Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

5 Y/old Myvi Engine Oil

• Please log in to reply

feroz1906

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

feroz1906

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
Hi all, first post. Ive been reading the forums for like 4-5 hours now and still getting dizzy.

Situation: My bro gave me his MyVi Ezi 1.3 2008/2009 recently and now its due for service. Im looking at choosing what good engine oil to buy for it. My bro told me hes only been using cheap mineral oils past couple of years. Since the car is like 5/6 years old, i thought im going to feed it with at least semi syntethic from now on.

I got the 5/30w bit, i kinda understand about looking for a high TBN value. But all these API SL SC etc etc scares the sh1t outta me. So many to chose from, Shell, Magnatec, Pennzoil Titanium... Im a slow and careful driver. My main aim is to take care of the engine so it runs smoothly. As the car is 5 years ++ already, should i be changing it to 10/40 for thicker oil for less friction or stays 30w?

Can someone suggest me a good semi-synthethic engine oil brand for this exact car?

Ty

vr2turbo

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:45 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,465 posts
QUOTE (feroz1906 @ Dec 11 2014, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all, first post. Ive been reading the forums for like 4-5 hours now and still getting dizzy.

Situation: My bro gave me his MyVi Ezi 1.3 2008/2009 recently and now its due for service. Im looking at choosing what good engine oil to buy for it. My bro told me hes only been using cheap mineral oils past couple of years. Since the car is like 5/6 years old, i thought im going to feed it with at least semi syntethic from now on.

I got the 5/30w bit, i kinda understand about looking for a high TBN value. But all these API SL SC etc etc scares the sh1t outta me. So many to chose from, Shell, Magnatec, Pennzoil Titanium... Im a slow and careful driver. My main aim is to take care of the engine so it runs smoothly. As the car is 5 years ++ already, should i be changing it to 10/40 for thicker oil for less friction or stays 30w?

Can someone suggest me a good semi-synthethic engine oil brand for this exact car?

Ty

Any branded SS oil will be good. If your engine is not consuming engine oil stay on to 5w-30 or 10w-30.
API SL, SM are the standard the oil have been tested up to. Latest is SN, but that does not mean they are the best just that they meet the requirement and it can be like environmental rather then on performance.
For your Myvi, the SM grade is good enough and to keep it tip top do your Oil change interval regularly, so if 5k km OCI stick to that. New oil always makes the engine happy.... smile_thumbup.gif

rallychamp

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:47 AM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
QUOTE (feroz1906 @ Dec 11 2014, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ty

any 5w-30/10w-30 engine oil is good for u...even the common brand cheapest like castrol/shell/petronas/mobil/bhp/penzoil normal oil is ok for u..not going to race or anything fast right?? why spending money on things u didnt need

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

feroz1906

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

feroz1906

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
Yah rallychamp, am not going for races or anything, just commuting to work in the city. I just thought the car needed better care in terms of oil since it has done nearly 150k on the meter. I think ill give the Pennzoil Platinum semi 5/30 a try this time. Just hope i didnt get cheated by the spareparts shop getting recycled oil or things like that. Any chance Pennzoil oil getting sold at any supermarkets?

Anyway, Thanks for the input guys. smile_blush.gif

hcgui

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

hcgui

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
QUOTE (feroz1906 @ Dec 12 2014, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yah rallychamp, am not going for races or anything, just commuting to work in the city. I just thought the car needed better care in terms of oil since it has done nearly 150k on the meter. I think ill give the Pennzoil Platinum semi 5/30 a try this time. Just hope i didnt get cheated by the spareparts shop getting recycled oil or things like that. Any chance Pennzoil oil getting sold at any supermarkets?

Anyway, Thanks for the input guys. smile_blush.gif

if u're looking for 5W-30, lately at AEON i saw they're selling Mitsubishi Genuine Oil FS 5W-30 for around RM130. Don't worry even if urs is not a Mitusubishi, as the oil is blended by Eneos and it meets API SM.

I've tried the Mitsu FS 5W-40 in my BLM and it really is very smooth. 5W-30 is too thin for my engine tho.

And yes, Aeon do carry Pennzoil as well.

feroz1906

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:19 PM

feroz1906

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
Just got back from a sparepart shop in Bandar Sri Damansara, had a look on the price of the original Perodua Oil 5/30 and the Pennzoil Platinum 5/30. Both priced at RM 85 each. Almost same spec i believe. The guy said can stretch to 7000km but i think ill follow bro turbo's advice keeping the OCI low at 5k, maybe 6k hehe.

Next gonna drop to Aeon and had a look at the oils there: thanks hcgui for the tip. smile_blush.gif Maybe have to wait till the 28th for the 5% Aeon member discount zzzzz..

Also, would like to mention, the forum has been very helpful. Been reading for few days, maybe need to cough up some minor items also like new cabin filter and new spark plugs.

Thanks alot and keep up the good work. smile_thumbup.gif

hcgui

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

hcgui

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
no problem. sharing is caring. smile_tongue.gif

btw it's AEON aka JUSCO, not Aeon Big. AEON do hv their members day every first (or last?) saturday of the mth and they'll give RM10 voucher for every RM100 purchased.

vr2turbo

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,465 posts
QUOTE (hcgui @ Dec 12 2014, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no problem. sharing is caring. smile_tongue.gif

btw it's AEON aka JUSCO, not Aeon Big. AEON do hv their members day every first (or last?) saturday of the mth and they'll give RM10 voucher for every RM100 purchased.

Yup, main purpose share our knowledge, ideas and even where can get cheaper products to benefit all mah!... smile_thumbup.gif

I thought that promo is every now and then only as they will inform the members. Is not a monthly affair, right?
I do that now since I am using 5w-40, so their Mitsu FS oil at RM119, will cost RM109 with RM10 voucher and I collect points too....hahhaha smile_tongue.gif
At RM109 for FS already much cheaper then most branded oil even compared to Spare part shops.
Only other oil cheap are those on offer at Tesco.... smile_wink.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,465 posts
QUOTE (feroz1906 @ Dec 12 2014, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got back from a sparepart shop in Bandar Sri Damansara, had a look on the price of the original Perodua Oil 5/30 and the Pennzoil Platinum 5/30. Both priced at RM 85 each. Almost same spec i believe. The guy said can stretch to 7000km but i think ill follow bro turbo's advice keeping the OCI low at 5k, maybe 6k hehe.

Next gonna drop to Aeon and had a look at the oils there: thanks hcgui for the tip. smile_blush.gif Maybe have to wait till the 28th for the 5% Aeon member discount zzzzz..

Also, would like to mention, the forum has been very helpful. Been reading for few days, maybe need to cough up some minor items also like new cabin filter and new spark plugs.

Thanks alot and keep up the good work. smile_thumbup.gif

That is why for normal use no need get expensive oil. Buy mid range then do more frequent OIC at 5k km. New oil good for the engine, and draining the old oil takes the dirt out.... smile_tongue.gif