Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Which Car To Buy?

• Please log in to reply

avionics

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

avionics

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
Hi sifu's,

I've been looking to purchase a new car.I prefer a car which has low maintenance fee and good fc.

1.volkswagon polo sedan rm87k.. i love the brand,but this is a new car with very basic spec,how is the fc and maintenance cost?
2.honda city 2014 est.rm 90k.. has the latest tech,but somehow a common car
3.peugeot 408 rm95k..a 2.0l car for the price of city..very worthy
4.honda civic hybrid rm120k..this is my last choice as its expensive but good fc?since its hybrid.

Why Toyota altis is not in the list is bcoz its a rather hefty price with little feature although its the most reliable and vios is only using a new mask.
Can help give some opinion?

TQTQ
Hai m so naive.

stsum

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

stsum

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
QUOTE (avionics @ Mar 10 2014, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi sifu's,

I've been looking to purchase a new car.I prefer a car which has low maintenance fee and good fc.

1.volkswagon polo sedan rm87k.. i love the brand,but this is a new car with very basic spec,how is the fc and maintenance cost?
4.honda civic hybrid rm120k..this is my last choice as its expensive but good fc?since its hybrid.

Why Toyota altis is not in the list is bcoz its a rather hefty price with little feature although its the most reliable and vios is only using a new mask.

TQTQ

if you want performance car go for VW polo with cheapest among your choice.(beware of DSG problem)
if you looking for long lasting and lower maintenance , go for Japanese car.

vr2turbo

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (avionics @ Mar 10 2014, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi sifu's,

TQTQ

Probably need to go Jap.....

jamespaul

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
probably Honda City.

based on your priorities of low FC and low maintenance.

jn1957

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

jn1957

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
I wouldn't recommend any Peugeot and Volkswagen models. Please take the effort to check with the existing car owners.

Recently there was a protest at the Volkswagen Showroom in Glenmarie. Customers were upset their new cars had major problems including gearbox failure. Volkswagen refuse to fix it on grounds that techinically the warranty is void because the failed to service their car within the mileage guide. Other repairs also took too long as they were waiting for spareparts!!!

Once you buy the car, you will have to frequent the service centre. Have a backup car because it won't be repaired too soon.

I have peugeot which is three years old. Had to change four batteries over the three years. Only after the warranty expired they say the alternator is faulty. Had to replace the alternator at my cost. Now I have temperature issues, poor idling and of course the gear box problem.

For the past one year have been complaining about the gear box problem (Slips to 3rd when shift from 1st to 2nd). They have tried to fix it three times but the problem persist. Yet they refuse to replace a new gear box. My car is still in the service center since last month and they didn't even provide a replacement car!!!

Think carefully when buying from Peugeot and Volkswagen. These cheap continental brands are not worth the trouble.

jamespaul

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
QUOTE (jn1957 @ Apr 17 2014, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't recommend any Peugeot and Volkswagen models. Please take the effort to check with the existing car owners.

Recently there was a protest at the Volkswagen Showroom in Glenmarie. Customers were upset their new cars had major problems including gearbox failure. Volkswagen refuse to fix it on grounds that techinically the warranty is void because the failed to service their car within the mileage guide. Other repairs also took too long as they were waiting for spareparts!!!

Once you buy the car, you will have to frequent the service centre. Have a backup car because it won't be repaired too soon.

I have peugeot which is three years old. Had to change four batteries over the three years. Only after the warranty expired they say the alternator is faulty. Had to replace the alternator at my cost. Now I have temperature issues, poor idling and of course the gear box problem.

For the past one year have been complaining about the gear box problem (Slips to 3rd when shift from 1st to 2nd). They have tried to fix it three times but the problem persist. Yet they refuse to replace a new gear box. My car is still in the service center since last month and they didn't even provide a replacement car!!!

Think carefully when buying from Peugeot and Volkswagen. These cheap continental brands are not worth the trouble.

i couldnt agree more. i would never recommend anyone to buy VW, unless he or she is my enemy.

Peugeot, no comment as i dont have first hand experience.

vr2turbo

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (jamespaul @ Apr 17 2014, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i couldnt agree more. i would never recommend anyone to buy VW, unless he or she is my enemy.

Peugeot, no comment as i dont have first hand experience.

PUG, I have a few complaints from friends and members already. However their problems shows up later in the years unlike VW which have problems from the start. Well,also not good if the problems starts after warranty.
My friend have claimed the Gear box, the turbo unit, battery also I think twice.

jamespaul

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

jamespaul

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Apr 18 2014, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PUG, I have a few complaints from friends and members already. However their problems shows up later in the years unlike VW which have problems from the start. Well,also not good if the problems starts after warranty.
My friend have claimed the Gear box, the turbo unit, battery also I think twice.

problems showing up after warranty is usually normal wear and tear.

problems showing up after buying car is unreliable. VW = unreliable. Fiat = unreliable.

Breadman

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

Breadman

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
Make a wrong choice and you end up being a slave to the car and car distributor. Never buy something just because it is relatively cheap, say comparing with a Merc or BMW.

Good luck. smile.gif

"Behind every great fortune there is a crime." ~ Mario Puzo (The Godfather)

vr2turbo

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (jamespaul @ Apr 18 2014, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
problems showing up after warranty is usually normal wear and tear.

problems showing up after buying car is unreliable. VW = unreliable. Fiat = unreliable.

Those are worse when they have same problems, then the car got issues already..... smile_blackeye.gif