in tyre prices,” he said when met at his shop in Sea Park here yesterday.

Chin said he did not dare hold on to his tyre stock for long due to the decline in prices.

“I don’t want to be buying at a higher price and selling it low. That is why I replenish my stock only when necessary,” he said.

An assistant at the Hin Leong Tyre Shop in Klang said competition was getting more intense among tyre manufacturers.

“From now till Chinese New Year, tyre prices are going to come down. I advise those wanting to get a new set of tyres to take advantage of lower prices now,” she added.

Lim Soo Guan, who owns a tyre shop in USJ, said tyre prices would see a further drop with the implementation of GST.

“Many are speculating that import duty for tyres will drop further starting April 1. That is why manufacturers are trying to push off their stocks now,” he said, adding that he was forced to sell part of his tyre stock at a loss due to the price drop.

Lim said some of the more expensive imported tyres that cost RM500 were now priced at about RM420.

A manager of a retail tyre shop in SS2 also said prices of several tyre brands had dropped, saying the range in drop depended on the size and year of production.

Motorist Jason Ong said he was surprised to find out about the price drop when he went to get his tyres replaced at Hin Leong.

“Tyre prices are generally much cheaper in Klang. I was doubly pleased when I got my Japan-made Toyo C1S tyres for a much lower price,” he added.

"When Columbus started out he didn`t know where he was going. When he got there he didn`t know where he was and when he got back he didn`t know where he had been." - Anonymous

jamespaul

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
QUOTE (cute_boboi @ Jan 15 2015, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Prices of tyres have come down

PETALING JAYA: If it’s time to get a new set of tyres for your car, there is reason to cheer.

Prices have come down by quite a bit, with some expensive imported models also now within “reach”.

There is no definite reason given for this, but many tyre shop owners cited falling rubber prices and the coming GST tax for it.

Tyre-shop owner Chin Wai Hong said prices have fallen by between 10% and 15% since September last year.

“I’ve been in the industry for 30 years and have never experienced such a big drop in tyre prices,” he said when met at his shop in Sea Park here yesterday.

Chin said he did not dare hold on to his tyre stock for long due to the decline in prices.

“I don’t want to be buying at a higher price and selling it low. That is why I replenish my stock only when necessary,” he said.

An assistant at the Hin Leong Tyre Shop in Klang said competition was getting more intense among tyre manufacturers.

“From now till Chinese New Year, tyre prices are going to come down. I advise those wanting to get a new set of tyres to take advantage of lower prices now,” she added.

Lim Soo Guan, who owns a tyre shop in USJ, said tyre prices would see a further drop with the implementation of GST.

“Many are speculating that import duty for tyres will drop further starting April 1. That is why manufacturers are trying to push off their stocks now,” he said, adding that he was forced to sell part of his tyre stock at a loss due to the price drop.

Lim said some of the more expensive imported tyres that cost RM500 were now priced at about RM420.

A manager of a retail tyre shop in SS2 also said prices of several tyre brands had dropped, saying the range in drop depended on the size and year of production.

Motorist Jason Ong said he was surprised to find out about the price drop when he went to get his tyres replaced at Hin Leong.

“Tyre prices are generally much cheaper in Klang. I was doubly pleased when I got my Japan-made Toyo C1S tyres for a much lower price,” he added.

Are you sure?

From what i asked at the shops, is that they bought stock when it was expensive, so they have to still sell expensive?

Please advise which shop has reduced its pricing a lot.

flee

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts
QUOTE (jamespaul @ Jan 15 2015, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what i asked at the shops, is that they bought stock when it was expensive, so they have to still sell expensive?

Please advise which shop has reduced its pricing a lot.
This is, sadly, rather typical of Malaysian traders. When prices go up, they have ZERO old stock. But when prices are reduced, they have PLENTY of old stocks! But it is good that the media is highlighting this so that people are aware and ask about the lower prices when they visit tyre shops.

So, unless your tyres are really worn out, I guess that it is better to wait a while before changing to new tyres.
Regards,
Flee

Mikhai

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

Mikhai

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts
QUOTE (flee @ Jan 15 2015, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is, sadly, rather typical of Malaysian traders. When prices go up, they have ZERO old stock. But when prices are reduced, they have PLENTY of old stocks! But it is good that the media is highlighting this so that people are aware and ask about the lower prices when they visit tyre shops.

So, unless your tyres are really worn out, I guess that it is better to wait a while before changing to new tyres.

Is GST implementation going to make tyre cheaper???
Can someone come up with the reason? Thanks.

vr2turbo

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:57 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (flee @ Jan 15 2015, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same as the petrol thing. Prices up they say no stock, so they hold on and sell higher the next day. Now prices down they cry and say can close down because making losses....... smile_disapprove.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (Mikhai @ Jan 15 2015, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is GST implementation going to make tyre cheaper???
Can someone come up with the reason? Thanks.

I also wondering. Currently sales tax of 10% is at import price, say RM100 x 10%=RM10
So when GST is implemented the product can be selling at RM200, profit added from importer to wholesaler and retailer, so RM200 x 6% =RM12 which is actually higher tax.... smile_angry.gif smile_disapprove.gif

jamespaul

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 16 2015, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also wondering. Currently sales tax of 10% is at import price, say RM100 x 10%=RM10
So when GST is implemented the product can be selling at RM200, profit added from importer to wholesaler and retailer, so RM200 x 6% =RM12 which is actually higher tax.... smile_angry.gif smile_disapprove.gif

in theory, GST would make tyre price cheaper. however, if sellers are unscrupulous, you'll see the same price or higher.

GST requires companies to register to "claim" back taxes. so if a company doesnt register, they'll offset that back to the consumer (tax on tax).

GST is a non people-favorable tax. Manufacturers shouldnt be impacted, only people.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

just like our hawker shops, petrol price go up, they raise.

petrol price come down, price maintain, in fact most place i patron gone up in 2015.

flee

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts
QUOTE (jamespaul @ Jan 19 2015, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in theory, GST would make tyre price cheaper. however, if sellers are unscrupulous, you'll see the same price or higher.

GST requires companies to register to "claim" back taxes. so if a company doesnt register, they'll offset that back to the consumer (tax on tax).

GST is a non people-favorable tax. Manufacturers shouldnt be impacted, only people.

If a company is not registered for GST, they cannot charge GST to their customers. They will just have to absorb the GST paid to their suppliers as cost (just like the present sales and service tax).

Yes, GST is a value added tax and only the end consumer pays it. During the various stages of the supply chain, the tax does not affect GST registered businesses at all. They are merely the government's unpaid tax collectors.

Regards,
Flee

vr2turbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (jamespaul @ Jan 19 2015, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

just like our hawker shops, petrol price go up, they raise.

petrol price come down, price maintain, in fact most place i patron gone up in 2015.

Hawker prices never comes down. Petrol up, they up, rice up, they up, milk up, they up.... smile_angry.gif smile_disapprove.gif

QUOTE (flee @ Jan 19 2015, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If a company is not registered for GST, they cannot charge GST to their customers. They will just have to absorb the GST paid to their suppliers as cost (just like the present sales and service tax).

Yes, GST is a value added tax and only the end consumer pays it. During the various stages of the supply chain, the tax does not affect GST registered businesses at all. They are merely the government's unpaid tax collectors.

Yup, becomes the people's tax..... smile_disapprove.gif smile_angry.gif

Micky78

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:48 PM

Micky78

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

this mth tyre price had increased around RM10 to RM20 pc.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

we all know what coz it...