Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Car Battery Or Spark Plugs

• Please log in to reply

der

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

der

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
I am in a dilemma,

my car needs to turn a few time to start

My normal mech says something wrong with the starter - dirty or something ask me to see the car electrician, no need to change the plugs.

The car electrician says the spark plug is giving the problem and ask to change the plugs.

3rd opinion says maybe the car batt not enough cranking power coz the batt I'm using now is not that efficient. How to check cranking power?

The car batt wet cell CENTURY NS60 installed in FEB14. (It was bought in JAN14. Sorry for the confusion)

The spark plug... well I haven't changed for I dont know how long.. heheheheheh

So which one should I change? Battery or plugs? I just wanna this problem to end.

Yours truly
Confused person.
guide the machine dont fight the machine, diminishing abrasives

V406198

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (der @ Apr 28 2014, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am in a dilemma,

My normal mech says something wrong with the starter - dirty or something ask me to see the car electrician, no need to change the plugs.

The car electrician says the spark plug is giving the problem and ask to change the plugs.

3rd opinion says maybe the car batt not enough cranking power coz the batt I'm using now is not that efficient. How to check cranking power?

The car batt wet cell CENTURY NS60 installed in FEB14.

So which one should I change? Battery or plugs? I just wanna this problem to end.

Yours truly
Confused person.

change with the cheaper item first...
2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.

davidlow7

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

davidlow7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
QUOTE (V406198 @ Apr 28 2014, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
change with the cheaper item first...

Yeap, this will usually be the option if you are down with too many choices and without even any clue on which to go.

Spark Plug is the cheapest of all these...

Also, your battery should be under warranty hence it may be the zero cost item for change. If you have a battery tester then it will be the best - test it every morning.

der

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

der

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
QUOTE (davidlow7 @ Apr 28 2014, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeap, this will usually be the option if you are down with too many choices and without even any clue on which to go.

Spark Plug is the cheapest of all these...

Also, your battery should be under warranty hence it may be the zero cost item for change. If you have a battery tester then it will be the best - test it every morning.

Dear bros Davidlow and V406198,

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I should invest by buying a battery tester. Good idea. Since I will be using the car only on weekends, I have ample time to check the batt condition before I make a decision.

I try and look for it at Ace hardware if I have the time today. And will post the reading for comments.

Thanks

vr2turbo

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,471 posts
QUOTE (der @ Apr 28 2014, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am in a dilemma,

The car batt wet cell CENTURY NS60 installed in FEB14.

Yours truly
Confused person.

When you mention turn a few times to start, means your battery can still crank, right? then is not battery problem.
Since you use only on weekends, probably the fueling is not enough to crank the engine on first 2 cranks or so. My car if used daily, normally one crank the next morning, but if I did not drive it for 2 to 3 days needs 2 cranks.... smile_tongue.gif
Anyway, since you have not changed the plugs for some time already, might as well try changing the plugs first... smile_wink.gif

der

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

der

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
Bro vrturbo,

thank for the suggestion, My normal foreman is kinda stubborn, I think his motto is "if it is not broken, don't fix it".

I went to Ace hardware yesterday, the only batt tester they have is the kind that we put into the cigarrete lighter point, turn the engine on for a few minutes, leave the headlights on and then switch off engine with the lights on. No meter but just lights that will tell you batt condition.

Am going to Jln pAsar to look for other batt tester today.

Or is there anyone that can point me on where to buy a batt tester?

Gunnerzz

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
plug is cheap,have a look at it.easy replacement.

how old is yr car?

der

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

der

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
8 years this AUG14.

I will change the plugs soon.

I admit I use the car only on weekends but this starting problem only surface recently. Must be the plugs.

I just came back from Jalan Pasar. 2 shops selling the battery tester.

1 cost RM28-00 only show the condition no reading.

1 cost RM250-00 shows reading (this one big and look like for mechanics)

I just wanna have a batt tester with reading that is not expansive,,

Well gotta hunt again...

Gunnerzz

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:57 AM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
if the plug does not cure the problem, i suggest u do additional grounding.
it solve hard starting on both my pajero and my moms wira.both are more than 10 yrs old.

vr2turbo

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,471 posts
QUOTE (der @ Apr 29 2014, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
8 years this AUG14.

I will change the plugs soon.

I admit I use the car only on weekends but this starting problem only surface recently. Must be the plugs.

I just came back from Jalan Pasar. 2 shops selling the battery tester.

1 cost RM28-00 only show the condition no reading.

1 cost RM250-00 shows reading (this one big and look like for mechanics)

I just wanna have a batt tester with reading that is not expansive,,

Well gotta hunt again...

No point spending money on the so called battery tester with reading. Just shows you the voltage. Battery dead you cannot crank at all. The battery tester at the battery shop is a load tester. They draw current from the battery then pick up the reading. If still in good condition it will maintain in the green zone. If not, then will drop to red zone...