Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Hyundai Avante 2010 X20 Heating Up + Aircond Not Cold

• Please log in to reply

kelvinhunt

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

kelvinhunt

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
Hi All,
Need some some urgent assistance.

Today (14th July 2014), I encountered an issue with my car (Avante X20 - 2010 model, mileage slightly below 60k km) where the car suddenly heated up as soon as I reached home where I thought the a/c was not functioning but all of a sudden I heard some noise originating from the engine (not the usual sound) and noticed when popped up the hood, water was bubbling in the coolant spare tank.

The coolant water had started to pour out from the spare tank through a small outlet hole just below the cover area.

From there I had cooled the engine bay by using a table fan - temp went from nearly red to below normal operating temperature in about 20- 30 mins or so.

The symptoms were such that my airconditioner all of a sudden became warm (tried changing temperature settings, on/off the a/c and switched off the engine and let it cool down - again it occured).

Check all components, fuses and connectors and it all seemed ok.

Let the car cool down for nearly an hour or so before topping up some amount of water (as once cooled down, water was at min level).

Took it to Service Centre in Jln 223 and was checked but could not simulate the situation (at that moment).

Was advised by service personnel to send it over to Hyundai Sime Darby in Shah Alam for further evaluation (but di not
have the time).

Anyway again at night while going to Bangsar Village (no jam), the same symptom occured where the a/c started to get warm and fortunately no overheating as I had managed to park in less than a minute.

However upon return, stopped over in PJ old town to purchase some fruits and while idling for about 10 minutes, the same occurence occured.

Here I switched off the a/c and drove back home and let the car cool down.

1. Has anyone had encountered such incident similar to this?
2. Appreciate if this experience be shared as I want to overcome the situation with the most appropriate solution at the
earliest.

Regards
Kelvin

kelvinhunt

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

kelvinhunt

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
Hi,
Some updates of actions taken on my own (DIY).

1. Swapped 2 relays between horn and A/c (20A rating).

2. Swapped another 2 relays (most likely 30A) just beside the 50A (black relays).

3. Checked fan condition and seem to be smooth when rotating (no noise as well as manually rotated the fan with ease).

4. Opened and checked the ECU connectors and a number of electrical related connector in the negine compartment to verify whether any moisture formation but did not find any.

Drove to KLIA 2 and found so far all are normal (today is public holiday in S'gor - less traffic).

Anyway will be away for a while and once am back will continue to post further updates.

Acid test will be done upon return by switching on a/c, lights and by letting the car be in park position in the house (simulation of non moving traffic condition). If the occurence does takes place, then most likely will have to make my way to Subang Glenmarie for their further diagnosis.

If anyone knows of a shop which is familiar with Hyundai Avante's- that would be very much appreciated.

Present suspicion, is most likely intermittent electrical connectivity or intermittent relay issue (dry contact possibility).

Happy Motoring

nahs85

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

nahs85

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
Hi Mr Kelvin,

This is the symptom of overheating. When the coolant temperature rise over the standard level, the air cond will turn to warm. It's not a problem with your air cond actually. We need to check the radiator fan, radiator hoses, radiator and also thermostat. Kindly please make appointment with us for checking. Kindly ease call 03-76282500 to make appointment. Maybe you need to leave your car here overnight. So please be prepared to park your car here overnight. Anything kindly please let me know.

Thanks & Regards.
Shan Kumar

QUOTE (kelvinhunt @ Jul 14 2014, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All,

Today (14th July 2014), I encountered an issue with my car (Avante X20 - 2010 model, mileage slightly below 60k km) where the car suddenly heated up as soon as I reached home where I thought the a/c was not functioning but all of a sudden I heard some noise originating from the engine (not the usual sound) and noticed when popped up the hood, water was bubbling in the coolant spare tank.

The coolant water had started to pour out from the spare tank through a small outlet hole just below the cover area.

From there I had cooled the engine bay by using a table fan - temp went from nearly red to below normal operating temperature in about 20- 30 mins or so.

The symptoms were such that my airconditioner all of a sudden became warm (tried changing temperature settings, on/off the a/c and switched off the engine and let it cool down - again it occured).

Let the car cool down for nearly an hour or so before topping up some amount of water (as once cooled down, water was at min level).

Took it to Service Centre in Jln 223 and was checked but could not simulate the situation (at that moment).

Was advised by service personnel to send it over to Hyundai Sime Darby in Shah Alam for further evaluation (but di not
have the time).

Anyway again at night while going to Bangsar Village (no jam), the same symptom occured where the a/c started to get warm and fortunately no overheating as I had managed to park in less than a minute.

However upon return, stopped over in PJ old town to purchase some fruits and while idling for about 10 minutes, the same occurence occured.

2. Appreciate if this experience be shared as I want to overcome the situation with the most appropriate solution at the
earliest.

Regards
Kelvin

kelvinhunt

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

kelvinhunt

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
Hi Shan,
Noted your feedback and response.

I will try to drop off the vehicle soon if the matter remains unresolved during my upcoming test this weekend.

I would not mind to leave my car overnight as I would be away for a couple of days next week and I could slot this in if there are no alternative approach.

From your statement "This is the symptom of overheating. When the coolant temperature rise over the standard level, the air cond will turn to warm. It's not a problem with your air cond actually."
--> I did notice there was no abnormal temperature indication while driving until i reached home and switched off the engine (then the radiator water with coolant started to boil over). And once I had turn the key at ignition without starting the car, noticed the temperature shooting up! Agreed that it is not an aircond problem.

Shall revert soon and look forward for your feedback.

Thanks
Kelvin

ayluvb3ech

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

ayluvb3ech

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 709 posts
QUOTE (kelvinhunt @ Jul 14 2014, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All,

have the time).

earliest.

Regards
Kelvin

seems like thermostat problem. I kena before on my NF. Just replace thermostat will be fine.

Hyundai Sonata NF 2.0 (G4KA)

kelvinhunt

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

kelvinhunt

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
Noted your feedback and will keep that in mind as well during troubleshooting period.
If nothing of electrical fault could be found, then most likely this (thermostat) would be the next probability to pursue.
I had encountered with my waja 1.8X thermostat issue but seems like the symptoms here does not match completely.
Anyway thanks for your input and will surely give that a check (or replcement).
Sincerely appreciate your advice.
Kelvin

ayluvb3ech

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

ayluvb3ech

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 709 posts
QUOTE (kelvinhunt @ Jul 17 2014, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Noted your feedback and will keep that in mind as well during troubleshooting period.
If nothing of electrical fault could be found, then most likely this (thermostat) would be the next probability to pursue.
I had encountered with my waja 1.8X thermostat issue but seems like the symptoms here does not match completely.
Anyway thanks for your input and will surely give that a check (or replcement).
Sincerely appreciate your advice.
Kelvin

my NF had the same issue. temp move slightly higher than normal, the a/c will shut off.

the thermostat is cheap to replace.

kelvinhunt

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:43 AM

kelvinhunt

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
Hi ayluvb3ech,
Noted with many thanks on your suggested approach which I will consider as part of preventative maintenance as well.

I had dropped my car in Hyundai Glenmarie on Saturday due to temperature rising again upon my return from airport.

Earlier this week, the service advisor had called and updated me that the fan was not functioning as well as a "resistor" which had something to do with the fan's high and low speed. This resistor played apart in providing the needful supply to trigger the fan but was found unable to give the "juice" required.

Anyway upon my return from my travels this coming week, I will drop by to collect the car.

Will hopefully post the technical clarification provided.

Present cost of impact for this is about RM500+ for fan, RM90 + for resistor and labour (service advisor indicated there would be some disc.) est at RM40.

A dent in my wallet but luckily not such a great impact if the engine had been impacted significantly.

Will continue posting the final cost impact as well as technical outcome.

Regards
Kelvin

ayluvb3ech

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

ayluvb3ech

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 709 posts
QUOTE (kelvinhunt @ Jul 23 2014, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi ayluvb3ech,
Noted with many thanks on your suggested approach which I will consider as part of preventative maintenance as well.

I had dropped my car in Hyundai Glenmarie on Saturday due to temperature rising again upon my return from airport.

Earlier this week, the service advisor had called and updated me that the fan was not functioning as well as a "resistor" which had something to do with the fan's high and low speed. This resistor played apart in providing the needful supply to trigger the fan but was found unable to give the "juice" required.

Anyway upon my return from my travels this coming week, I will drop by to collect the car.

Will hopefully post the technical clarification provided.

Present cost of impact for this is about RM500+ for fan, RM90 + for resistor and labour (service advisor indicated there would be some disc.) est at RM40.

A dent in my wallet but luckily not such a great impact if the engine had been impacted significantly.

Will continue posting the final cost impact as well as technical outcome.

Regards
Kelvin

that's how mechanics make money. even those legit service centres..

i bet 98% u're being taken for a ride.

at 60k km/ 2010, there's NO WAY a fan can fail.. and NO WAY can a relay fail as well at that mileage/age...

the actual cost of repair might be rm70 only including labour. (Thermostat costs between RM25-RM36)

Having said that, if they replaced the fan & relay..do get those items back from them just to ensure that they really changed the items.. *also to prevent them from conning their next customer that they’re having the same problem and can be replaced with good condition second hand replacement parts*

really tired and sick of dishonest mechanics. it really pays to know basic car maintenance and repair.

raymondcn

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

raymondcn

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
QUOTE (ayluvb3ech @ Jul 23 2014, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's how mechanics make money. even those legit service centres..

i bet 98% u're being taken for a ride.

at 60k km/ 2010, there's NO WAY a fan can fail.. and NO WAY can a relay fail as well at that mileage/age...

the actual cost of repair might be rm70 only including labour. (Thermostat costs between RM25-RM36)

Having said that, if they replaced the fan & relay..do get those items back from them just to ensure that they really changed the items.. *also to prevent them from conning their next customer that they’re having the same problem and can be replaced with good condition second hand replacement parts*

really tired and sick of dishonest mechanics. it really pays to know basic car maintenance and repair.

Thank you "ayluvb3ech" . You are spot on!.
Keep up the good work.