Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Steering Problem

• Please log in to reply

yazir20

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:56 PM

yazir20

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Hi guys i'm new here and pls bear wif my english coz nt dat good...hehe. Niwei i'm using 7th gen honda accord year 2004 and i bought it last year. Now the problem was my car steering slightly move 2 left and right during speeding and during cornering. I already did alignment n dat foreman said upper arm need 2 change. So i went 2 other workshop for confirmation bt this guy said it coz of rear lower arm. I'm totally confused. So wat i did....juz went 2 honda SC and asked them 2 do overall inspection. So they recommen me 2 changed :
1. Front RHS upper arm
2. Front absorser coz it started 2 leak
3. Stabilizer link
4. Front lower arm bush ( left and right) coz broked
So i went to spare part n bought them all n changed it at workshop. Now my car handling feel better than previously bt for steering part still cause the same result.
Autoworld experts....... Pls help me 2 solve this prob

vr2turbo

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (yazir20 @ Jun 1 2014, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys i'm new here and pls bear wif my english coz nt dat good...hehe. Niwei i'm using 7th gen honda accord year 2004 and i bought it last year. Now the problem was my car steering slightly move 2 left and right during speeding and during cornering. I already did alignment n dat foreman said upper arm need 2 change. So i went 2 other workshop for confirmation bt this guy said it coz of rear lower arm. I'm totally confused. So wat i did....juz went 2 honda SC and asked them 2 do overall inspection. So they recommen me 2 changed :
1. Front RHS upper arm
2. Front absorser coz it started 2 leak
3. Stabilizer link
4. Front lower arm bush ( left and right) coz broked
So i went to spare part n bought them all n changed it at workshop. Now my car handling feel better than previously bt for steering part still cause the same result.
Autoworld experts....... Pls help me 2 solve this prob

Since this is specific make of car why not post in Honda topic forum too....
For me, I would send back to Honda SC if you cannot get it solved. You have done it before...

yazir20

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

yazir20

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jun 2 2014, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me, I would send back to Honda SC if you cannot get it solved. You have done it before...

Hmm datz right.... maybe i should bring my car 2 another honda SC

cendana287

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

cendana287

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jun 2 2014, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are supposed to the *the* experts when it comes to Honda vehicles and should have gotten everything right the first time. I don't go to these service centres after the warranty period is over because they are significantly more expensive. Proton and Perodua - for sure. It's probably the same with the other makes - the markup for parts is often at least 25% more. The only plus factor in going to these SCs is that they "should" know more about a make since it's their bread and butter. But many independent workshops nowadays have the same level of skill, knowledge and equipment too. It's just a question of finding one that's conveniently located. As suggested by vr2turbo, the people at the specific forums would know where these workshops are.

I really don't like it when workshops need a few tries before they finally hit it. Sometimes, they'd replace expensive parts that are perfectly fine, only to discover later on - after a few thousand ringgit had been needlessly spent - that the real solution is something way cheaper. Admittedly, sometimes the problem is indeed very complicated and does necessitate a few tries. When even the seeming pros aren't sure, the best way is to go through the "Cheapest repair first" and work upwards until the problem and solution are eventually found and rectified.

Anyway, as for the original issue - when it comes to the car pulling towards the left or right, another possibility could be the brakes: either the pads or rotors/discs, or even both. Some cars may have rotors that are severely warped due to heat (often caused by the previous boy racer type). This would then affect the pads too. When combined, they result in the wheel being slightly out of alignment and pulling on the some steering-related component.

yazir20

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

yazir20

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
QUOTE (cendana287 @ Jun 2 2014, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are supposed to the *the* experts when it comes to Honda vehicles and should have gotten everything right the first time. I don't go to these service centres after the warranty period is over because they are significantly more expensive. Proton and Perodua - for sure. It's probably the same with the other makes - the markup for parts is often at least 25% more. The only plus factor in going to these SCs is that they "should" know more about a make since it's their bread and butter. But many independent workshops nowadays have the same level of skill, knowledge and equipment too. It's just a question of finding one that's conveniently located. As suggested by vr2turbo, the people at the specific forums would know where these workshops are.

I really don't like it when workshops need a few tries before they finally hit it. Sometimes, they'd replace expensive parts that are perfectly fine, only to discover later on - after a few thousand ringgit had been needlessly spent - that the real solution is something way cheaper. Admittedly, sometimes the problem is indeed very complicated and does necessitate a few tries. When even the seeming pros aren't sure, the best way is to go through the "Cheapest repair first" and work upwards until the problem and solution are eventually found and rectified.

Anyway, as for the original issue - when it comes to the car pulling towards the left or right, another possibility could be the brakes: either the pads or rotors/discs, or even both. Some cars may have rotors that are severely warped due to heat (often caused by the previous boy racer type). This would then affect the pads too. When combined, they result in the wheel being slightly out of alignment and pulling on the some steering-related component.

Owh ok i vil check it out wif my foreman.. Is there any chances coz of steering rack problem?
Wat is the sign of the bad steering rack?

cendana287

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

cendana287

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
QUOTE (yazir20 @ Jun 2 2014, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Owh ok i vil check it out wif my foreman.. Is there any chances coz of steering rack problem?

Since you mentioned the car would sway, anything related to the steering system should not be ruled out. From the first post, you had already changed some of the parts that are related to the steering. If it's the steering rack, I'm surprised the SC didn't say anything about it. After all, that would be one of the usual suspects. The SC not mentioning it might actually be good news, if it's not faulty. It is rather costly although potong or rebuilt units could be found.

Shine a torchlight around the area inside the engine bay - are there any signs of oil/fluid on the metal parts? Or underneath the car after you had parked for a few hours? My car had a problem with the steering some time ago. There was a leak due to some gasket failing. Fortunately, I didn't have to replace the whole steering rack - just some mechanical component within the system. But anyway, there was absolutely no swaying or whatever of the sort with my car then - just that the steering fluid needed to be refilled every day (when everything is fine, as now, one doesn't need to add a drop of fluid for at least a year).

yazir20

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

yazir20

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
QUOTE (cendana287 @ Jun 2 2014, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since you mentioned the car would sway, anything related to the steering system should not be ruled out. From the first post, you had already changed some of the parts that are related to the steering. If it's the steering rack, I'm surprised the SC didn't say anything about it. After all, that would be one of the usual suspects. The SC not mentioning it might actually be good news, if it's not faulty. It is rather costly although potong or rebuilt units could be found.

Shine a torchlight around the area inside the engine bay - are there any signs of oil/fluid on the metal parts? Or underneath the car after you had parked for a few hours? My car had a problem with the steering some time ago. There was a leak due to some gasket failing. Fortunately, I didn't have to replace the whole steering rack - just some mechanical component within the system. But anyway, there was absolutely no swaying or whatever of the sort with my car then - just that the steering fluid needed to be refilled every day (when everything is fine, as now, one doesn't need to add a drop of fluid for at least a year).

I think there is no leakage coz recently i went 2 workshop for servicing and the foreman didnt mention anytin bout leakage during topup power steering fluid..

vr2turbo

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (yazir20 @ Jun 2 2014, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Steering free play OK? Should not be too loose.
Check the steering rack mounting too, the rubber will harden and the steering will go loose too...

yazir20

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

yazir20

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Yesterday i wen to shop wif my frens having breakfirst then only i realise my car right hand side was lower than LHS. So i went 2 workshop and asked them 2 rectify it. Foreman said absorber mount need to change together wif spring coz itz already 10 years old.
Is it related to steering issue as i said earlier during speeding my car steering slight move to left & right???

vr2turbo

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (yazir20 @ Jun 5 2014, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yesterday i wen to shop wif my frens having breakfirst then only i realise my car right hand side was lower than LHS. So i went 2 workshop and asked them 2 rectify it. Foreman said absorber mount need to change together wif spring coz itz already 10 years old.
Is it related to steering issue as i said earlier during speeding my car steering slight move to left & right???

To me it is not related, but since suspension already need to repair, might as well change and see if it does anything to your steering problem... smile_tongue.gif